Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost or Rare Factory Studebaker Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N8N
    replied
    I believe that there is a C-cab truck with a "suburban" style body that was featured in TW a while back. I think it was in Switzerland? some European country, anyway.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• cjsteak
    replied
    Thanks for all the great replies to this thread! When I was managing at the local Ford dealer, we used to get a few cars in that I felt were one off's from the factory. Usually not for a good reason though! I remember a longbed, XLT, Ranger, 4X4, with the full offroad package, but it wasn't called an "FX4" because it came with a four cylinder! I thought our GM was going to kill the inventory manager when he ordered that monstrosity. It had an A/C delete too... mind you the dealership is in Central Texas. [^]

I remember somebody special ordering a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang with no stripes and a radio delete. Talk about wierd. Looked cool though, and i'm sure it was the only one like it.

Also had a 2003 Mustang GT with every option on it, except it had cloth interior and wierd roll up windows. Don't ask me how you got roll up windows on a newer Mustang. They're not supposed to exist. Even the lowliest of the lowly Mustangs got power windows and a power drivers seat. I think the cop Mustangs got roll ups, and possible the "body in white" race cars too... Just plain WIERD.

When the "new" 2005 F150 came out, we got one to display on our show room floor. Upon closer inspection it didn't have a data plate on it and was strictly for show. The tail gate was different than the production model (opened sideways like an Excursion), it had different seats, the shocks were mounted on the inside of the frame rails, instead of the outside like the production trucks, and it had slightly different rims than the production models.

Ofcourse these stories don't come close to the Studebaker ones. It's all I got though!

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• cjsteak
    replied
    Thanks for all the great replies to this thread! When I was managing at the local Ford dealer, we used to get a few cars in that I felt were one off's from the factory. Usually not for a good reason though! I remember a longbed, XLT, Ranger, 4X4, with the full offroad package, but it wasn't called an "FX4" because it came with a four cylinder! I thought our GM was going to kill the inventory manager when he ordered that monstrosity. It had an A/C delete too... mind you the dealership is in Central Texas. [^]

I remember somebody special ordering a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang with no stripes and a radio delete. Talk about wierd. Looked cool though, and i'm sure it was the only one like it.

Also had a 2003 Mustang GT with every option on it, except it had cloth interior and wierd roll up windows. Don't ask me how you got roll up windows on a newer Mustang. They're not supposed to exist. Even the lowliest of the lowly Mustangs got power windows and a power drivers seat. I think the cop Mustangs got roll ups, and possible the "body in white" race cars too... Just plain WIERD.

When the "new" 2005 F150 came out, we got one to display on our show room floor. Upon closer inspection it didn't have a data plate on it and was strictly for show. The tail gate was different than the production model (opened sideways like an Excursion), it had different seats, the shocks were mounted on the inside of the frame rails, instead of the outside like the production trucks, and it had slightly different rims than the production models.

Ofcourse these stories don't come close to the Studebaker ones. It's all I got though!

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• gaboy
    replied

what about the 63-64 Lark types built with the roll bars (2 dr) built in with seats upholstered to contour like bucket seats for trials by the CHP. I remember Corocorn, (Calif reg.mgr) getting those built up for the CHP testing against Ford, Chevy, Dodge ,Ply etc - I saw one (R2) when I was truck mgr on the west coast in late 63.
    GABOY

Leave a comment:

• gaboy
    replied

what about the 63-64 Lark types built with the roll bars (2 dr) built in with seats upholstered to contour like bucket seats for trials by the CHP. I remember Corocorn, (Calif reg.mgr) getting those built up for the CHP testing against Ford, Chevy, Dodge ,Ply etc - I saw one (R2) when I was truck mgr on the west coast in late 63.
    GABOY

Leave a comment:

• Blue 15G
    replied
    A rare one that I find interesting is the M series truck with a wooden station wagon body. There is one pictured in Richard Langworth's book about Studebaker and the body was built in Mifflinburg, PA. IIRC, one appeared for sale a few years ago overseas somewhere, and it was supposedly the only one known to exist. (I'm sure someone here can correct me or fill in the details.) Did other custom body companies make these for Studebaker too?

