An Airline for Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Airline for Studebaker

I just noticed this on the Time/CNN web site.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...romoid=googlep

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Great article Len....
    It shows how the Studebaker board, and it's principle's, were much more adroit at the business word of the day than just playing cars...
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Great article Len....
      It shows how the Studebaker board, and it's principle's, were much more adroit at the business word of the day than just playing cars...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Studebaker bought TIA from Kirk Kerkorian and later sold it back to him. I suspect the planes came in handy flying Avanti's around the country.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Studebaker bought TIA from Kirk Kerkorian and later sold it back to him. I suspect the planes came in handy flying Avanti's around the country.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

TIA as a Military contract carrier was principally involved in transporting troops. if you think about the times you will reAalize that many of their flights flew into and from the Philapines. In fact I flew from Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam to Clark AFB in the Philapines and from there to Travis AFB on TIA when returning from Vietnam. At that i was interested in getting home and it was many years later before I realized I flew on the Studebaker Airline. As for flying Avantis around the country, Egbert used his Marine Aviation contacts to procure the use of C-123 "Gooney Birds" to transport the new Avanti to dealer presentations all over the country. Somewhere I have pictures of these flights as I am sure Mr. Quinn does. These flights created a lot of excitement within the Studebaker dealer network.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

TIA as a Military contract carrier was principally involved in transporting troops. if you think about the times you will reAalize that many of their flights flew into and from the Philapines. In fact I flew from Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam to Clark AFB in the Philapines and from there to Travis AFB on TIA when returning from Vietnam. At that i was interested in getting home and it was many years later before I realized I flew on the Studebaker Airline. As for flying Avantis around the country, Egbert used his Marine Aviation contacts to procure the use of C-123 "Gooney Birds" to transport the new Avanti to dealer presentations all over the country. Somewhere I have pictures of these flights as I am sure Mr. Quinn does. These flights created a lot of excitement within the Studebaker dealer network.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon Egbert used his Marine Aviation contacts to procure the use of C-123 "Gooney Birds" to transport the new Avanti to dealer presentations all over the country. See you in the future as I write about our past
                I'd like to see the photo.

In my book on the Fairchild C-82 Packet (the type of plane flown by Jimmy Stewart in the original Flight of the Phoenix), there is a shot of a C-82 in Avanti markings.

N5102B is seen with Avanti and Studebaker titles. It doesa not show who operated it. Surplus C-82s were fairly common in civil use after being replaced by the later (and similar looking) C-119s.
                Faa records show that aircraft was owned by Tanana Investments, and later by Northern Air Crago from Alaska, and finally Pawkins & Powers, a famous aerial firefighting firm.

To the best of my knowledge, there were never any civil C-123s until the late 1970s (after they were retired by the military) so I doubt if C-123s were used in the Avanti period.
                BTW: The nickname for the C-123 is Provider.
                "Gooney Bird" is usuallly seen and used as the nickname for the C-47/Douglas DC-3.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon Egbert used his Marine Aviation contacts to procure the use of C-123 "Gooney Birds" to transport the new Avanti to dealer presentations all over the country. See you in the future as I write about our past
                  I'd like to see the photo.

In my book on the Fairchild C-82 Packet (the type of plane flown by Jimmy Stewart in the original Flight of the Phoenix), there is a shot of a C-82 in Avanti markings.

N5102B is seen with Avanti and Studebaker titles. It doesa not show who operated it. Surplus C-82s were fairly common in civil use after being replaced by the later (and similar looking) C-119s.
                  Faa records show that aircraft was owned by Tanana Investments, and later by Northern Air Crago from Alaska, and finally Pawkins & Powers, a famous aerial firefighting firm.

To the best of my knowledge, there were never any civil C-123s until the late 1970s (after they were retired by the military) so I doubt if C-123s were used in the Avanti period.
                  BTW: The nickname for the C-123 is Provider.
                  "Gooney Bird" is usuallly seen and used as the nickname for the C-47/Douglas DC-3.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have a poster/print that was framed. In it is a DC-8 TIA plane in fight.

Lower right says Trans International Airlines, very small, lower left says. Subsidary of Studebaker Corporation. I even turned it inot a T-shirt. Never sold, but it is one of the shaper shirts (I think) that we ever did. Nice Plane and direct tie into Sudebaker.

Comment

I have a poster/print that was framed. In it is a DC-8 TIA plane in fight.

Lower right says Trans International Airlines, very small, lower left says. Subsidary of Studebaker Corporation. I even turned it inot a T-shirt. Never sold, but it is one of the shaper shirts (I think) that we ever did. Nice Plane and direct tie into Sudebaker.

Comment

The whole thing just shows Kerkorian's been around longer than the Las Vegas sand ...

All kidding aside, I wonder if TIA's status as a military contract carrier was what attracted Studebaker in the first place. Here you have a company that is building trucks (and other equipment?) for the services, looking to increase that business, and owning an airline that could perhaps fly this equipment in a real hurry to wherever the services needed it to go could have been a substantial boost.

One other thing: If you guys will note the date of the Time article, it is October 19, 1962. That would have been several months after the Avanti airlift, if memory serves. Somehow, I always thought that took place in the summer of '62.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

The whole thing just shows Kerkorian's been around longer than the Las Vegas sand ...

All kidding aside, I wonder if TIA's status as a military contract carrier was what attracted Studebaker in the first place. Here you have a company that is building trucks (and other equipment?) for the services, looking to increase that business, and owning an airline that could perhaps fly this equipment in a real hurry to wherever the services needed it to go could have been a substantial boost.

One other thing: If you guys will note the date of the Time article, it is October 19, 1962. That would have been several months after the Avanti airlift, if memory serves. Somehow, I always thought that took place in the summer of '62.

Comment

Jb thanks for the corrections. You are correct. I have pictures of them unloading the Avanti somewhere out west.

Comment

Jb thanks for the corrections. You are correct. I have pictures of them unloading the Avanti somewhere out west.

Comment

Working...
                              X