Opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion please

I thought this would be a good place to get some feedback from the average reader. As editors of TW, we select photos for the covers based on quality and size, not necessarily concerning ourselves with originality. Deciding whether the photos be used for front, back, or inside is pretty much based on size and composition. Personally I prefer the inside photos because they have no overprinting, no text added. We don't assign a preference normally to front position or back or inside.

For a back cover we need a photo with some space at the bottom (for the overprinting) similar to the front but a little more space.

We prefer to bleed photos to the edge and use borders or banners only when necessary -- like the proportions of the photo not as required or the resolution of the photo not quite high enough.

Getting around to my question and soliciting your opinion -- Does the average reader assign a "grade" of sorts to the photo's location? In other words, is it more prestigious to be on the front cover than inside? Front than back?

I don't look at it that way but I wonder about the reader -- just curious.

Art

Personally, I think the front cover would be pretty prestigous. So, yes, I guess I would assign a "grade" to the covers. That's just my gut feeling.

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Personally, I think the front cover would be pretty prestigous. So, yes, I guess I would assign a "grade" to the covers. That's just my gut feeling.

Mark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA
      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
      http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Hey I would love to be on the Front cover but I would settle for just being on a Cover. Well I should say My Studebaker would love being on a cover.

Mabel 1949 Champion
        1957 Silverhawk
        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        1955 President State
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Hey I would love to be on the Front cover but I would settle for just being on a Cover. Well I should say My Studebaker would love being on a cover.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Art, IMHO, just being chosen my you and your staff to appear on a cover regardless of the placement is an honor. I was totally surprised when I received the 11/06 issue of TW from Chester B. in an envelope instead of in the mail. It took me a while to figue out wy and when I did, I had to be picked up off of the floor. I never expected to have a vehicle to grace a TW cover, much less the back cover. To me it doesn't matter where they are. It was the surprise and the honor to be chosen that was to me overwhelming. Thanks for the honor you bestowed on me. It was not expected. DJ

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Art, IMHO, just being chosen my you and your staff to appear on a cover regardless of the placement is an honor. I was totally surprised when I received the 11/06 issue of TW from Chester B. in an envelope instead of in the mail. It took me a while to figue out wy and when I did, I had to be picked up off of the floor. I never expected to have a vehicle to grace a TW cover, much less the back cover. To me it doesn't matter where they are. It was the surprise and the honor to be chosen that was to me overwhelming. Thanks for the honor you bestowed on me. It was not expected. DJ

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Just being on a cover is VERY nice. I am honored !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC
                sigpic
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

Just being on a cover is VERY nice. I am honored !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC
                  sigpic
                  1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

I have always thought that the front cover and then back cover were the best places to be. As a reader I like it best when there is a good story to go with the selected photo.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have always thought that the front cover and then back cover were the best places to be. As a reader I like it best when there is a good story to go with the selected photo.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I would grade them. Best is front cover, next is rear cover, the inside front followed by inside back cover.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                        Museum R-4 engine
                        1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                        1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I would grade them. Best is front cover, next is rear cover, the inside front followed by inside back cover.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                          Museum R-4 engine
                          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Art:
                            I certainly agree that is an honor to have one's Studebaker grace any of the covers of Turning Wheels.

Perhaps because of newspapers and magazines in general, I would have to say that I place more prestige on the front cover, then the back cover, and then the inside covers. I suspect readers base "favorites" upon the vehicle itself rather than on which cover it appears.

I'm sure I am not the only reader to be so impressed with a cover car that they decide to restore that particular make and model. It was the June 1986 issue with the M5 on the cover that did it for me.

Best regards-
                            John Stine
                            '46 M5 Pickup
                            '63 Lark Sedan

Comment

Art:
                              I certainly agree that is an honor to have one's Studebaker grace any of the covers of Turning Wheels.

Perhaps because of newspapers and magazines in general, I would have to say that I place more prestige on the front cover, then the back cover, and then the inside covers. I suspect readers base "favorites" upon the vehicle itself rather than on which cover it appears.

I'm sure I am not the only reader to be so impressed with a cover car that they decide to restore that particular make and model. It was the June 1986 issue with the M5 on the cover that did it for me.

Best regards-
                              John Stine
                              '46 M5 Pickup
                              '63 Lark Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X