This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Daytona twins have been reunited!

I drove to Angwin CA to pick up the twin to my '63 Daytona Wagon. Ah, what a faded beauty. This car had just about every option available. It had that rare tailgate step, power steering, power (dual MC - Avanti?) brakes, automatic transmission, upgraded upholstry, roof rack, radio, ad nauseum. If only the rust wasn't so bad. The bottom of the rear quarter panel is completely missing. The interior is beautiful. The rear seat still has it's (factory?) dimple plastic protective seat covers and they're intact! Yellow, yes, but intact. I'd be willing to bet this motor is an R1. The option was available (I think) in '63. Regardless, it's frozen solid as a block of granite. The carb looks like it's going to disintegrate at any moment.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can borrow the camera again.
    By the by, the trip to get the car was an adventure in itself. Took me twenty-four hours. Oi, what an exercise in endurance.
    But she's finally dug out of her hole and home. What a beauty she is, if a bit faded...

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron,

I am confused! On one hand you are pushing cars off your property to get ready for the move and now you drag something else home. Sounds like you are in the last throws of "Studeitis". Fortunately, it has no known cure other than the acquisition of a non compliant partner or spouse.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Ron,

I am confused! On one hand you are pushing cars off your property to get ready for the move and now you drag something else home. Sounds like you are in the last throws of "Studeitis". Fortunately, it has no known cure other than the acquisition of a non compliant partner or spouse.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Gudio, lucky I'm single. I can wallow in the 'throes of studeitis' with impunity!(LMAO)

Fact remains, I've owned this car for two years. The twins came together along with frumpy. I've wanted to get her the entire time. Problem was, every time the plans were made, my main tow vehicle would break down. This time was no exception with the possible difference that the mechanical problems occured in Angwin. My brakes went out. turned out the MC was completely dry. bought a container of brake fluid from one of the residents there and was in business.

My brakes were fairly scary all the way home. They improved during the trip so I'm pretty sure that they need bleeding at this point. I so love bleeding brakes. Such fun

Checked behind the glove box/vanity and the original colour was Ermine white. Now it's powdery white and rust. Funny, usually the outside looks good and the interior is toast. With this car it's just the opposite. Sadly, the front seat isn't in as good shape as the back. The dimple plastic covers in the back and the folding down of the seat preserved the upholstry beautifully.

Sadly, the AC is just a Wards Signature unit. I'd hoped for a factory installation.

The best news is that i have four perfect door panels, a tailgate step, and other bits and pieces. All I have to do, is figure out how to get the dash off in one piece. They're so fragile.

The second reason for the trip was as a shakedown to see what else needs doing with the truck. Brakes seem to be in order. Rather find out now than 1500 miles away.

Lotsa Larks!
        Ron Smith
        Ron Smith

Comment

Gudio, lucky I'm single. I can wallow in the 'throes of studeitis' with impunity!(LMAO)

Fact remains, I've owned this car for two years. The twins came together along with frumpy. I've wanted to get her the entire time. Problem was, every time the plans were made, my main tow vehicle would break down. This time was no exception with the possible difference that the mechanical problems occured in Angwin. My brakes went out. turned out the MC was completely dry. bought a container of brake fluid from one of the residents there and was in business.

My brakes were fairly scary all the way home. They improved during the trip so I'm pretty sure that they need bleeding at this point. I so love bleeding brakes. Such fun

Checked behind the glove box/vanity and the original colour was Ermine white. Now it's powdery white and rust. Funny, usually the outside looks good and the interior is toast. With this car it's just the opposite. Sadly, the front seat isn't in as good shape as the back. The dimple plastic covers in the back and the folding down of the seat preserved the upholstry beautifully.

Sadly, the AC is just a Wards Signature unit. I'd hoped for a factory installation.

The best news is that i have four perfect door panels, a tailgate step, and other bits and pieces. All I have to do, is figure out how to get the dash off in one piece. They're so fragile.

The second reason for the trip was as a shakedown to see what else needs doing with the truck. Brakes seem to be in order. Rather find out now than 1500 miles away.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Ron Smith

Comment

Get the #'s off the engine block. It should start with JT or something like that if it's a R1.

The dash will unbolt in one piece. The best way to remove it is to take out the front seat, ley on your back and start unbolting it. There's a series of bolts towards the top/front (towards the windshield) and a few on each side. Cut the wiring harness and remove the whole thing out as a unit, guages and all. Take off the AC unit first.

Been there, done that!!

Comment

Get the #'s off the engine block. It should start with JT or something like that if it's a R1.

The dash will unbolt in one piece. The best way to remove it is to take out the front seat, ley on your back and start unbolting it. There's a series of bolts towards the top/front (towards the windshield) and a few on each side. Cut the wiring harness and remove the whole thing out as a unit, guages and all. Take off the AC unit first.

Been there, done that!!

Comment

Well, the engine is just a frozen 289. Checked the numbers in the main menu tech section. Pity. Oh well, it's no good anyway.

Remove the seat first? What a great idea! I've always tried to do the human contortionist act when working on the back dash.[:I] Thanks Matthew! Several generations of stude owners is a good thing, huh?

Hey! Are you ready for this? I thought checking to see what the condition of the spare tire compartment a good idea, so I went around to see. First thing I noticed was the panel was in two pieces. I lifted the forward one and... SURPRISE! The car has a third seat! I didn't even know that they offered this in '63! The more I get into this car, the more I just want to leave it alone and fix it up. Unfortuneately, that means another parts car... And what am I going to do for a spare???

Lotsa Larks!
                Ron Smith
                Ron Smith

Comment

Well, the engine is just a frozen 289. Checked the numbers in the main menu tech section. Pity. Oh well, it's no good anyway.

Remove the seat first? What a great idea! I've always tried to do the human contortionist act when working on the back dash.[:I] Thanks Matthew! Several generations of stude owners is a good thing, huh?

Hey! Are you ready for this? I thought checking to see what the condition of the spare tire compartment a good idea, so I went around to see. First thing I noticed was the panel was in two pieces. I lifted the forward one and... SURPRISE! The car has a third seat! I didn't even know that they offered this in '63! The more I get into this car, the more I just want to leave it alone and fix it up. Unfortuneately, that means another parts car... And what am I going to do for a spare???

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Yes, they offered the 3rd row seat in '63. There's very few known.

Comment

Yes, they offered the 3rd row seat in '63. There's very few known.

Comment

Working...
                      X