B serail number Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B serail number Avanti's

Many of us have pondered the B after the serial number on a few Avanti titles and here's a very possible answer from a Craig's list ad.

"The numbers are R-4886B. The B indicated it met California pollution standards for 1964" The other possible reason would be the need for at least 5 digits. If it was the former, why just Avanti's with the B ?

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

I always thought it was the re-stamped (A or B) '63's after Studebaker issued the letter indicating which late '63 Avantis were supposed to be registered as '64's![:0]

My Calif. registered '63 is R4275A, typo-ed on the title as a "B", and on the Production order as a BASIC (no alpha).

Also the Calif. title "body type model" box says: "Sed64R"! It appears to be clearly a registration thing, so the Dealers would not take the depreciation hit on left-over models. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I always thought it was the re-stamped (A or B) '63's after Studebaker issued the letter indicating which late '63 Avantis were supposed to be registered as '64's![:0]

My Calif. registered '63 is R4275A, typo-ed on the title as a "B", and on the Production order as a BASIC (no alpha).

Also the Calif. title "body type model" box says: "Sed64R"! It appears to be clearly a registration thing, so the Dealers would not take the depreciation hit on left-over models. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'll see if I can find a scanner to post a copy of the letter "To All Studebaker Dealers in the State of California" dated February 18, 1963.

Here's the deal: starting in March 1963 California required that all vins have a minimum of 8 digits. The letter to the dealers instructs them to stamp an "A" of 1/4" size following 63RXXXX

For the 1964 year model the "A" became a "B". If your Avanti has either the A or the B then it was originally sold in California on or after March 1 1963.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
        Packrat junk collector
        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

I'll see if I can find a scanner to post a copy of the letter "To All Studebaker Dealers in the State of California" dated February 18, 1963.

Here's the deal: starting in March 1963 California required that all vins have a minimum of 8 digits. The letter to the dealers instructs them to stamp an "A" of 1/4" size following 63RXXXX

For the 1964 year model the "A" became a "B". If your Avanti has either the A or the B then it was originally sold in California on or after March 1 1963.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
          Packrat junk collector
          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Thanks for the final answer to that particular historical issue, we learn more every day.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Daytona HT/4 speed
            63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the final answer to that particular historical issue, we learn more every day.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Daytona HT/4 speed
              63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
              X