No announcement yet.

Depression photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first one I bought was 56 E12 P/U. Iwas an insurance agent and one day one of my insureds walked into my office asked me if i knew anyone who would be interested in a Studebaker truck. I said i woud as i knew he had one. He told me his grandson whom he had given the truck too did not want it. i bought it and my kids dorve it to school and to work everyday for over five years. They loved it and I loved it. We lived in a small PA town of 14K and all knew whose truck it was so I had no problem knowing where my kids were and they loved it because it was different.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The first one I bought was 56 E12 P/U. Iwas an insurance agent and one day one of my insureds walked into my office asked me if i knew anyone who would be interested in a Studebaker truck. I said i woud as i knew he had one. He told me his grandson whom he had given the truck too did not want it. i bought it and my kids dorve it to school and to work everyday for over five years. They loved it and I loved it. We lived in a small PA town of 14K and all knew whose truck it was so I had no problem knowing where my kids were and they loved it because it was different.

See you in the future as I write about our past
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

We don't like to admit it, but as Bams50 postulated a couple weeks ago, cars really are better and really do last longer today. That they don't have as much personality is a different discussion. BP
        Yeah, And it is a shame that the ones with personality you have to fight to save, while the newer bland ones will last without a passing glance.[V]

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

We don't like to admit it, but as Bams50 postulated a couple weeks ago, cars really are better and really do last longer today. That they don't have as much personality is a different discussion. BP
          Yeah, And it is a shame that the ones with personality you have to fight to save, while the newer bland ones will last without a passing glance.[V]

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

Leonard, I loved that cover picture from Motor Magazine. I have one or two copies of that magazine myself, with equally well-done art. I wonder who was the artist, and if there is a gallery of his work available on-line or in a book somewhere?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Leonard, I loved that cover picture from Motor Magazine. I have one or two copies of that magazine myself, with equally well-done art. I wonder who was the artist, and if there is a gallery of his work available on-line or in a book somewhere?

Comment

The history major in me...
                and the journalism major in me...
                (both make me correct small details...)
                Want to remind you that the depression was over by 1940...
                War production had already started and employment was much improved over 1932-33 levels.

According to the cutline, the subjects of the first photo are migrant workers...they still exist today.
                They're poor, but not victims of the depression.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The history major in me...
                  and the journalism major in me...
                  (both make me correct small details...)
                  Want to remind you that the depression was over by 1940...
                  War production had already started and employment was much improved over 1932-33 levels.

According to the cutline, the subjects of the first photo are migrant workers...they still exist today.
                  They're poor, but not victims of the depression.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Also a 1934 Studebaker. Note the young man with the neck tie and bare feet. Obviously his Sunday go to meetin' clothes where he would see lots of his pals dressed similarly.

Richard Quinn
                    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Also a 1934 Studebaker. Note the young man with the neck tie and bare feet. Obviously his Sunday go to meetin' clothes where he would see lots of his pals dressed similarly.

Richard Quinn
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

And of course, this famous photo...

Leonard Shepherd
                        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

And of course, this famous photo...

Leonard Shepherd
                          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Richard Quinn
                            Dick: Isn't this just another view of the subject photo that started this thread? Same Car! Look at the location of the pail on top of the car in both photos, and the stick(?) coming out on top of the left side of it (viewed from drivers position).

The fellow standing at the rear of the car you reference is the same little guy standing beside the drivers dooor, out aways, in the first photo. [:0] BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Richard Quinn
                              Dick: Isn't this just another view of the subject photo that started this thread? Same Car! Look at the location of the pail on top of the car in both photos, and the stick(?) coming out on top of the left side of it (viewed from drivers position).

The fellow standing at the rear of the car you reference is the same little guy standing beside the drivers dooor, out aways, in the first photo. [:0] BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I'm sure you are right.

I wonder if any of the folks in that picture are still around?

Comment

Working...
                                X