Bob Bourke and painting the '55 grille.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve H--

That '53 droptop is drop dead gorgeous...and I'd bet Mr Bourke would've thought so too!

Steve T the thoroughly envious

Comment

Steve H--

That '53 droptop is drop dead gorgeous...and I'd bet Mr Bourke would've thought so too!

Steve T the thoroughly envious

Comment

Steve,
        You're right about the red 53 Convert. I saw it in person and it looks more spectacular in person than any picture you could look at.
        sals54

Comment

Steve,
          You're right about the red 53 Convert. I saw it in person and it looks more spectacular in person than any picture you could look at.
          sals54

Comment

That's saying something because that shot looks perfect! Sorry to go off topic, but that is a front end that does NOT need a re-thought..

Comment

That's saying something because that shot looks perfect! Sorry to go off topic, but that is a front end that does NOT need a re-thought..

Comment

It's a mild custom, but it has a painted '55 grille.
                Check out the link - if it were mine, I'd fill in the turn signals, and put Hawk blinkers hanging down in the top edge of the grille.

http://georgemcdowell.com/cgi-bin/04...kat/kat340.jpg

Chris Pile
                StudeFolk Manager
                http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It's a mild custom, but it has a painted '55 grille.
                  Check out the link - if it were mine, I'd fill in the turn signals, and put Hawk blinkers hanging down in the top edge of the grille.

http://georgemcdowell.com/cgi-bin/04...kat/kat340.jpg

Chris Pile
                  StudeFolk Manager
                  http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

When my friend told me about my car before I bought it I didn't remember what a '55 looked like so we Googled it and the first few pics I saw didn't do much for me, I really wanted a '53-'54 but then we found this........

I don't care for the wheels but I love the rest of it. Now the '55 has grown on me, I guess they are an "acquired taste".

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

When my friend told me about my car before I bought it I didn't remember what a '55 looked like so we Googled it and the first few pics I saw didn't do much for me, I really wanted a '53-'54 but then we found this........

I don't care for the wheels but I love the rest of it. Now the '55 has grown on me, I guess they are an "acquired taste".

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

Smooth '55, Glen. Cool! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Smooth '55, Glen. Cool! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does anyone have a front view, showing the grille insert, or know what was used for an insert? Thx, tempestan

Comment

Does anyone have a front view, showing the grille insert, or know what was used for an insert? Thx, tempestan

Comment

I know there is some controversy surrounding the attractiveness of the '55 front end. I, for one, have never been a big fan of that design.

I think it looks OK on a restored stocker...because that's the way they are SUPPOSED to look, plus you really don't have a choice if you are doing a "restoration".

To me, however, it just doesn't "fit" the rest of the car. It looks heavy, droopy, and "tacked on" to an otherwise nice shape. It just isn't integrated into the total design of the car. The hood went from a highpoint of the overall design to something that didn't even fit well with the new grill, let alone with the overall design of the rest of the car. I know Studebaker had to "freshen" the look of the 55's so something like this was inevitable, and maybe it was accepted in the day and helped them sell cars in 1955. Today, the '55's are logically held up against the 53's and 54's from a styling standpoint and IMHO, it was a pretty big step backwards (in retrospect).

I think the picture Hippie posted is as nice a modified '55 as I have ever seen. The painted grill and headlight surrounds help a lot. The grill insert is nicely done. I understand I'm a little prejudice , but to me it still not as nice a front end design as the 53-54's.

Dick Steinkamp
                                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                                X