New SDCer with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SDCer with questions

Hi,I'm new to SDC and am enjoying my first restoration on my first Studebaker, a 1960 Hawk. My dad drove Studebakers when I was a kid. He taught me how to drive on a 54 Commander 3 speed od. Although this is my first Studebaker, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for our favorite cars. I have two questions, first I read in the March issue of Turning Wheels that all the styling differences in the Hawks can be found in the 1992 October issue of Turning Wheels. They have issues of every month for 1992 except October. Does anybody have an October "92" issue you would be willing to sell? If so please e-mail me. Second question, My Hawk is a "60" but a p/o changed the front clip to one with the turn signals on top of the fenders. How is this looked upon by other Hawk owners? I plan to drive the car and show it in some small local shows. I come from the world of Corvettes where total orignalty is priority. Thanks.

Jim Barker
    Jim Barker
    '70' Avanti II

You won't have any problems with little things like that.
    But swap one of your 'Vette engines into a Stude and you'll probably hear from a few
    As a whole, the SDC is into driving Stude's and preserving history...if possible.
    The SDC has a custom, and a modified class at bigger meets that allow a hot rod Stude to compete and have fun, as well as a Stude with a different brand engine (Wankel, turbine, etc.)
    Most are here to have fun, and we welcome new people!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JJB

Hi,I'm new to SDC and am enjoying my first restoration on my first Studebaker, a 1960 Hawk. My dad drove Studebakers when I was a kid. He taught me how to drive on a 54 Commander 3 speed od. Although this is my first Studebaker, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for our favorite cars. I have two questions, first I read in the March issue of Turning Wheels that all the styling differences in the Hawks can be found in the 1992 October issue of Turning Wheels. They have issues of every month for 1992 except October. Does anybody have an October "92" issue you would be willing to sell? If so please e-mail me. Second question, My Hawk is a "60" but a p/o changed the front clip to one with the turn signals on top of the fenders. How is this looked upon by other Hawk owners? I plan to drive the car and show it in some small local shows. I come from the world of Corvettes where total orignalty is priority. Thanks.

Jim Barker
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You won't have any problems with little things like that.
      But swap one of your 'Vette engines into a Stude and you'll probably hear from a few
      As a whole, the SDC is into driving Stude's and preserving history...if possible.
      The SDC has a custom, and a modified class at bigger meets that allow a hot rod Stude to compete and have fun, as well as a Stude with a different brand engine (Wankel, turbine, etc.)
      Most are here to have fun, and we welcome new people!
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JJB

Jim Barker
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

i have cars both ways {stock & mod.) its your car to enjoy so do what ever turns your crank

Comment

i have cars both ways {stock & mod.) its your car to enjoy so do what ever turns your crank

Comment

Jim,
            As stated above, you build the car the way you want to enjoy it. I've driven mine modified ever since I got it 37 years ago. I've heard it all from those who think I should paint it, or put it back to original, or whatever. I drive it cuz I like it. Don't get me wrong though, cuz I also love the restored versions and have great respect for those who have the talent, time and resources to do such a job. Good Luck on the project.
            If you ever need help, or parts, this is a GREAT place to ask. You will find people here more than willing to help in more ways you can believe.
            sals54

Comment

Jim,
              As stated above, you build the car the way you want to enjoy it. I've driven mine modified ever since I got it 37 years ago. I've heard it all from those who think I should paint it, or put it back to original, or whatever. I drive it cuz I like it. Don't get me wrong though, cuz I also love the restored versions and have great respect for those who have the talent, time and resources to do such a job. Good Luck on the project.
              If you ever need help, or parts, this is a GREAT place to ask. You will find people here more than willing to help in more ways you can believe.
              sals54

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate and need your help. I like the turn signals on top of the fenders, so I will continue to fix'er up (thanks Dave) just the way she is.

Jim Barker
                Jim Barker
                '70' Avanti II

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate and need your help. I like the turn signals on top of the fenders, so I will continue to fix'er up (thanks Dave) just the way she is.

Jim Barker
                  Jim Barker
                  '70' Avanti II

Comment

Jim, Welcome to the Forum and the SDC...

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar
                    3E-6/7-122
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Jim, Welcome to the Forum and the SDC...

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar
                      3E-6/7-122
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Jim welcome as others have said. The 60 Hawk is yours and you can do as you wish with it. I personally have both original and tastefully modifieds ones also. So do as you wish. I may also have the Turning Wheels that you are looking for. If you want contact me outside of here and we can discuss it.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Jim welcome as others have said. The 60 Hawk is yours and you can do as you wish with it. I personally have both original and tastefully modifieds ones also. So do as you wish. I may also have the Turning Wheels that you are looking for. If you want contact me outside of here and we can discuss it.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Welcome, Jim!

My Daytona is modified with such things as A/C, disc brakes and a CD player. I enjoy driving the car and these things make it a bit nicer. Nobody has ever given me any static about the mods. More likely the comments are about the miles that I have driven.

BTW, across the river in the Omaha area you will find a very active Husker Chapter of SDC. You may want to look them up. Check the club home page for contacts.

Jim Bradley
                            Lewistown PA
                            '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                            Jim Bradley
                            Lake Monticello, VA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            sigpic

Comment

Welcome, Jim!

My Daytona is modified with such things as A/C, disc brakes and a CD player. I enjoy driving the car and these things make it a bit nicer. Nobody has ever given me any static about the mods. More likely the comments are about the miles that I have driven.

BTW, across the river in the Omaha area you will find a very active Husker Chapter of SDC. You may want to look them up. Check the club home page for contacts.

Jim Bradley
                              Lewistown PA
                              '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                              Jim Bradley
                              Lake Monticello, VA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X