No announcement yet.

Rare 2 tone 61 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago, I saw a Lark with trim like that at one of the International meets. We assumed someone had just flipped the trim side to side and although I liked it I did not ask the owner any questions. I never considered that it might have been an idea someone picked from a "stock" Australian issue.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

My Dad sold a new '59 Lark Regal 4 Dr. (it was Tahiti Coral) to a creative guy who liked the full "bullet" design of the '57-'58 Golden Hawks and '57 Presidents, so he ordered another set of rear fender mouldings for his car and put an upside down left one on the right and vice versa to give it a "different" more dressy look!

I would think that it would not be hard for a dealer to order '62 mouldings (in late '61) to add lower Mldgs. to the front fender and doors, and do the same as the '59 guy did on the rear to create the "bullet" but using '61 Mouldings![^][^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My Dad sold a new '59 Lark Regal 4 Dr. (it was Tahiti Coral) to a creative guy who liked the full "bullet" design of the '57-'58 Golden Hawks and '57 Presidents, so he ordered another set of rear fender mouldings for his car and put an upside down left one on the right and vice versa to give it a "different" more dressy look!

I would think that it would not be hard for a dealer to order '62 mouldings (in late '61) to add lower Mldgs. to the front fender and doors, and do the same as the '59 guy did on the rear to create the "bullet" but using '61 Mouldings![^][^]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is from the August,1959 issue of the Studebaker News.

Bob Langer
          63 Avanti
          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

This is from the August,1959 issue of the Studebaker News.

Bob Langer
            63 Avanti
            Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

I like your Lark, which is saying something, considering that I have never liked the '61 models, and recently listed the '61 Lark as being my least favorite of any Studebaker designs.
              That trim treatment and the 2-Tone makes all the difference, I believe that if that had been factory available here in the U.S., sales would have been greatly benefited. It also reminds me of the 2-Tone treatment that was used on my very similar green and white '61 Rambler Classic.

Comment

I like your Lark, which is saying something, considering that I have never liked the '61 models, and recently listed the '61 Lark as being my least favorite of any Studebaker designs.
                That trim treatment and the 2-Tone makes all the difference, I believe that if that had been factory available here in the U.S., sales would have been greatly benefited. It also reminds me of the 2-Tone treatment that was used on my very similar green and white '61 Rambler Classic.

Comment

Good to see another Aussie on the forum Michael, I hope to drive my 1962 Lark Regal to Portland.

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Good to see another Aussie on the forum Michael, I hope to drive my 1962 Lark Regal to Portland.

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

At first glance the Lark side treatment reminds me of the 1957 Studebaker President side treatment as well. NEAT car!

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

At first glance the Lark side treatment reminds me of the 1957 Studebaker President side treatment as well. NEAT car!

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser
                          I have alway thought that myself, it sort of gives the car a 50's style look to it I think. Thats one of the main reansons i like the car so much

Michael Pink
                          Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
                          1955 Commander Coupe
                          1961 Lark Cruiser
                          1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Austrlaia Website
                          Michael Pink
                          Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
                          1961 Lark Cruiser
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                          http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Studedude1961
                            --1963 Cruiser
                            I have alway thought that myself, it sort of gives the car a 50's style look to it I think. Thats one of the main reansons i like the car so much

Michael Pink
                            Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
                            1955 Commander Coupe
                            1961 Lark Cruiser
                            1963 Avanti R1

Michael Pink
                            Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
                            1961 Lark Cruiser
                            1962 GT Hawk
                            1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                            http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Stude Mick,
                              Can't tell without a close-up of that trim, but since the 59-60 trim fits those original front fender and door lines, I bet the "thinner trim" is from those years, with the lower rears maybe being a 1960 only flip over. That rear trim would have to be bent a little around the back of the fender curve because it angles differently for each side originally. Very cool look and can easily be used to deliver mail for folks in New York in lieu of a zip van! Jets colors, too..
                              quote:Originally posted by Stude Mick

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

I like it! is it just the opposite sdes trim flipped upside down????, It actually gives it a 57 Pontiac appearence....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????
                              No the bottom trim is slightly different to the top and is a little thinner in thickness. Ive been trying to find out for a while about the option but I havent found out to much.

Michael Pink
                              Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
                              1955 Commander Coupe
                              1961 Lark Cruiser
                              1963 Avanti R1

Comment

Stude Mick,
                                Can't tell without a close-up of that trim, but since the 59-60 trim fits those original front fender and door lines, I bet the "thinner trim" is from those years, with the lower rears maybe being a 1960 only flip over. That rear trim would have to be bent a little around the back of the fender curve because it angles differently for each side originally. Very cool look and can easily be used to deliver mail for folks in New York in lieu of a zip van! Jets colors, too..
                                quote:Originally posted by Stude Mick

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

I like it! is it just the opposite sdes trim flipped upside down????, It actually gives it a 57 Pontiac appearence....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????
                                No the bottom trim is slightly different to the top and is a little thinner in thickness. Ive been trying to find out for a while about the option but I havent found out to much.

Michael Pink
                                Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
                                1955 Commander Coupe
                                1961 Lark Cruiser
                                1963 Avanti R1

Comment

Working...
                                X