new movie with Dillinger's 1932 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new movie with Dillinger's 1932 Commander

I suppose a lot of you already know this, but Dillinger's 1932 Studebaker getaway car is going to be used in a new movie about Dillinger and driven by Johnny Depp. I guess it'll be a big buck movie. It took some doing, but they finally got an agreement with the museum that owns the car to use it. I know there is a picture out there of the car if someone can find it. Here's a story:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/031108...18CH3H.049.php
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Story here:

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/artic...ews/news01.txtMark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive:

Story here:

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/artic...ews/news01.txtMark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA
      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
      http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

They begin filming this week in Chicago and Milwaukee. We did A LOT of business with them here in L.A.--they loaded up a 48 footer and rented tons of period stuff that they're keeping until June. NICE! The timing was great, just as we were starting to recover from the WGA strike.

I had no idea Dilligner drove a Studebaker. Thanks!

Comment

They begin filming this week in Chicago and Milwaukee. We did A LOT of business with them here in L.A.--they loaded up a 48 footer and rented tons of period stuff that they're keeping until June. NICE! The timing was great, just as we were starting to recover from the WGA strike.

I had no idea Dilligner drove a Studebaker. Thanks!

Comment

I remember seeing that when I went to the Zone meet in Rockford last year. Great museum! Lots of odd and interesting things. I have a picture somewhere!!

BTW, We'll be in Rockford again this weekend, visiting my Dad.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

I remember seeing that when I went to the Zone meet in Rockford last year. Great museum! Lots of odd and interesting things. I have a picture somewhere!!

BTW, We'll be in Rockford again this weekend, visiting my Dad.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Probably not a big deal to the movie company or the museum owner but the car is not a '32 but a '31. It was never used by Dillinger or for that matter any other famous desperado. Just a nice old Commander for which someone wanted to maximize the value and made a few improvements and shot a few bullet holes in and took it on a tour to make a few bucks. It has been around for many years. I have talked to the guy who "created" it some years ago and wrote about it in The Antique Studebaker Review. It was for sale at Hershey maybe 8 years ago and of course making the unsubstantiated claim to its heritage.

I certainly have no problems with the use of the car in the movie or the display of it in a museum. Just wanted to point out that there is not a scintilla of evidence that it has any connection to '30's era outlaws.

Richard Quinn
                editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Probably not a big deal to the movie company or the museum owner but the car is not a '32 but a '31. It was never used by Dillinger or for that matter any other famous desperado. Just a nice old Commander for which someone wanted to maximize the value and made a few improvements and shot a few bullet holes in and took it on a tour to make a few bucks. It has been around for many years. I have talked to the guy who "created" it some years ago and wrote about it in The Antique Studebaker Review. It was for sale at Hershey maybe 8 years ago and of course making the unsubstantiated claim to its heritage.

I certainly have no problems with the use of the car in the movie or the display of it in a museum. Just wanted to point out that there is not a scintilla of evidence that it has any connection to '30's era outlaws.

Richard Quinn
                  editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Makes me wonder what happened to the Studebaker he drove to rob the bank that day. That fact is at least historically correct. I bet the movie company will be embarrassed that they are getting conned, the story is all over the net about the "real" car being used.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,839.60
                    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Makes me wonder what happened to the Studebaker he drove to rob the bank that day. That fact is at least historically correct. I bet the movie company will be embarrassed that they are getting conned, the story is all over the net about the "real" car being used.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,839.60
                      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, it'll still be good Studebaker exposure, with the likely result that anything with oval headlights will be even further from my reach.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Well, it'll still be good Studebaker exposure, with the likely result that anything with oval headlights will be even further from my reach.

Comment

When I was a kid growing up in central Wisconsin, the circus that came to town each year had a car claimed to be Dillinger's that could be viewed for the princely fee of 10 cents. I remember viewing the car and being semi underwhelmed that it was just an old car with some bullet holes in it . This would be in the late 1950's.

I wonder if this car being used in the movie is the same car the circus had? Maybe it's just a coincidence that the movie car is from Wisconsin also.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

When I was a kid growing up in central Wisconsin, the circus that came to town each year had a car claimed to be Dillinger's that could be viewed for the princely fee of 10 cents. I remember viewing the car and being semi underwhelmed that it was just an old car with some bullet holes in it . This would be in the late 1950's.

I wonder if this car being used in the movie is the same car the circus had? Maybe it's just a coincidence that the movie car is from Wisconsin also.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X