Parts availiability and originality: need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts availiability and originality: need advice

I've never been to either a swap meet nor a judged Studebaker car show, so I need a little advice.

I've finally had a chance to take a closer look at my '55. I already knew the engine was not the one on the build sheet, but I thought I had read that isn't a problem when Studebaker events are judged. However, while I was crawling all over and under the car a couple days ago, I discovered that the tranny it came with is a DG200, not the DG250 which should have been in it.
    Since I don't even know if this tranny is any good at this point, I'm starting to think of swapping out the DG200 for a 3 speed/overdrive. A few Speedsters were built that way. So while it's not original to this particular car, it would be appropriate as a Speedster option. Would a change like that push it over into a "modified" class for judging? (For that matter, can it all be crammed in there with a Saginaw power steering unit in place?)

And what about parts availability? Which particular model of manual tranny would be correct for a '55 259? How often does a 3 Speed/overdrive tranny/cluth become available out there? How hard would it be to find a complete clutch pedal/arm/mounting assmebly proper to a '55?

Finally, if I'm going to end up making that change along with the incorrect engine serial # as well, how much difference does it make if I paint the car in original Speedster colors, but not necessarily the colors original to the car? At the very least, I think I'd put a white roof on my coraltone, gray, coraltone, and make it a tri-tone.

But in researching Speedsters in some back issues of TW, I noticed a list of one of a kind experimental paint combos, including a white/gold/white. This car is presently not known to have survived. But it IS a proper Speedster color combo. It's just not what's on my build sheet. Would that knock it out of competition in judging as a restoration, and push it into "modified"?

It's not that I'm trying to be a "restoration original" snob. But I feel like a Speedster is historically significant enough that it ought to be kept as original as possible. But I really don't like Coraltone all that much, and I actually think the white and gold would look better. I might even have the interior side panels done up in white rather than Pimlico gray vinyl when I get that far. At least that would be easy to change back if I wanted to sell it and a
    "purist" wanted to change it.

Any suggestions about such changes or info on parts availability would be appreciated.

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

I don't believe for SDC judging that a car has to match the build sheet. Only that it be original in terms of colors, options, etc. that were available that year on that model. The engine SN also doesn't have to match the build sheet as long as it is the correct LOOKING engine for the year and model of the car. I don't even believe that the SN is checked to insure that it is in the proper sequence for the car. For example, if you had a 2 bolt valve cover engine in your Speedster, you would loose points.

Where you could get into trouble is with the "experimental color". Unless you have pretty good proof to show the judges that the color combination existed, you would loose points. Same with a non documented interior color.

I'm not an expert on judging and I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm steering you wrong.

Here's the judging form and judging rules...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...ngpolicies.asp

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't believe for SDC judging that a car has to match the build sheet. Only that it be original in terms of colors, options, etc. that were available that year on that model. The engine SN also doesn't have to match the build sheet as long as it is the correct LOOKING engine for the year and model of the car. I don't even believe that the SN is checked to insure that it is in the proper sequence for the car. For example, if you had a 2 bolt valve cover engine in your Speedster, you would loose points.

Where you could get into trouble is with the "experimental color". Unless you have pretty good proof to show the judges that the color combination existed, you would loose points. Same with a non documented interior color.

I'm not an expert on judging and I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm steering you wrong.

Here's the judging form and judging rules...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...ngpolicies.asp

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick .I was looking for that.

Comment

Thanks Dick .I was looking for that.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't believe for SDC judging that a car has to match the build sheet. Only that it be original in terms of colors, options, etc. that were available that year on that model.
            That confirms the impression I've had from reading here. Thanks.

quote:Where you could get into trouble is with the "experimental color". Unless you have pretty good proof to show the judges that the color combination existed, you would loose points. Same with a non documented interior color.
            I don't have the TW handy right now. But whoever the author was had gone through all the build sheets of '55 President k-bodies to find all the Speedsters. The article lists the one car built that way, along with the serial number for the car. Maybe I'll order another back issue to keep in the map pocket of the car.
            The only non-original part of the interior if I do all this would be the door and side panels inside. And for that, the original parts are actually almost useable. Maybe I could invent some sort of quick release clips for the panels??

Thanks, Dick

Now, does anyone have information on how available all those manual tranny and clutch parts are out there, and a guess on what they would cost?

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
            . . . he became a down payment for. . .
            Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't believe for SDC judging that a car has to match the build sheet. Only that it be original in terms of colors, options, etc. that were available that year on that model.
              That confirms the impression I've had from reading here. Thanks.

quote:Where you could get into trouble is with the "experimental color". Unless you have pretty good proof to show the judges that the color combination existed, you would loose points. Same with a non documented interior color.
              I don't have the TW handy right now. But whoever the author was had gone through all the build sheets of '55 President k-bodies to find all the Speedsters. The article lists the one car built that way, along with the serial number for the car. Maybe I'll order another back issue to keep in the map pocket of the car.
              The only non-original part of the interior if I do all this would be the door and side panels inside. And for that, the original parts are actually almost useable. Maybe I could invent some sort of quick release clips for the panels??

Thanks, Dick

Now, does anyone have information on how available all those manual tranny and clutch parts are out there, and a guess on what they would cost?

Paul

Comment

For the Power Steering and Auto vs Manual shift, one problem that you will have is that the steering column parts are different. There are basically 4 different steering columns for the combinations of manual steering or power steering and manual shift or Automatic. The problem is finding the correct set of parts to make the conversion. Some may still be available NOS. Unfortunately, sedan parts won't work since the steering columns are yet again different. Studebaker had 8 different steering columns for sedans vs coupe/hardtops and the combos of steering and transmissions. You really need to get friendly with the chassis parts manual If you keep the PS and change to the manual shift, I think you have to change out the internal parts of the column and the collar and bearing housing at the top. The outer housing is the same, so less work than if you were to go to manual steering, because then ~everything~ is different.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

For the Power Steering and Auto vs Manual shift, one problem that you will have is that the steering column parts are different. There are basically 4 different steering columns for the combinations of manual steering or power steering and manual shift or Automatic. The problem is finding the correct set of parts to make the conversion. Some may still be available NOS. Unfortunately, sedan parts won't work since the steering columns are yet again different. Studebaker had 8 different steering columns for sedans vs coupe/hardtops and the combos of steering and transmissions. You really need to get friendly with the chassis parts manual If you keep the PS and change to the manual shift, I think you have to change out the internal parts of the column and the collar and bearing housing at the top. The outer housing is the same, so less work than if you were to go to manual steering, because then ~everything~ is different.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

That gold and white combo sounds great! You'll have to look at the car every day,the judges might look at it for 15-20 minutes.Paint it the way you see it in your mind!!!

Oglesby,Il
                    61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

That gold and white combo sounds great! You'll have to look at the car every day,the judges might look at it for 15-20 minutes.Paint it the way you see it in your mind!!!

Oglesby,Il
                      61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

My daughter just did some photo editing for me based on a completed speedster. The gold is a little TOO yellowish, but it gives a little bit of an idea.

Paul

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

My daughter just did some photo editing for me based on a completed speedster. The gold is a little TOO yellowish, but it gives a little bit of an idea.

Paul

Comment

NICE,that color looks attractive to me!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

NICE,that color looks attractive to me!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X