Bourke Styling From 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourke Styling From 1944

Here is a picture from my collection that was done by Robert Bourke for a prominent car collector back in the 1940's. There are sketches on the back of the artwork also that I discovered when I repaired the frame. As early as the mid '40's the bullet nose existed in Bob's designs.
    Attached Files

Those are some awesome design drawings. I'd say, far ahead of their time for the 40s. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I think that is Elvis driving!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
        Here is a picture from my collection that was done by Robert Bourke for a prominent car collector back in the 1940's. There are sketches on the back of the artwork also that I discovered when I repaired the frame. As early as the mid '40's the bullet nose existed in Bob's designs.
        Thank you for posting these.

The car looks like/reminds me of a one off done by a Loewy/Studebaker guy (name escapes me now). I believe that a copy of the car is being built in the shop that is doing body work for Gary Ash's Indy car replica.

All of the time that I spent with Bob Bourke, all that I have in the way of drawings is a couple of sketches done on napkins while we were eating dinner.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, it does look similar to the Exner design Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Thank you for posting these.

The car looks like/reminds me of a one off done by a Loewy/Studebaker guy (name escapes me now). I believe that a copy of the car is being built in the shop that is doing body work for Gary Ash's Indy car replica.

All of the time that I spent with Bob Bourke, all that I have in the way of drawings is a couple of sketches done on napkins while we were eating dinner.
            EDIT: That particular dinner was at a Playboy Club. After dinner, Bob followed my 1953 Commander Starliner about 50 miles just so he could admire the car. I do not know where the napkins are now (around somewhere).
            Last edited by studegary; 09-08-2019, 10:47 PM. Reason: corrected estimated distance
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Alongside the bullet nose seems like the grill for 53.

Comment

Well, I do have one drawing Bob gave to me back in 1975 and it is a rear view of what, (I believe), ended up being a 1947 model sketched in 1941. The attached photo that I took of it today is blurry simply because my cheapo camera takes lousy pics in low light conditions. Even the rug that it laying on is fuzzy but it's the best I can do for the moment...

Click image for larger version

Name:	0909191315-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1729512

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X