Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDinTN
    replied
    "RDinTN don't want to burst your bubble but rumors need to be put to bed anytime they raise their ugly head. Mr Loewy ... DID NIT as you stated design the Coca Cola Bottle. i hope this helps to put to bed the Coke Bottle rumor once and for all but i doubt that it will. IMHO Mr. Loewy was the lenonardo D' Vencie of the 29th Century ..."

Avantidon, that's OOOO-K. I live so far back up this holler that my bubble can use a little prick from time to time. [:0] Especially one from the 29th Century! I reference [u]Industrial Design</u> (1979) re attribution for the Coke bottle design.

Maybe you can disabuse me of another factoid: I read that Loewy based the Stude nose propeller on the Mercedes logo, which he held as the paragon of effective and recognizable industrial art. [?]

I don't get too hung up on semantics. For instance, I read that Eisenhower built the interstate road system in the US. Whew! Exhausting...

RDinTN
    60 Hawk
    Black on red, of course

Leave a comment:

• RDinTN
    replied
    "RDinTN don't want to burst your bubble but rumors need to be put to bed anytime they raise their ugly head. Mr Loewy ... DID NIT as you stated design the Coca Cola Bottle. i hope this helps to put to bed the Coke Bottle rumor once and for all but i doubt that it will. IMHO Mr. Loewy was the lenonardo D' Vencie of the 29th Century ..."

Avantidon, that's OOOO-K. I live so far back up this holler that my bubble can use a little prick from time to time. [:0] Especially one from the 29th Century! I reference [u]Industrial Design</u> (1979) re attribution for the Coke bottle design.

Maybe you can disabuse me of another factoid: I read that Loewy based the Stude nose propeller on the Mercedes logo, which he held as the paragon of effective and recognizable industrial art. [?]

I don't get too hung up on semantics. For instance, I read that Eisenhower built the interstate road system in the US. Whew! Exhausting...

RDinTN
    60 Hawk
    Black on red, of course

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    One of the best places to learn about and research our friend Raymond Loewy is at the Hagley museum in Wilingtonn DE. They have over 50% of Mr. Loewy's person al papers and are the ones totally responsible for the current Raymond Loewy exhibit touring the country. These papers are fascinating reading and the insight gained from researching the Avanti portion of these files and someo ther pieces are fascinating. His first automobile design work in the uS was with Hupmobile and basically was designing interiors. It was not long before he started to design total vehicles.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    One of the best places to learn about and research our friend Raymond Loewy is at the Hagley museum in Wilingtonn DE. They have over 50% of Mr. Loewy's person al papers and are the ones totally responsible for the current Raymond Loewy exhibit touring the country. These papers are fascinating reading and the insight gained from researching the Avanti portion of these files and someo ther pieces are fascinating. His first automobile design work in the uS was with Hupmobile and basically was designing interiors. It was not long before he started to design total vehicles.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    He also applied his magic to the 1932 "form-fitting" (I think that was the term they applied) Hupmobile, which we have to thank for the general design of the lettering used 30 years later on the Avanti. We should all be happy that he chose to dig back into his "archives" for that style instead of the more fluid lettering that you see in some early photos. IMHO, the Hupmobile-style lettering looks MUCH more appropriate.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    He also applied his magic to the 1932 "form-fitting" (I think that was the term they applied) Hupmobile, which we have to thank for the general design of the lettering used 30 years later on the Avanti. We should all be happy that he chose to dig back into his "archives" for that style instead of the more fluid lettering that you see in some early photos. IMHO, the Hupmobile-style lettering looks MUCH more appropriate.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• comatus
    replied
    A little bit of apocryphal history from the 70's (that probably belongs over on the stove-hugger section): A rumor circulated for years that Esso/Humble paid Loewy & Associates a very high fee on the condition that they come up with a name that could in no way be confused with any other company, and meant nothing in any language. After adoption and changeover, it was (the story went) discovered that, in an obscure African dialect, Exxon was the word for s**t, and Loewy had to return part of the fee. This certainly cannot be true, but, as an old storyteller once told me, "it deserves to be."

I am proud--I mean it--that every single commenter here spelled Loewy correctly. I used to complain about that a lot, elsewhere. Now, we're going to have to work on Leonardo da Vinci, the Raymond Loewy of the 15th century...

Leave a comment:

• comatus
    replied
    A little bit of apocryphal history from the 70's (that probably belongs over on the stove-hugger section): A rumor circulated for years that Esso/Humble paid Loewy & Associates a very high fee on the condition that they come up with a name that could in no way be confused with any other company, and meant nothing in any language. After adoption and changeover, it was (the story went) discovered that, in an obscure African dialect, Exxon was the word for s**t, and Loewy had to return part of the fee. This certainly cannot be true, but, as an old storyteller once told me, "it deserves to be."

I am proud--I mean it--that every single commenter here spelled Loewy correctly. I used to complain about that a lot, elsewhere. Now, we're going to have to work on Leonardo da Vinci, the Raymond Loewy of the 15th century...

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    If you are ever in Roanoke, Virginia you should visit the Loewy Museum that is in the old N&W train station, that Loewy remodeled. There is a permanent display of Loewy's work.

Coke bottles are on display

Loewy also designed the 34 Hupmobile before he started working for Studebaker.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    If you are ever in Roanoke, Virginia you should visit the Loewy Museum that is in the old N&W train station, that Loewy remodeled. There is a permanent display of Loewy's work.

Coke bottles are on display

Loewy also designed the 34 Hupmobile before he started working for Studebaker.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    As Jeff notes above, Raymond Loewy has been discussed many times here. The definitive discussion of his many contributions is Loewy's own book "Industrial Design" published in 1979. His autobiography, "Never Leave Well Enough Alone" was published in 1950. While he was never reluctant to do a litttle self-promotion, he does not take credit for designing the original Coke bottle. Both are available through used book sellers on the Web.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    As Jeff notes above, Raymond Loewy has been discussed many times here. The definitive discussion of his many contributions is Loewy's own book "Industrial Design" published in 1979. His autobiography, "Never Leave Well Enough Alone" was published in 1950. While he was never reluctant to do a litttle self-promotion, he does not take credit for designing the original Coke bottle. Both are available through used book sellers on the Web.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• Retired
    replied
    At the unveiling of the EXXON logo at a stock holders meeting a lady asked why two XX's in the EXXON name, RL's reply was "For that very reason madam, it caught your eye".

Leave a comment:

• Retired
    replied
    At the unveiling of the EXXON logo at a stock holders meeting a lady asked why two XX's in the EXXON name, RL's reply was "For that very reason madam, it caught your eye".

Leave a comment:

• Johnnywiffer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

RDinTN IMHO Mr. Loewy was the lenonardo D' Vencie of the 29th Century and touched just about everything we use today.
    Could that be because we all have Studebakers?

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X