Caesar II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caesar II

I've been shopping for a replacement for my Chryler LHS (aka Atlantic City express) and with my winnings from the last trip put a down payment on a cream puff 1998 C280 Benz. I feel I kept a bit of the Studebaker connection and got a great deal on the car. It was 8K out door,title,tags and insurance and with 3K down, $180 month for 2 years.
    I have no idea why anyone would buy a new car when you can buy a much nicer, older car at the bottom of its deprecation curve and drive the wheels off of it.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I've been shopping for a replacement for my Chryler LHS (aka Atlantic City express) and with my winnings from the last trip put a down payment on a cream puff 1998 C280 Benz.
    I had a 1995 C220 (smaller engine, same body).
    Great car. Comfortable, built like a tank. I did notice (after reading it in a car magazine) that it was a bit squirrelly in crosswinds on the hiway, other than that it was great.

I found the interior materials to be a much higher quality than my later Mercedes.
    Even thouigh it was designed as an "entry-level" Benz, I think the first generation C-Class was the last of the line not to be built down to a price.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've been shopping for a replacement for my Chryler LHS (aka Atlantic City express) and with my winnings from the last trip put a down payment on a cream puff 1998 C280 Benz.
      I had a 1995 C220 (smaller engine, same body).
      Great car. Comfortable, built like a tank. I did notice (after reading it in a car magazine) that it was a bit squirrelly in crosswinds on the hiway, other than that it was great.

I found the interior materials to be a much higher quality than my later Mercedes.
      Even thouigh it was designed as an "entry-level" Benz, I think the first generation C-Class was the last of the line not to be built down to a price.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yep ... that's what I did with the wife's '02 Grand Caravan that I bought about a year and a half ago. I traded her Stratus sedan, which she dearly loved (and it was a good car), but we needed another van, what with four kids and all. I've long been fond of the Chrysler vans, but I can't justify a newer model when they depreciate like there's no tomorrow. Besides, we typically drive our vans until they have 200K miles or more, so it's not like I give a rat's rear about what their resale value is, anyway. This one is just shy of 100K now, so I have a feeling it'll be around a while.

I buy even older for myself; my Ford pickup is 21 years old and cost me all of $400. We are looking at buying a smaller car to save on GA$, as she's driving 40 miles a day, but 6-seater cars that are good on gas are hard to find (and I insist whatever we buy must be able to carry all of us). The only thing I've found that I actually liked was a '92 Dynasty 4-cylinder. It was too much money, though ... although I know the dealer who has it personally and he owes me a favor or three.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Yep ... that's what I did with the wife's '02 Grand Caravan that I bought about a year and a half ago. I traded her Stratus sedan, which she dearly loved (and it was a good car), but we needed another van, what with four kids and all. I've long been fond of the Chrysler vans, but I can't justify a newer model when they depreciate like there's no tomorrow. Besides, we typically drive our vans until they have 200K miles or more, so it's not like I give a rat's rear about what their resale value is, anyway. This one is just shy of 100K now, so I have a feeling it'll be around a while.

I buy even older for myself; my Ford pickup is 21 years old and cost me all of $400. We are looking at buying a smaller car to save on GA$, as she's driving 40 miles a day, but 6-seater cars that are good on gas are hard to find (and I insist whatever we buy must be able to carry all of us). The only thing I've found that I actually liked was a '92 Dynasty 4-cylinder. It was too much money, though ... although I know the dealer who has it personally and he owes me a favor or three.

Comment

I think the later V6 mine has has is a much peppier engine, but I think it takes premium fuel. I did not take it out on the highway when I test drove it, but it was a dream around town and no bigger then a Lark on the outside. I pick it up tomorrow, and my first trip up I95 will fill me in about the highway driving.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Daytona HT/4 speed
            63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

I think the later V6 mine has has is a much peppier engine, but I think it takes premium fuel. I did not take it out on the highway when I test drove it, but it was a dream around town and no bigger then a Lark on the outside. I pick it up tomorrow, and my first trip up I95 will fill me in about the highway driving.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Daytona HT/4 speed
              63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Way too much fun JP! [:0] Distributor arrived yesterday as well - thanks! [8D]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Way too much fun JP! [:0] Distributor arrived yesterday as well - thanks! [8D]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

JDP, For the last 20+years I have bought daily driver Corvettes the same way for the same reason. There is too much good/interesting used stuff around. Good luck with the MB. I enjoyed the 2 that I had.

Comment

JDP, For the last 20+years I have bought daily driver Corvettes the same way for the same reason. There is too much good/interesting used stuff around. Good luck with the MB. I enjoyed the 2 that I had.

Comment

quote:I have no idea why anyone would buy a new car when you can buy a much nicer, older car at the bottom of its depreciation curve and drive the wheels off of it.
                        You got that right, John.
                        Kansas has the highest personal property tax on autos in the nation, and buying tags for a new cars is frightening.
                        I expect I'll never own a brand new car, and truly - it's not a bad thing.

Chris Pile
                        StudeFolk Manager
                        http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:I have no idea why anyone would buy a new car when you can buy a much nicer, older car at the bottom of its depreciation curve and drive the wheels off of it.
                          You got that right, John.
                          Kansas has the highest personal property tax on autos in the nation, and buying tags for a new cars is frightening.
                          I expect I'll never own a brand new car, and truly - it's not a bad thing.

Chris Pile
                          StudeFolk Manager
                          http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I've been shopping for a replacement for my Chryler LHS (aka Atlantic City express) and with my winnings from the last trip put a down payment on a cream puff 1998 C280 Benz. I feel I kept a bit of the Studebaker connection and got a great deal on the car. It was 8K out door,title,tags and insurance and with 3K down, $180 month for 2 years.
                            I have no idea why anyone would buy a new car when you can buy a much nicer, older car at the bottom of its deprecation curve and drive the wheels off of it.

JDP/Maryland
                            64 R2 GT (Sid)
                            spent to date $62,839.60
                            63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                            63 Lark 2 door

I agree with you guys. I just bought a 1987 560sl Mercedez with 46,180 miles on it in absolutele show room condition, not even a pebble mark on the undercarriage. I paid 14k. It was just too good a car to let go.

Comment

JDP/Maryland
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,839.60
                              63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                              63 Lark 2 door

I agree with you guys. I just bought a 1987 560sl Mercedez with 46,180 miles on it in absolutele show room condition, not even a pebble mark on the undercarriage. I paid 14k. It was just too good a car to let go.

Comment

Working...
                              X