Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1940 Mileage contest. What’s your guess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My un-educated guess will be 30.30 mpg. Good luck to all others... [:0]

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The average of ALL the cars entered?

I will guess 27.13

Craig

Comment

The average of ALL the cars entered?

I will guess 27.13

Craig

Comment

That little spot behind the front tire couldn't be a fuel leak, could it? If so, put me down for 14.19. If it's an old piece of gum, 22.33.
          I'll take a 2 dr. coach in maroon, please.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
          47 M-5
          Izzer Buggy
          Junior Wagon
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

That little spot behind the front tire couldn't be a fuel leak, could it? If so, put me down for 14.19. If it's an old piece of gum, 22.33.
            I'll take a 2 dr. coach in maroon, please.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
            47 M-5
            Izzer Buggy
            Junior Wagon
            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Comment

Comment

No big winners in the guess the mileage contest so I guess I will have to keep the 1940 Champion! The correct answer is shown in the article below the photo from the Studebaker News of June 7, 1940. Looks like a few got fairly close. If you guessed between 30 and 32 consider your self a (moral) victor!

<center>Utah driver Gets National Prize For Greatest Mileage</center>

<center>Two Tie For Second Place in Los Angeles; 37 Receive Cash</center>

After lengthy examination of all the affidavited entries submitted by Studebaker dealers in the National Economy Week Contest, the greatest mass economy event ever staged, the winners have been chosen and announced.

Grand winner is Ross Harper, St. George, Utah, and the dealer for whom he drove was Clarence Dahl, also of St. George. He will receive the DeLuxe four-door Champion sedan.

Over 1,500 calibrated gas tanks were distributed before this contest and a similar number of official affidavit blanks, so this achievement is remarkable from every standpoint. The winning drivers were all non-professionals drove stock Studebaker Champions and competed in all conditions of weather and traffic. A great deal of publicity was received by Studebaker dealers in all parts of the country and public attention was focused once more on the Champion's economy.

The national average of all contestants was the amazing mileage of 31.14 miles to the gallon of gas, which even betters the record made by professional drivers in the Gilmore-Yosemite Economy Run. (Studebaker News June 7, 1940)

Richard Quinn
                  editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

No big winners in the guess the mileage contest so I guess I will have to keep the 1940 Champion! The correct answer is shown in the article below the photo from the Studebaker News of June 7, 1940. Looks like a few got fairly close. If you guessed between 30 and 32 consider your self a (moral) victor!

<center>Utah driver Gets National Prize For Greatest Mileage</center>

<center>Two Tie For Second Place in Los Angeles; 37 Receive Cash</center>

After lengthy examination of all the affidavited entries submitted by Studebaker dealers in the National Economy Week Contest, the greatest mass economy event ever staged, the winners have been chosen and announced.

Grand winner is Ross Harper, St. George, Utah, and the dealer for whom he drove was Clarence Dahl, also of St. George. He will receive the DeLuxe four-door Champion sedan.

Over 1,500 calibrated gas tanks were distributed before this contest and a similar number of official affidavit blanks, so this achievement is remarkable from every standpoint. The winning drivers were all non-professionals drove stock Studebaker Champions and competed in all conditions of weather and traffic. A great deal of publicity was received by Studebaker dealers in all parts of the country and public attention was focused once more on the Champion's economy.

The national average of all contestants was the amazing mileage of 31.14 miles to the gallon of gas, which even betters the record made by professional drivers in the Gilmore-Yosemite Economy Run. (Studebaker News June 7, 1940)

Richard Quinn
                    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Well, I'll be.... (If my rollback got that type of mileage I would have made money at York ).

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Well, I'll be.... (If my rollback got that type of mileage I would have made money at York ).

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
                        X