This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video...Omaha Drag Races!!

Here it is ...and for free [:0]...courtesy of Frank VanDoorn's (41Frank) wife [:X].

15 minutes of Studes (and Stude wannabees) tearing up the Rolling Thunder Drag Strip at the Mid America Motorplex just south of Council Bluffs, Iowa. Frank had his plate full as the go-to-guy for the concours at the successful Omaha International Meet, but volunteered to also set up the "unofficial" Friday afternoon drags.

What a job Frank did . The track and facilities were first class. A full on Pro set up. The track staff was professional and efficient. We had the track to ourselves from 3 PM until we reluctantly had to leave to attend the banquet.

Bob Palma is at the starting line with the public address system and does the announcing.

The original video is about 23 minutes. I've edited it down to 3 five minute sections. I don't think I took out any recorded racing. Highpoints (for me) are...

Volume 1
    2:34 My first race. Dave intimidates me and I'm too hard on the loud pedal and too quick on the clutch. Big time wheel spin. I have to get completely out of it in order to hook up again. Make note to self for the rest of the day: Get clutch all the way out before gettin' on it.

3:30 Actually a low point. Rick busts the trany in his beautiful Stude truck racing his brother. Fortunately, Rick had brought along an extra trans and was able to fix the truck for the return trip to Florida.

3:58 I break a throttle cable racing Dave Lester (StudeDude)...at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it . I did get the cable repaired quickly and came back for more abuse.

Volume 2
    1:43 I "tree" Frank in his R2 powered '41 Champion. It was purely by accident [^]...and the ONLY way I was going to beat Frank's car.

2:46 Frank gets into the 9's for the first time that day.

3:47 A good run for Dave Lester (weren't they all? []). Dave ran pretty consistently in the 9.7's. He's the one to beat in South Bend [}]

3:59 I uncorked my headers at this point for the rest of the afternoon. Funny thing, my car with open headers didn't make as much noise as Dave's 54 and Frank's 41 through mufflers [?]. Go figure. Isn't the point to make as much noise as possible [)]?

Volume 3
    :16 A good run for me against a nice looking farm truck. I know how to pick my competition

1:08 Ted makes his first run in Frank's '41

2:05 Ted races a beautiful CE

2:54 I make the mistake of lining up against Ted. My buddy Jim Carter is in the passenger seat of my car. Not only does Ted cut a .045 light, but would beat me easily even if I had the same reaction time as he did (in my dreams!)

3:28 Sheba and S2D put on a pretty good show. Dave kicks my butt

Omaha Drags Volume 1 http://www.videoegg.com/video/bMbOrB

Omaha Drags Volume 2 http://www.videoegg.com/video/bMbPpB

Omaha Drags Volume 3 http://www.videoegg.com/video/bMbPuC

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Good job on the editing Dick and thanks for posting it for all to enjoy. Looking forward to doing the drags again next year with Mr. (holeshot)Harbit in his own car.

Frank (lawnchair) van Doorn
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Good job on the editing Dick and thanks for posting it for all to enjoy. Looking forward to doing the drags again next year with Mr. (holeshot)Harbit in his own car.

Frank (lawnchair) van Doorn
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Dick... it's not bad enough that it's been three weeks since I drove my own Stude (after finally getting it back together after having it apart for about 3 mos. or so) and that I was jonesing for some V-8 goodness so bad that I actually rolled my windows down when stuck behind a 5-liter Mustang in traffic... then I get home and see this posted...

nate

(wish I could have been there)

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Dick... it's not bad enough that it's been three weeks since I drove my own Stude (after finally getting it back together after having it apart for about 3 mos. or so) and that I was jonesing for some V-8 goodness so bad that I actually rolled my windows down when stuck behind a 5-liter Mustang in traffic... then I get home and see this posted...

nate

(wish I could have been there)

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks to Mrs. Van Doorn for the filming and thanks to Dick for the editing, that was almost as much fun as the first time. This meet will be a hard one to top.

