Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost or Rare Factory Studebaker Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is great, I love hearing stories like this.

Bob - I've been around Studebakers since I was a child, but haven't been "into" them per se until about 6 months ago when I bought my Commander. I still love my other Brand X stuff (mainly Willys), but I'm hanging on to this Commander. I know it's not the rarest of the rare, but of all the Studebakers i've ever seen through out the years, it's definately in my personal top three for favorite Studes ever built. I just like how it looks so different from the other models produced. I've always wanted a '58 Plymouth Fury... but after owning this car and seeing a '58 Fury up close. I like the lines of my car better. The only thing mine can't compete with is the interior. I'm still not sure why the Commander in '58 got a kinda ho-hum interior. [^]

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

This is great, I love hearing stories like this.

Bob - I've been around Studebakers since I was a child, but haven't been "into" them per se until about 6 months ago when I bought my Commander. I still love my other Brand X stuff (mainly Willys), but I'm hanging on to this Commander. I know it's not the rarest of the rare, but of all the Studebakers i've ever seen through out the years, it's definately in my personal top three for favorite Studes ever built. I just like how it looks so different from the other models produced. I've always wanted a '58 Plymouth Fury... but after owning this car and seeing a '58 Fury up close. I like the lines of my car better. The only thing mine can't compete with is the interior. I'm still not sure why the Commander in '58 got a kinda ho-hum interior. [^]

Chris Salisbury
      Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Chris; don't feel like you are the lone ranger with your plain interior '58 Commander! All of us who own '58's could not have missed the hard facts that the '58's went way down in materials quality and cost compared to '56-'57's which were some of the BEST!

My '58 President Y body was not even called a President "Classic" any longer! When they lowered the roof in '58, they lowered the seats! So your knees won't be supported at the front of the seat. And look at the Golden Hawk, it had that cheap looking Wicker stuff on the door panels![V][V]

You ask WHY? -MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!! There was NONE, SP was on the verge of bankruptcy in 1958! [:0]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Chris; don't feel like you are the lone ranger with your plain interior '58 Commander! All of us who own '58's could not have missed the hard facts that the '58's went way down in materials quality and cost compared to '56-'57's which were some of the BEST!

My '58 President Y body was not even called a President "Classic" any longer! When they lowered the roof in '58, they lowered the seats! So your knees won't be supported at the front of the seat. And look at the Golden Hawk, it had that cheap looking Wicker stuff on the door panels![V][V]

You ask WHY? -MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!! There was NONE, SP was on the verge of bankruptcy in 1958! [:0]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich

Comment

There is a Black 1956 Flight Hawk hardtop in Ontario that is still being driven today. Imagine a six cylinder hardtop. I know I was there when it was built.

Peter Sant

Comment

There is a Black 1956 Flight Hawk hardtop in Ontario that is still being driven today. Imagine a six cylinder hardtop. I know I was there when it was built.

Peter Sant

Comment

I don't beleive anyone has ever found that 1 factory 1966 Sports sedan with the Z16 396 Turbo-jet / Muncie 4 speed.

Ohhh, yea - because there wasn't one. I'll just start the rumor every year or so, that way when I build it there will be some built in legend surrounding it's appearance in my barn.

Dan
                52 hardtop
                www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

I don't beleive anyone has ever found that 1 factory 1966 Sports sedan with the Z16 396 Turbo-jet / Muncie 4 speed.

Ohhh, yea - because there wasn't one. I'll just start the rumor every year or so, that way when I build it there will be some built in legend surrounding it's appearance in my barn.

Dan
                  52 hardtop
                  www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Dan; there was a guy at the South Bend International, that would probably beat ya! He had this outrageously "Built" LT1 engine in a '66 Commander 2 Dr. or Daytona Sport Sedan.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich

Comment

Dan; there was a guy at the South Bend International, that would probably beat ya! He had this outrageously "Built" LT1 engine in a '66 Commander 2 Dr. or Daytona Sport Sedan.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich

Comment

How about the 2 or 3 Packard Hawks shipped to Saudi Arabia with white leather and red steering wheels and dash ? Also, the 2 R2 power Champ trucks, one at least survives, or the 64 GT painted Avanti maroon.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,839.60
                        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                        63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

How about the 2 or 3 Packard Hawks shipped to Saudi Arabia with white leather and red steering wheels and dash ? Also, the 2 R2 power Champ trucks, one at least survives, or the 64 GT painted Avanti maroon.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,839.60
                          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                          63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

How about the 60-61 Larks that Studebaker commissioned Frua of Italy to restyle. Pat Drnec now owns the prototypes...

Bob Johnstone
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

How about the 60-61 Larks that Studebaker commissioned Frua of Italy to restyle. Pat Drnec now owns the prototypes...

Bob Johnstone
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KOOL R2

Peter Sant
                                Is that car still around? Last I heard of it was at an International Meet in Indianapolis, I think it was. I'd love to see a pic of it.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X