Body Tag Streamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Tag Streamer

Hi all. I was at our local car show today, and was looking at a 50 Champion. Very rouh shape, with Tiajuana Taxi on the doors as a joke. Anyway I noticed this streamer attached to the body tag, and out of curiosity I googled it. An old thread from this forum came up, dated 2012. The streamer just says CAL, and the original thread never really came up with an answer to what it meant. Thought maybe it was worth a try to ask again. Also, it was a fairly low body number of 38. Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_165709.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1761128Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_165709.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1761128

If you were able to give us the real Serial Number that SHOULD be on the Title and the driver's Door Latch Post, we could tell if that Serial Number Champion was built at the Vernon Plant in Los Angeles Calif. and the Body was to be sent from South Bend to Calif. (CAL) for Assembly.

Probably no way to tell now, if the Show is over.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Possible the "CAL" means Calibrated Speedometer?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I tend to believe what Rich stated, in possibly that it was the first of a batch of bodies to be staged, and then loaded on a railcar to Vernon. The serial number will confirm it.

Here is another '50 with an 'AUTO TRANS' streamer. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....fy-my-new-baby

Craig

Comment

It is a two day show, so will be back there again today. I have my Hawk there, and just three other Studebaker Champions. I will get the serial number. Thanks.

Comment

I was able to get the serial number for the 50 Champion 4 dr. It is 852705. The old thread from 2012 had a post that said his car was built in South Bend, and had the CAL streamer.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
              I was able to get the serial number for the 50 Champion 4 dr. It is 852705. The old thread from 2012 had a post that said his car was built in South Bend, and had the CAL streamer.
              If this is the thread: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ed-to-cowl-tag , three different 1950 cars with that tag are mentioned, with one being sold new in Indiana, where the body may have been "rerouted".

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 09-08-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                If the Serial Number is really G-852705, it is a Vernon (LA) assembled 1950 Champion.
                I go along with the body shell being destined for California. I can not imagine a Champion Deluxe with a calibrated/certified speedometer.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary. The owner and I had discussed the fact that it was unlikely ever any kind of patrol car. It most likely means California then.

Comment

It is interesting that the 1950 cars with "cal" streamers seem to be low body numbers. 4 being the lowest and 38 being the highest - so far.

Were the streamers added when something was relatively new, like the introduction of automatic transmission in mid-1950??

What year did the Vernon plant begin assembling Studebaker cars?
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      What year did the Vernon plant begin assembling Studebaker cars?
                      1936, as per RQ's post #29 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ghlight=Vernon

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        I tend to believe what Rich stated, in possibly that it was the first of a batch of bodies to be staged, and then loaded on a railcar to Vernon. The serial number will confirm it./Cut/Craig
                        Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        /Cut/
                        Were the streamers added when something was relatively new, like the introduction of automatic transmission in mid-1950??/Cut/
                        I think Craig hit it on the head, with this First (or first "Group") of a batch for Calif. comment.

Something New or Unusual like a Calif. Car (with NO final Paint?), an Air Cond. Car, or a Floor Shift requiring a "Heads up" for special holes to be cut etc.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Since they were not used to installing them yet, maybe it was 'Column Automatic Linkage' since there was quite a difference in the column, and linkage, having to do with body assembly which is what most streamers were in reference to.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                            Since they were not used to installing them yet, maybe it was 'Column Automatic Linkage' since there was quite a difference in the column, and linkage, having to do with body assembly which is what most streamers were in reference to.
                            The body number is way too low to be an automatic car, as Studebaker Automatic Drive was a mid-year introduction.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              The body number is way too low to be an automatic car, as Studebaker Automatic Drive was a mid-year introduction.

Craig
                              ...except bodies were not attached sequentially. More complications LOL
                              Mike Davis
                              Regional Manager, North Carolina
                              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                              X