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil
            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Thanks to Mrs. Van Doorn for the filming and thanks to Dick for the editing, that was almost as much fun as the first time. This meet will be a hard one to top.

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              51 Champion
              Phil
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Thanks one and all for the Great video.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Thanks one and all for the Great video.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                  64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                  88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Thanks guys! (And gals) Made my day!!! Wow, that fried green tomato Champ really blew the doors off everything it was put against! say, is that truck supercharged? []

I REALLY like that '41 R2 Champ!!!

As Forrest Gump would say, "Those are some fast trucks!"

Comment

Thanks guys! (And gals) Made my day!!! Wow, that fried green tomato Champ really blew the doors off everything it was put against! say, is that truck supercharged? []

I REALLY like that '41 R2 Champ!!!

As Forrest Gump would say, "Those are some fast trucks!"

Comment

Simply Great videos !
                        What a Hoot for this ole coot. [8D] Thanks for sharing.
                        Would liked to have been in attendance. .

'49 Champion Starlight Coupe
                        1936 Miller Replica / Stude driveline

Comment

Simply Great videos !
                          What a Hoot for this ole coot. [8D] Thanks for sharing.
                          Would liked to have been in attendance. .

'49 Champion Starlight Coupe
                          1936 Miller Replica / Stude driveline

Comment

Dick; Thank you so much for posting these videos of the SDC drag races. For an old guy who has not attended a drag strip since the late '70's, the smell of burnt rubber and noise and blown transmissions brought back many memories.

You may have noticed some reluctance on my part when you approached me and asked if I wanted to ride to the drags with you. I hesitated, as my first reaction was to stay with my vendor spaces. I had my best sales on Friday AM (from several folks who waited until the end of the week and still had money). I also had quite a bit of money invested in being a vendor. But, a little voice went off that said, "Oh h..., go for it!! Have a little excitement besides selling junque". I did go for it and have not regretted it one bit.

The ride out in your tough K-Coupe, the excitement at the track, the ride back in Dave's C-Coupe was fun. Even when I went into the cornfield to find some nature and returned with the two ears of corn and was greeted with, "Hey, Frank, did you leave your toilet paper at the motel?", are memories never to forget. Your videos will be there to freshen these memories.

Dick, I don't know what possessed you to ask if I wanted to ride with you, but I thank you for that invitation. Other than the Wednesday dinner with the STF's, this was the excitemnet of the whole
                            week for me. You're an OK guy. Regards,

Frank Drumheller
                            Louisa, VA
                            '60 Lark Regal VI 4 dr.
                            '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck
                            full of carcasses-cars and trucks

Comment

Dick; Thank you so much for posting these videos of the SDC drag races. For an old guy who has not attended a drag strip since the late '70's, the smell of burnt rubber and noise and blown transmissions brought back many memories.

You may have noticed some reluctance on my part when you approached me and asked if I wanted to ride to the drags with you. I hesitated, as my first reaction was to stay with my vendor spaces. I had my best sales on Friday AM (from several folks who waited until the end of the week and still had money). I also had quite a bit of money invested in being a vendor. But, a little voice went off that said, "Oh h..., go for it!! Have a little excitement besides selling junque". I did go for it and have not regretted it one bit.

The ride out in your tough K-Coupe, the excitement at the track, the ride back in Dave's C-Coupe was fun. Even when I went into the cornfield to find some nature and returned with the two ears of corn and was greeted with, "Hey, Frank, did you leave your toilet paper at the motel?", are memories never to forget. Your videos will be there to freshen these memories.

Dick, I don't know what possessed you to ask if I wanted to ride with you, but I thank you for that invitation. Other than the Wednesday dinner with the STF's, this was the excitemnet of the whole
                              week for me. You're an OK guy. Regards,

Frank Drumheller
                              Louisa, VA
                              '60 Lark Regal VI 4 dr.
                              '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck
                              full of carcasses-cars and trucks

Comment

Working...
                              X