More questions from a "newby"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions from a "newby"

First, thanks to all who responded to my previous " finless hawk" post. Am now into maintenance and checking out all systems before putting any real miles on her. New questions as follows:
    1. Is there an available aftermarket oil filter to replace existing one which reads S-P # 1542739, Duocron? ? Also, to avoid spilling used oil all over the block, any suggestions other than punching vent hole in top of old filter ?
    2. Car is a 57 Silver Hawk, sellers ad said it was a 289, was a 259 also available that year? Are they distinguishable externally?
    3. Did they use "solid" lifters? Or are the lifters just normally noisy?
    Thanks

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
    Lancaster,CA
    1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

1. If it's a spin-on bypass filter, Fram PB-50 or equivalent. The filter should have mostly drained itself after the last warm shut-down. Wrap some rags around the base, and you should be OK.

2. 289s had a "P" in the engine number, stamped into the top front of the block just forward of the valley cover on a machined pad. 259s have a "V" in the number. Note: it's a STAMPED number, recessed into the metal. Raised numbers are casting numbers, and not relevant here.

3. All Studebaker engines, sixes and eights, used solid lifters, except for the '56 Golden Hawk (Packard engine) and '65-'66 models (GM engines).

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

1. If it's a spin-on bypass filter, Fram PB-50 or equivalent. The filter should have mostly drained itself after the last warm shut-down. Wrap some rags around the base, and you should be OK.

2. 289s had a "P" in the engine number, stamped into the top front of the block just forward of the valley cover on a machined pad. 259s have a "V" in the number. Note: it's a STAMPED number, recessed into the metal. Raised numbers are casting numbers, and not relevant here.

3. All Studebaker engines, sixes and eights, used solid lifters, except for the '56 Golden Hawk (Packard engine) and '65-'66 models (GM engines).

Comment

Should be a Luber-finer p/n# PB50
        or
        Fram PB50
        Wix 51050
        Purolator L30003
        UNION 76 PB50
        UNITED ENGINE LIFE LP566
        AC PB50
        AC HEAVY DUTY CATALOG PB50
        AC LIGHT DUTY PB50
        DEUTSCH (X) P3
        CHAMP P3
        CITGO P3
        MASTER PARTS P3
        MIGHTY P3
        MOBIL P3
        PHILLIPS 66 PB50
        SECURITY P3
        STP P3
        PUREPRO P3# P3

I always unscrew the filter after it set overnight.
        That only helps a little.
        Otherwise I use a Holiday Inn Express towel underneath...
        (because I am smarter that way)
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by boomer

First, thanks to all who responded to my previous " finless hawk" post. Am now into maintenance and checking out all systems before putting any real miles on her. New questions as follows:
        1. Is there an available aftermarket oil filter to replace existing one which reads S-P # 1542739, Duocron? ? Also, to avoid spilling used oil all over the block, any suggestions other than punching vent hole in top of old filter ?
        2. Car is a 57 Silver Hawk, sellers ad said it was a 289, was a 259 also available that year? Are they distinguishable externally?
        Thanks

Lancaster,CA
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Should be a Luber-finer p/n# PB50
          or
          Fram PB50
          Wix 51050
          Purolator L30003
          UNION 76 PB50
          UNITED ENGINE LIFE LP566
          AC PB50
          AC HEAVY DUTY CATALOG PB50
          AC LIGHT DUTY PB50
          DEUTSCH (X) P3
          CHAMP P3
          CITGO P3
          MASTER PARTS P3
          MIGHTY P3
          MOBIL P3
          PHILLIPS 66 PB50
          SECURITY P3
          STP P3
          PUREPRO P3# P3

I always unscrew the filter after it set overnight.
          That only helps a little.
          Otherwise I use a Holiday Inn Express towel underneath...
          (because I am smarter that way)
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by boomer

Thanks

Lancaster,CA
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Gord and Jeff- Thanks, questions now answered. At this rate, I may become a semi-expert on Silver Hawks in about 20 years.

Lancaster,CA

Comment

Gord and Jeff- Thanks, questions now answered. At this rate, I may become a semi-expert on Silver Hawks in about 20 years.

Lancaster,CA

Comment

What Gord said.

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

What Gord said.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You guys ever see a blank pad? One of mine dosen't have clover leaf or any numbering. My guess is this was a replacement engine, but someone forgot the clover leaf.

Comment

You guys ever see a blank pad? One of mine dosen't have clover leaf or any numbering. My guess is this was a replacement engine, but someone forgot the clover leaf.

Comment

I think MAYBE, the way it worked is that after they started using a special "E" number (E5 & E6) to identify the H.D. Truck engines the engine plant quit using the cloverleaf to indicate a H.D. production engine, so they then switched to using it to indicate a H.D. new replacement block, so a Std. engine would not have a cloverleaf.

Anyway whatever the case, you have a replacement engine no matter![:0]

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think MAYBE, the way it worked is that after they started using a special "E" number (E5 & E6) to identify the H.D. Truck engines the engine plant quit using the cloverleaf to indicate a H.D. production engine, so they then switched to using it to indicate a H.D. new replacement block, so a Std. engine would not have a cloverleaf.

Anyway whatever the case, you have a replacement engine no matter![:0]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X