More ebay madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ebay madness

The Superlark Speedo sold for $605, the tach for $432. Something is going on, Dennis at SASCO had a great winter sales total too.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Clones! It's finally hit the Studebaker market.[}]

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Mark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA
      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
      http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Something is going on,

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
        63 Lark 2 door
        57 Wagon

Just like gold and oil - people investing their money in things they know will hold their value in poor economic times. I think I might start looking for some AMC Gremlins - saw one a few weeks back that people had bid up to @ $6000...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
        [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
        [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Something is going on,

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
          63 Lark 2 door
          57 Wagon

Just like gold and oil - people investing their money in things they know will hold their value in poor economic times. I think I might start looking for some AMC Gremlins - saw one a few weeks back that people had bid up to @ $6000...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
          [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
          [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Wow! It looks like us "orphans" have finally made the big time![)]

1947 Studebaker M-5
            1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
            1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
            1947 Studebaker M-5
            1946 Studebaker M-5
            1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Wow! It looks like us "orphans" have finally made the big time![)]

1947 Studebaker M-5
              1947 Studebaker M-5
              1946 Studebaker M-5
              1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Say hello to a cloner!

I would love a Super Lark; my ultimate dream Stude! But even if I was willing to shell out what they're going for ($25-40K), they're just not worth it to me[xx(] I'd be too nervous about driving it anywhere...

Another reason: If I paid the price for a Super Lark, I wouldn't dare alter it to my taste; that means no 5-speed, or Dave T electronic ignition, or Skytop... and I better stick with the original colors inside and out, like them or not...

Those two reasons add up to- CLONE. I now have the r2, which I can put into my 62 Daytona, which I like a little better than a 63. It'll be mostly correct, but I may paint it other than the correct black, add a non-correct lifter cover, maybe a chrome alternator. The exterior will get the r2 badges that strike my fancy.

I had a choice; save the money or borrow, and wait for the real thing; or build one just the way I want, a little at the time- and for less money. And have the freedom to alter it as I choose- free from the stress of "show correct"[^]

I lost interest in the big 3 muscle cars just for the above reasons; the cost to own them sucks the fun out of using them. I see Yenko and Hemi Cuda clones drawing close to $100K, and originals getting... well, a LOT.[:0] Think A-level Studes are headed that way? Maybe. Just not for me

Wonder if the owner of JP's ex-r2 Lark bought that speedo...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Say hello to a cloner!

I would love a Super Lark; my ultimate dream Stude! But even if I was willing to shell out what they're going for ($25-40K), they're just not worth it to me[xx(] I'd be too nervous about driving it anywhere...

Another reason: If I paid the price for a Super Lark, I wouldn't dare alter it to my taste; that means no 5-speed, or Dave T electronic ignition, or Skytop... and I better stick with the original colors inside and out, like them or not...

Those two reasons add up to- CLONE. I now have the r2, which I can put into my 62 Daytona, which I like a little better than a 63. It'll be mostly correct, but I may paint it other than the correct black, add a non-correct lifter cover, maybe a chrome alternator. The exterior will get the r2 badges that strike my fancy.

I had a choice; save the money or borrow, and wait for the real thing; or build one just the way I want, a little at the time- and for less money. And have the freedom to alter it as I choose- free from the stress of "show correct"[^]

I lost interest in the big 3 muscle cars just for the above reasons; the cost to own them sucks the fun out of using them. I see Yenko and Hemi Cuda clones drawing close to $100K, and originals getting... well, a LOT.[:0] Think A-level Studes are headed that way? Maybe. Just not for me

Wonder if the owner of JP's ex-r2 Lark bought that speedo...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Though EBAy is consistently the home of THE highest prices in the Universe for one mans junk, anothers' Treasure, it really is the Bling Bling Eye Candy Novelties like tachs, superchargers, chrome stuff, NOS R6 muffler belts, and emblems and other doo-dads that usually garner the insanely high prices. I figure it is causing problems by pulling swap meet prices upward, too. I have gone from really disliking EBay, to loathing it on account of that reason and the "improvements" they've implemented lately, such as hiding bidder id's, the way that the listing info pops up briefly and then disappears, etc. Too many smoke and mirrors slight of hand gimmicks. I also am toying with a theory that many sellers utilize shill bidders, and a few have even learned how to hack into EBay to manipulate it. Just Maybe. Another peeve is greedy sellers who want to have their cake and eat it in a so-called "Auction" environment with the safety net of "Reserves". Only the buyer assumes any risk, bidding on something sight unseen for cash over the internet! If a seller must have a certain price, then I believe they just should list it in a car trader magazine or Lemmings with their firm price, or at least have a Buy-it-now.. An "auction" on EBAy has the benefit of optimum exposure to the buying public, & gives buyers time to reconcile paying a higher than normal price. It is a sellers' dream. But, the reality of a real, bona fide auction is that the pool of willing buyers is what establishes the fair market value, NOT wishful thinking by the seller! They shouldn't be wasting peoples' time with unrealistic Reserves. They are the counterpart of pesky "lookie loos". Some may disagree, but the EBay deck is stacked to favor EBay, primarily(no surprise); and THEN the Seller, with their over the top hyperbole, "reserves" and ripoff shipping and handling fees, etc., etc. The buyer is just a mark at the far end of the pecking order. It seems as though the company firmly believes that the lowly buyer is an impulsive, emotional shop-o-holic with too much money, a refugee from late-nite HSN who just has a weakness for its' service; and it is operated according to several old adages: "There's a sucker born every minute", and "A fool and his money are easily parted". They give the buyer just enough benefit to keep them hanging on so the dollars flow in.
                    S'why I avoid EBay, anymore. It is my New Years' Resolution. Hopefully, they will have some competition one of these days......

