Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost or Rare Factory Studebaker Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by KOOL R2

There is a Black 1956 Flight Hawk hardtop in Ontario that is still being driven today. Imagine a six cylinder hardtop. I know I was there when it was built.

Peter Sant
    Is that car still around? Last I heard of it was at an International Meet in Indianapolis, I think it was. I'd love to see a pic of it.

Craig

Comment

Do the 'Black' GT Hawk and the 'White' GT Hawk show cars still exist?

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Do the 'Black' GT Hawk and the 'White' GT Hawk show cars still exist?

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Gary, I know that John Ernst has the white GT show car. '64 R2, IIRC.

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Gary, I know that John Ernst has the white GT show car. '64 R2, IIRC.

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Here's the one-and-only 1956 Golden Hawk that came from the factory with a genuine leather interior. Also has OD, back-up lights, ordered new with black sidewall tires, and NO radio!! Sold new by Palma-Rhodes Motors. Bob's dad really knew what "customer service" truly meant to special order a car lik that!

Craig

Comment

Here's the one-and-only 1956 Golden Hawk that came from the factory with a genuine leather interior. Also has OD, back-up lights, ordered new with black sidewall tires, and NO radio!! Sold new by Palma-Rhodes Motors. Bob's dad really knew what "customer service" truly meant to special order a car lik that!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                  How times change, Craig. 'Truth be known, and he'll admit it, my Dad all but strangled his "partner" that actually wrote up that deal. The lawyer that ordered that Golden Hawk was a shrewd guy and traded in two cars; a 1951 Champion 4-door and a 1953 Jaguar XK120 - true! (Plus $1,085.82 cash, including sales tax.) The lawyer was a friend of partner Harry Rhoads and didn't mind negotiating as strongly as possible with not-too-strong Harry. (It was Palma-Rhoads Motors by then; see Page 31; January 2006 Turning Wheels).

Years ago, Dad entrusted to me all the extant, original dealer records from the dealership(s) in Paris IL, so I have all the figures, serial numbers, etc, right here in front of me for that deal...and every other one from 1953-1956, too.

Dad looked at the gross overallowance Harry Rhoads had made on the Champion and the Jaguar to order that 1956 Golden Hawk and about fainted. Dad knew the whole deal was going to cost them a lot of money, that it would be a serious loss in the end...and it sure was.

By the time they delivered that Golden Hawk, took the trades, reconditioned the trades, took another trade on the '51 Champion as a used car and reconditioned and sold that trade, etc, etc...by the time the last car was sold and the whole deal washed out, the dealership honest-to-gosh lost over $1,000 1956 dollars -over $1,000-when each partner was trying to draw close to $100 a week pay! (I haven't calculated the exact figure for a couple years, but it really was a little over $1,000...in 1956!)

But now that the car is one of the more famous 1956 Golden Hawks extant for a variety of reasons (rarity, provenance, quality of restoration), Dad is all too willing to let bygones be bygones, as reflected on Page 14 of the November 2002 Turning Wheels! (And BTW, Mom & Dad are both in excellent health even today, living independently. Dad will be 91 years old this coming April 14th!) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                    How times change, Craig. 'Truth be known, and he'll admit it, my Dad all but strangled his "partner" that actually wrote up that deal. The lawyer that ordered that Golden Hawk was a shrewd guy and traded in two cars; a 1951 Champion 4-door and a 1953 Jaguar XK120 - true! (Plus $1,085.82 cash, including sales tax.) The lawyer was a friend of partner Harry Rhoads and didn't mind negotiating as strongly as possible with not-too-strong Harry. (It was Palma-Rhoads Motors by then; see Page 31; January 2006 Turning Wheels).

Years ago, Dad entrusted to me all the extant, original dealer records from the dealership(s) in Paris IL, so I have all the figures, serial numbers, etc, right here in front of me for that deal...and every other one from 1953-1956, too.

Dad looked at the gross overallowance Harry Rhoads had made on the Champion and the Jaguar to order that 1956 Golden Hawk and about fainted. Dad knew the whole deal was going to cost them a lot of money, that it would be a serious loss in the end...and it sure was.

By the time they delivered that Golden Hawk, took the trades, reconditioned the trades, took another trade on the '51 Champion as a used car and reconditioned and sold that trade, etc, etc...by the time the last car was sold and the whole deal washed out, the dealership honest-to-gosh lost over $1,000 1956 dollars -over $1,000-when each partner was trying to draw close to $100 a week pay! (I haven't calculated the exact figure for a couple years, but it really was a little over $1,000...in 1956!)

But now that the car is one of the more famous 1956 Golden Hawks extant for a variety of reasons (rarity, provenance, quality of restoration), Dad is all too willing to let bygones be bygones, as reflected on Page 14 of the November 2002 Turning Wheels! (And BTW, Mom & Dad are both in excellent health even today, living independently. Dad will be 91 years old this coming April 14th!) BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Craig, The Black 1956 Flight Hawk Hardtop is owned by Bernice Crouch the wife of the original buyer Oscar Crouch. As far as I know Bernice lives in the London Ontario area but the last contact that I had was several years ago. Maybe somebody else can chip in here.

Peter Sant

Comment

Craig, The Black 1956 Flight Hawk Hardtop is owned by Bernice Crouch the wife of the original buyer Oscar Crouch. As far as I know Bernice lives in the London Ontario area but the last contact that I had was several years ago. Maybe somebody else can chip in here.

Peter Sant

Comment

Bob Palma,

Did that Hawk come from the factory with the leather interior or was it installed by an outside source before it was delivered to the customer?

Comment

Bob Palma,

Did that Hawk come from the factory with the leather interior or was it installed by an outside source before it was delivered to the customer?

Comment

To go farther back, seems like TW has even recently made mention of the "Golden chassis" Studebaker built and dispalyed. I can't remember my facts on it now, but that is indeed a rare factory Stude story.

Dan
                              52 hardtop
                              www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

To go farther back, seems like TW has even recently made mention of the "Golden chassis" Studebaker built and dispalyed. I can't remember my facts on it now, but that is indeed a rare factory Stude story.

Dan
                                52 hardtop
                                www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X