Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can't make it to the International Meet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can't make it to the International Meet...

If you can't make it to the International Meet...and live within what you consider reasonable driving distance to the beautiful N.C. mountains...come join us for the 51st "Tri-State" meet in Maggie Valley NC! Looks like the weather will be great and no abbreviated schedule from an approaching hurricane as was the case last year!

If you can't bring your Studebaker, drive what you can, but bring yourself! You are welcome and we always enjoy the fellowship!
    (click the link below)

http://www.ncsdc.net/#
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I'll second what John says! This is a very enjoyable meet in a beautiful area. If you can attend, you will be glad you did!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

This was a great event. Only a very little rain and that did not dampen anything. We did have to forgo the annual Studebaker parade due to a downpour late yesterday afternoon. The turn out was great with lots of really nice Studebakers. There were people from Indiana to Florida there. It was a great time all around. I would recommend this annual event (this was the 51st annual Tri-State meet) to anybody interested in a visit to the North Carolina mountains with your Studebaker.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
        This was a great event. Only a very little rain and that did not dampen anything. We did have to forgo the annual Studebaker parade due to a downpour late yesterday afternoon. The turn out was great with lots of really nice Studebakers. There were people from Indiana to Florida there. It was a great time all around. I would recommend this annual event (this was the 51st annual Tri-State meet) to anybody interested in a visit to the North Carolina mountains with your Studebaker.
        Yes!...It was great to see you! My very first Studebaker meet was the Tri-State meet in 1975. I Back then, I drove my first Studebaker. It was the same 1955 truck I drove up this weekend. My wife & I had a great time! She followed me up in her Camry. We left home Friday with the temperature about 96 degrees. I joked that I thought my oil pressure made it all the way up to 20lbs on such a hot day. Then, we did get caught in a brief downpour about 20 miles from our destination. It was a huge (but brief) gully washer. That's the way it is in these hills.

On the way home this morning, the temperature was much better and it's amazing what effect ambient temperature can have on oil pressure. My engine has had low oil pressure for years, but it still ran like a top on the way home. We stayed off the interstate, and it took us a little over two hours for the 87 mile trek going right through the towns of Clyde, Canton, Enka Village, Mills River, Hendersonville, East Flat Rock, and The Great metropolis of TUXEDO , and then down the hill home!

It was especially good to see Jeff and Patsy Studebaker driving their '49 2R5 Studebaker all the way from Indiana! In fact, after our meet today, they headed over a few more mountains in that little truck (Still running the flathead six with overdrive), to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tn. Talk about a hardy couple! I even met one N.C. member who had managed to attend the international meet in Mansfield, Ohio...drive all the way back home, get a nap, and then showed up at our meet Saturday morning! I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Hats off to the NC volunteer members who work so hard to make this event so much fun and so successful!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So...it is Monday morning after returning home from this Tri-State meet. After a couple of years of not being able to attend with me, my wife asked me to post a THANK YOU to the ladies who organized the crafts activities! This year, the crafts activities were in honor to our(recently passed) dedicated member, Jo Anne Hair. She was the leader of the Ladies Crafts activities and, this year, her granddaughter and other members stepped up and took charge. Donnie had a wonderful time and somehow managed to keep her white vest spotless despite being charged with using a paint brush! Their work is much appreciated and the fellowship...priceless!

Click image for larger version

Name:	tristate 2019 ladies crafts.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1802243
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here is a video showing each of the great Studebakers that were displayed at the Tri-State Meet on Saturday:

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thanks Paul, for posting the video! About my truck...45 years ago, I drove it to my first Studebaker meet. It was the Tri-State meet. Back home, I snapped this photo of my little girl in the back of the truck parked in my yard.

45 years later...both are still around! She grew up!

I'm experimenting with this new forum format. If the pics don't show up...let me know!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X