Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost or Rare Factory Studebaker Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost or Rare Factory Studebaker Stories?

Since I was a kid i've heard tales of unebelievable barn finds and extremely rare 1 of 1 cars that are still unaccounted for such as:

Jim Morrison's (of "The Doors") missing/vanished Shelby GT500KR he wrecked after a bit of partying... and basically left it where he wrecked it.

Ed Roth's, not-so-hot-at-the-time-it-was-built, "Orbitron" that was just located down in Mexico.

A '68 GT350 was just located in Mexico with over 200k on the original untouched engine and trans... still running errands in Mexico City by a person that just used it as a day to day car. (made me smile... Ford guy...[^])

And one of my personal favorites: "The Maserati Behind the Wall"

So as a Studebaker community, do we have any mystery cars like this? Lost prototypes, cars used by the mob, cars owned by movie stars, 1 of 1 cars, etc? Have most of the super rare Studebakers been accounted for, whether in the hands of collectors or recycled into a toaster?

My inquiring mind would like to know.

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Since I was a kid i've heard tales of unebelievable barn finds and extremely rare 1 of 1 cars that are still unaccounted for such as:

So as a Studebaker community, do we have any mystery cars like this? Lost prototypes, cars used by the mob, cars owned by movie stars, 1 of 1 cars, etc? Have most of the super rare Studebakers been accounted for, whether in the hands of collectors or recycled into a toaster?
    A good majority of the 'one-off' Studes are accounted for, such as what was in the 'graveyard' at the Proving Grounds, etc.; and the cab-forward truck that is now in the museum. But there are still lots unaccounted for, such as the van version of that truck, and some showcars.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

A good majority of the 'one-off' Studes are accounted for, such as what was in the 'graveyard' at the Proving Grounds, etc.; and the cab-forward truck that is now in the museum. But there are still lots unaccounted for, such as the van version of that truck, and some showcars.

Craig

Comment

There ARE a number of such cars. For instance, they built ONE Business Coupe (3-passenger coupe for Gary[8)]) with a V8 in it. That was in the V8 debut year of 1951 which just happened to be the last year of that body style.[]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There ARE a number of such cars. For instance, they built ONE Business Coupe (3-passenger coupe for Gary[8)]) with a V8 in it. That was in the V8 debut year of 1951 which just happened to be the last year of that body style.[]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, kind of forgot about that one, and the one-and-only 1958 Broadmoor wagon, plus the rest of those Silver Hawk hardtops that may still be lurking out there...

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, kind of forgot about that one, and the one-and-only 1958 Broadmoor wagon, plus the rest of those Silver Hawk hardtops that may still be lurking out there...

Craig

Comment

The Silver Hawk hardtop in the Oxford Nova Scotia area is being restored and should one day hit the road again. I had no idea how rare it was when I posted pics on this forum a few years back.

Comment

The Silver Hawk hardtop in the Oxford Nova Scotia area is being restored and should one day hit the road again. I had no idea how rare it was when I posted pics on this forum a few years back.

Comment

Hi, Chris: I see you've been on the forum about six months, but don't know how long you've been "into" Studebakers. Welcome aboard.

One of our rarest and most significant postwar Studebakers survives fully restored: Nelson Bove's Strato Blue, factory R3 1964 Commander 2-door. It was the only non-Avanti 1964 Studebaker to be built and shipped from South Bend with an R3 engine. No R3 Hawks were built, nor were any other R3 "Larks."

Other R3 cars were "built" from lesser-engined cars by Team Granatelli at Paxton Products in CA for the Bonnevile Record Runs to promote 1964 Studebakers. But those "clones," I guess you'd say, were not assembled in South Bend and shipped from SB with factory-installed R3 engines. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi, Chris: I see you've been on the forum about six months, but don't know how long you've been "into" Studebakers. Welcome aboard.

One of our rarest and most significant postwar Studebakers survives fully restored: Nelson Bove's Strato Blue, factory R3 1964 Commander 2-door. It was the only non-Avanti 1964 Studebaker to be built and shipped from South Bend with an R3 engine. No R3 Hawks were built, nor were any other R3 "Larks."

Other R3 cars were "built" from lesser-engined cars by Team Granatelli at Paxton Products in CA for the Bonnevile Record Runs to promote 1964 Studebakers. But those "clones," I guess you'd say, were not assembled in South Bend and shipped from SB with factory-installed R3 engines. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Chris, one such example exists related to your own car. Don't forget that some sources indicate 120 1958 Champion versions of the hardtop body. These are totally unaccounted for as far as I know. perhaps all were for export. Perhaps not...

Dan
                        52 hardtop

Comment

Chris, one such example exists related to your own car. Don't forget that some sources indicate 120 1958 Champion versions of the hardtop body. These are totally unaccounted for as far as I know. perhaps all were for export. Perhaps not...

Dan
                          52 hardtop

Comment

The lone '53 convertible is still around. There have been a few successful clones of this car too.

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The lone '53 convertible is still around. There have been a few successful clones of this car too.

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X