No announcement yet.

Raymond Loewy designed THIS????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit of apocryphal history from the 70's (that probably belongs over on the stove-hugger section): A rumor circulated for years that Esso/Humble paid Loewy & Associates a very high fee on the condition that they come up with a name that could in no way be confused with any other company, and meant nothing in any language. After adoption and changeover, it was (the story went) discovered that, in an obscure African dialect, Exxon was the word for s**t, and Loewy had to return part of the fee. This certainly cannot be true, but, as an old storyteller once told me, "it deserves to be."

I am proud--I mean it--that every single commenter here spelled Loewy correctly. I used to complain about that a lot, elsewhere. Now, we're going to have to work on Leonardo da Vinci, the Raymond Loewy of the 15th century...

Comment

A little bit of apocryphal history from the 70's (that probably belongs over on the stove-hugger section): A rumor circulated for years that Esso/Humble paid Loewy & Associates a very high fee on the condition that they come up with a name that could in no way be confused with any other company, and meant nothing in any language. After adoption and changeover, it was (the story went) discovered that, in an obscure African dialect, Exxon was the word for s**t, and Loewy had to return part of the fee. This certainly cannot be true, but, as an old storyteller once told me, "it deserves to be."

I am proud--I mean it--that every single commenter here spelled Loewy correctly. I used to complain about that a lot, elsewhere. Now, we're going to have to work on Leonardo da Vinci, the Raymond Loewy of the 15th century...

Comment

He also applied his magic to the 1932 "form-fitting" (I think that was the term they applied) Hupmobile, which we have to thank for the general design of the lettering used 30 years later on the Avanti. We should all be happy that he chose to dig back into his "archives" for that style instead of the more fluid lettering that you see in some early photos. IMHO, the Hupmobile-style lettering looks MUCH more appropriate.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

He also applied his magic to the 1932 "form-fitting" (I think that was the term they applied) Hupmobile, which we have to thank for the general design of the lettering used 30 years later on the Avanti. We should all be happy that he chose to dig back into his "archives" for that style instead of the more fluid lettering that you see in some early photos. IMHO, the Hupmobile-style lettering looks MUCH more appropriate.

Comment

One of the best places to learn about and research our friend Raymond Loewy is at the Hagley museum in Wilingtonn DE. They have over 50% of Mr. Loewy's person al papers and are the ones totally responsible for the current Raymond Loewy exhibit touring the country. These papers are fascinating reading and the insight gained from researching the Avanti portion of these files and someo ther pieces are fascinating. His first automobile design work in the uS was with Hupmobile and basically was designing interiors. It was not long before he started to design total vehicles.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

One of the best places to learn about and research our friend Raymond Loewy is at the Hagley museum in Wilingtonn DE. They have over 50% of Mr. Loewy's person al papers and are the ones totally responsible for the current Raymond Loewy exhibit touring the country. These papers are fascinating reading and the insight gained from researching the Avanti portion of these files and someo ther pieces are fascinating. His first automobile design work in the uS was with Hupmobile and basically was designing interiors. It was not long before he started to design total vehicles.

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

"RDinTN don't want to burst your bubble but rumors need to be put to bed anytime they raise their ugly head. Mr Loewy ... DID NIT as you stated design the Coca Cola Bottle. i hope this helps to put to bed the Coke Bottle rumor once and for all but i doubt that it will. IMHO Mr. Loewy was the lenonardo D' Vencie of the 29th Century ..."

Avantidon, that's OOOO-K. I live so far back up this holler that my bubble can use a little prick from time to time. [:0] Especially one from the 29th Century! I reference [u]Industrial Design</u> (1979) re attribution for the Coke bottle design.

Maybe you can disabuse me of another factoid: I read that Loewy based the Stude nose propeller on the Mercedes logo, which he held as the paragon of effective and recognizable industrial art. [?]

I don't get too hung up on semantics. For instance, I read that Eisenhower built the interstate road system in the US. Whew! Exhausting...

RDinTN
                60 Hawk
                Black on red, of course

Comment

"RDinTN don't want to burst your bubble but rumors need to be put to bed anytime they raise their ugly head. Mr Loewy ... DID NIT as you stated design the Coca Cola Bottle. i hope this helps to put to bed the Coke Bottle rumor once and for all but i doubt that it will. IMHO Mr. Loewy was the lenonardo D' Vencie of the 29th Century ..."

Avantidon, that's OOOO-K. I live so far back up this holler that my bubble can use a little prick from time to time. [:0] Especially one from the 29th Century! I reference [u]Industrial Design</u> (1979) re attribution for the Coke bottle design.

Maybe you can disabuse me of another factoid: I read that Loewy based the Stude nose propeller on the Mercedes logo, which he held as the paragon of effective and recognizable industrial art. [?]

I don't get too hung up on semantics. For instance, I read that Eisenhower built the interstate road system in the US. Whew! Exhausting...

RDinTN
                  60 Hawk
                  Black on red, of course

Comment

Working...
                  X