No announcement yet.

Converting a 4DR Comander to a convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the convertible from Randolph,wi by any chance?

Comment

Yup. Bringing it home at the end of the month. 4V 259, floor shift auto with console and buckets, PS, PB, PT, CLEAR TITLE, all there but toasty. All the convert stuff is in good shape including the top frame and windshield header. Included is a 62 4V 289. I got it at a low enough price that if it turns out to be strictly a parts car, I'll be OK. The biggest bonus is it is only an hour away from me. I'll post more once I get it home.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
        Yup. Bringing it home at the end of the month. 4V 259, floor shift auto with console and buckets, PS, PB, PT, CLEAR TITLE, all there but toasty. All the convert stuff is in good shape including the top frame and windshield header. Included is a 62 4V 289. I got it at a low enough price that if it turns out to be strictly a parts car, I'll be OK. The biggest bonus is it is only an hour away from me. I'll post more once I get it home.

JK
        Kind of looks like the car I saw up by Hustisford 10 years ago.
        sigpic
        Claude Chmielewski
        Studeski
        http://www.studeski.com
        Fillmore, Wisconsin
        47 M-16 Truck
        53 2R5
        60 Lark VIII Convertible
        60 5E7 Champ pickup
        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
        63 Lark
        63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
        64 Commander Wagonaire
        64 Daytona Convertible
        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
        36 Dictator
        36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

probably best to get a running driving 2 door and transplant the convertible stuff, to include the weights up front if it has them. Are the convertible frames stiffer?

Comment

convertibles have x members don't they?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              convertibles have x members don't they?
              In addition...don't they also have some kind of "counter weights" added? I'm pretty sure we have had discussions about that? (Never owned one myself)
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                In addition...don't they also have some kind of "counter weights" added? I'm pretty sure we have had discussions about that? (Never owned one myself)
                Yes, ahead of the front wheels, and front fender braces to the cowl aft of the wheels, and hog troughs....

Craig

Comment

Maybe his post from packardHawk58 will help. Click on the pics there to go to photobucket. It shows the convt reinforcements/torque box stuff that most likely will have to be repaired or replaced.
                  It also says he used a 4dr floor pan.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....finished-64-R1

Comment

Looks like it was Rose Mist.. Nice Power shift and all..

As noted it would be better to start with a 2 door, maybe a F4 or F6. Hard tops and convertibles share one thing in common, the rear window inner panels are different and stiffer to support no B pillar roof brace.

If you start with a hard top, you will have to cut out all that rear side paneling which was welded (not spot welded like the F4) to the floor pan. It is Much easier to cut it out with a small cut-off wheel on an F4.

But also before you do any cutting of the body, I think it would be best to weld in the torque box on the bottom of the floor pan to keep the shape of the body before removing the roof portion.

They run the outside of the frame and wrap up on the front lower outside cowl.

There are many little strips of metal and brackets you will have to de-spot weld and put on the new body like around the back frame.

Take tons of pictures and save them off. Then go back the next day and take a ton more, to get all the details.

Also do not throw any of the old parts or frame or what ever, until you are driving the car happily. There are brackets that are different on the sub-frame unique to the convertible if you have to do a frame swap as well.

Sounds like a noble adventure. Its all do-able..
                    Last edited by SScopelli; 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

AMen, do throw CHIT away..... BTDT and ended up buying it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X