I just find it hard to believe that there aren't a couple more of them somewhere. Of course, I doubt many were ever built in the first place.

Dave Bonn
    Valencia, PA
    '54 Champion Starliner

Leave a comment:

• Blue 15G
    replied
    A rare one that I find interesting is the M series truck with a wooden station wagon body. There is one pictured in Richard Langworth's book about Studebaker and the body was built in Mifflinburg, PA. IIRC, one appeared for sale a few years ago overseas somewhere, and it was supposedly the only one known to exist. (I'm sure someone here can correct me or fill in the details.) Did other custom body companies make these for Studebaker too?

I just find it hard to believe that there aren't a couple more of them somewhere. Of course, I doubt many were ever built in the first place.

Dave Bonn
    Valencia, PA
    '54 Champion Starliner

Leave a comment:

• 52hawk
    replied
    There were supposedly 2 rumble seat 61 Larks also. One was rumored to have wound up stored in Metamora Illinois. I used to go through Metamora weekly on my way to car auctions in Tremont,and Morton.
    I used to imagine taking a day in Met. to hunt down the car.Never did though.Maybe if I quit procrastinating and actually find it,it'll be "ready for restoration" [8D]

Oglesby,Il
    61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"

Leave a comment:

• 52hawk
    replied
    There were supposedly 2 rumble seat 61 Larks also. One was rumored to have wound up stored in Metamora Illinois. I used to go through Metamora weekly on my way to car auctions in Tremont,and Morton.
    I used to imagine taking a day in Met. to hunt down the car.Never did though.Maybe if I quit procrastinating and actually find it,it'll be "ready for restoration" [8D]

Oglesby,Il
    61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"

Leave a comment:

• Retired
    replied
    Don't overlook the rummbled seated Lark. The Lark is in Illinois. In pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Retired
    replied
    Don't overlook the rummbled seated Lark. The Lark is in Illinois. In pieces.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Regarding the Rumble Seat 1961 Hawks. Two were built. Photos and details may be found on Page 5 of the June 1989 Turning Wheels, as part of that issue's Feature Article: 1961 Hawks: Last of The Finned Hawks, by Fred Fox. BP

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Regarding the Rumble Seat 1961 Hawks. Two were built. Photos and details may be found on Page 5 of the June 1989 Turning Wheels, as part of that issue's Feature Article: 1961 Hawks: Last of The Finned Hawks, by Fred Fox. BP

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
    That sounds weird, but Dad has repeatedly said the car was a further pain in the a** because "we had to run it all over, getting those leather seats put in it."
    Bob, I saw a copy of that production order myself. Besides all those notations about the interior, it has "S.A.P." written by hand and circled in various places on it as well. Obviously someone's time was of essence in the process. Perhaps your dad took it upon himself to do the 'legwork' of seeing the car go from production line to the outside trim shop to ensure adequate delivery time. (Remember! CUSTOMER SERVICE!!)

On a side note, at the recent auto show here, I inquired about 'special orders' on some new cars such as BMW's "Individual" option where one can tailor their BMW to their liking. I was told 3-4 weeks. If one were to order an Aston-Martin in an 'Out of Range' paint color, or interior choice, he stated it would be up to a 7 month wait.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
    That sounds weird, but Dad has repeatedly said the car was a further pain in the a** because "we had to run it all over, getting those leather seats put in it."
    Bob, I saw a copy of that production order myself. Besides all those notations about the interior, it has "S.A.P." written by hand and circled in various places on it as well. Obviously someone's time was of essence in the process. Perhaps your dad took it upon himself to do the 'legwork' of seeing the car go from production line to the outside trim shop to ensure adequate delivery time. (Remember! CUSTOMER SERVICE!!)

On a side note, at the recent auto show here, I inquired about 'special orders' on some new cars such as BMW's "Individual" option where one can tailor their BMW to their liking. I was told 3-4 weeks. If one were to order an Aston-Martin in an 'Out of Range' paint color, or interior choice, he stated it would be up to a 7 month wait.

Craig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X