Comment

Though EBAy is consistently the home of THE highest prices in the Universe for one mans junk, anothers' Treasure, it really is the Bling Bling Eye Candy Novelties like tachs, superchargers, chrome stuff, NOS R6 muffler belts, and emblems and other doo-dads that usually garner the insanely high prices. I figure it is causing problems by pulling swap meet prices upward, too. I have gone from really disliking EBay, to loathing it on account of that reason and the "improvements" they've implemented lately, such as hiding bidder id's, the way that the listing info pops up briefly and then disappears, etc. Too many smoke and mirrors slight of hand gimmicks. I also am toying with a theory that many sellers utilize shill bidders, and a few have even learned how to hack into EBay to manipulate it. Just Maybe. Another peeve is greedy sellers who want to have their cake and eat it in a so-called "Auction" environment with the safety net of "Reserves". Only the buyer assumes any risk, bidding on something sight unseen for cash over the internet! If a seller must have a certain price, then I believe they just should list it in a car trader magazine or Lemmings with their firm price, or at least have a Buy-it-now.. An "auction" on EBAy has the benefit of optimum exposure to the buying public, & gives buyers time to reconcile paying a higher than normal price. It is a sellers' dream. But, the reality of a real, bona fide auction is that the pool of willing buyers is what establishes the fair market value, NOT wishful thinking by the seller! They shouldn't be wasting peoples' time with unrealistic Reserves. They are the counterpart of pesky "lookie loos". Some may disagree, but the EBay deck is stacked to favor EBay, primarily(no surprise); and THEN the Seller, with their over the top hyperbole, "reserves" and ripoff shipping and handling fees, etc., etc. The buyer is just a mark at the far end of the pecking order. It seems as though the company firmly believes that the lowly buyer is an impulsive, emotional shop-o-holic with too much money, a refugee from late-nite HSN who just has a weakness for its' service; and it is operated according to several old adages: "There's a sucker born every minute", and "A fool and his money are easily parted". They give the buyer just enough benefit to keep them hanging on so the dollars flow in.
                      S'why I avoid EBay, anymore. It is my New Years' Resolution. Hopefully, they will have some competition one of these days......

Comment

I do almost all my shopping online, and not just for Studebaker stuff, all the way to groceries. When possible, ebay is my first stop. Recently I saved money buying a printer cartridge, a hard drive, some new smoking pipes, and a pump for by degreasing tank.
                        It is a sellers dream, giving a individual world wide exposure to his sale and thus the best price. I've paid mad money for a item I had to have and probably will again. Yes, I pay too much on occasion, but I get the occasional bargain too.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,839.60
                        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

I do almost all my shopping online, and not just for Studebaker stuff, all the way to groceries. When possible, ebay is my first stop. Recently I saved money buying a printer cartridge, a hard drive, some new smoking pipes, and a pump for by degreasing tank.
                          It is a sellers dream, giving a individual world wide exposure to his sale and thus the best price. I've paid mad money for a item I had to have and probably will again. Yes, I pay too much on occasion, but I get the occasional bargain too.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,839.60
                          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Same here, JDP. I've gotten a lot of good deals on eBay. We take a lot of photos with the digital cameras, so my mother bought me an Epson PictureMate photo printer for Christmas a couple years ago. I love it, and it's the one printer I've owned that actually does NOT use ink like it's free. I wanted the battery for it, and got one on eBay for $10, shipping included. Epson wanted $50 PLUS SHIPPING. Got some nice accessories for it on there, too, and I do need a new power cord, so I guess I'll be shopping some more for that.

Most of my Stude memorabilia has come from there as well. Brochures and so forth, mainly, but also a couple of other things ... and my Indiana license plate collection was completed by the 1913 and 1914 plates my wife bought on there as surprise anniversary and birthday presents. I searched 20 years for good ones, she finds 'em in 15 minutes online. Go figure.

Until recently, I was selling on eBay, too. Nothing to brag about, but I did OK. Moved a lot of license plates, some parts off a couple cars I had, computer stuff, and clothes the kids outgrew. I think the best I ever did was with the set of all 50 states' license plates plus D.C., or perhaps the complete set of '55 Mercury wheelcovers I inherited from Grandpa. He told me before he died, if I couldn't use 'em, "Find someone who can." Hello, eBay! I couldn't believe it, but they sold for $150. They were nice, but I was just flabbergasted.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Same here, JDP. I've gotten a lot of good deals on eBay. We take a lot of photos with the digital cameras, so my mother bought me an Epson PictureMate photo printer for Christmas a couple years ago. I love it, and it's the one printer I've owned that actually does NOT use ink like it's free. I wanted the battery for it, and got one on eBay for $10, shipping included. Epson wanted $50 PLUS SHIPPING. Got some nice accessories for it on there, too, and I do need a new power cord, so I guess I'll be shopping some more for that.

Most of my Stude memorabilia has come from there as well. Brochures and so forth, mainly, but also a couple of other things ... and my Indiana license plate collection was completed by the 1913 and 1914 plates my wife bought on there as surprise anniversary and birthday presents. I searched 20 years for good ones, she finds 'em in 15 minutes online. Go figure.

Until recently, I was selling on eBay, too. Nothing to brag about, but I did OK. Moved a lot of license plates, some parts off a couple cars I had, computer stuff, and clothes the kids outgrew. I think the best I ever did was with the set of all 50 states' license plates plus D.C., or perhaps the complete set of '55 Mercury wheelcovers I inherited from Grandpa. He told me before he died, if I couldn't use 'em, "Find someone who can." Hello, eBay! I couldn't believe it, but they sold for $150. They were nice, but I was just flabbergasted.

Comment

Working...
                              X