Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    The original Coke bottle was designed by the Root Glass Co. of Terre Haute, Indiana. There is a historical marker on the site of their former plant on South Third Street (U.S. 41); as I recall it's in the general area of what is now a Thornton's gas station. I'd have to look up exactly who designed it, as I believe that info is out there, somewhere, but yeah, Loewy modified it into the design we're all familiar with.

I believe he also "streamlined" the old Gestetner copy machine.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    The original Coke bottle was designed by the Root Glass Co. of Terre Haute, Indiana. There is a historical marker on the site of their former plant on South Third Street (U.S. 41); as I recall it's in the general area of what is now a Thornton's gas station. I'd have to look up exactly who designed it, as I believe that info is out there, somewhere, but yeah, Loewy modified it into the design we're all familiar with.

I believe he also "streamlined" the old Gestetner copy machine.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    IIRC, the slogan for Lark cigs was: "There Is Nothing Like A Lark!"

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    IIRC, the slogan for Lark cigs was: "There Is Nothing Like A Lark!"

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Very few. He started as a designer, then became a bon vivant manager.

Anyone remember the Lark cigarette TV commercial to the tune of The William Tell Overture?

Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Very few. He started as a designer, then became a bon vivant manager.

Anyone remember the Lark cigarette TV commercial to the tune of The William Tell Overture?

Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    I think I heard that he really didn't design the Coke bottle, I believe he did some modification on it. I may be wrong.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    I think I heard that he really didn't design the Coke bottle, I believe he did some modification on it. I may be wrong.

Leonard Shepherd

Leave a comment:

• Allan Songer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by RDinTN

Reckon you know that, in addition to the Lucky logo, Loewy designed the Coca-Cola bottle.

RD in TN
    60 Hawk
    Black on red, of course
    And the Electrolux vacuum cleaner. And the interior of Kennedy's Air Force One. And the first "streamliner" locomotive. And the Exxon logo. And the interior of the Concorde SST. And the Farmall tractors of the 30's and 40's. And Scenicruiser Greyhound Bus. And the modern "Shell Oil" logo. And the interior of Skylab. And a whole range of both Frigidaire and Sears "major appliances."

The list goes on and on.

But I wonder how many of these were actually designed by Loewy himself?

Leave a comment:

• Allan Songer
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by RDinTN

Reckon you know that, in addition to the Lucky logo, Loewy designed the Coca-Cola bottle.

RD in TN
    60 Hawk
    Black on red, of course
    And the Electrolux vacuum cleaner. And the interior of Kennedy's Air Force One. And the first "streamliner" locomotive. And the Exxon logo. And the interior of the Concorde SST. And the Farmall tractors of the 30's and 40's. And Scenicruiser Greyhound Bus. And the modern "Shell Oil" logo. And the interior of Skylab. And a whole range of both Frigidaire and Sears "major appliances."

The list goes on and on.

But I wonder how many of these were actually designed by Loewy himself?

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    quote:Yah, it is my understanding that Loewy's company added style to all sorts of consumer products with their designs. I'm sitting here, wondering just how much an unopened carton of those Lucky's would go for on EBay, if more than one person wanted it....
    I don't know what that carton of Lucky's would go for, but I bought a unopened pack of Lark cigarettes on eBay for $4.00.

I bought them for the Lark name and also because my sister smoked Larks for about 10 years. In fact she flicked one out of the window of our 61 Lark and it flew into the open rear window and burned the back seat up! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    quote:Yah, it is my understanding that Loewy's company added style to all sorts of consumer products with their designs. I'm sitting here, wondering just how much an unopened carton of those Lucky's would go for on EBay, if more than one person wanted it....
    I don't know what that carton of Lucky's would go for, but I bought a unopened pack of Lark cigarettes on eBay for $4.00.

I bought them for the Lark name and also because my sister smoked Larks for about 10 years. In fact she flicked one out of the window of our 61 Lark and it flew into the open rear window and burned the back seat up! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd

Leave a comment:

• wmsteve
    replied
    I'm sorry but, when I have my fedora on, I'm a "Chesterfield Man"! Smoke'em if you got'em!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• wmsteve
    replied
    I'm sorry but, when I have my fedora on, I'm a "Chesterfield Man"! Smoke'em if you got'em!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• RDinTN
    replied

RD in TN
    60 Hawk
    Black on red, of course

Leave a comment:

Working...
X