Most recent Avanti woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
    Update:/Cut/My local auto shop is going to attempt the replacement since we don't have a lift. Any hints on installing a new fuel pump? Thank you all...
    Just move the Power Steering Pump out of the way, maybe the Battery, after that a Piece of Cake! No reason to go underneath at all.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You may have a clean tank, but if you haven't replaced all of the flexible fuel lines with modern materials, you are probably getting debris from the interior of the old lines.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Could be. I was thinking I had all those lines replaced when the tank was previously removed and cleaned. Maybe not...

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        You may have a clean tank, but if you haven't replaced all of the flexible fuel lines with modern materials, you are probably getting debris from the interior of the old lines.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Just move the Power Steering Pump out of the way, maybe the Battery, after that a Piece of Cake! No reason to go underneath at all.
          Is that the trick? Great. Battery no problem. It's in trunk.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Do you have a filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump?

Comment

When the tank was cleaned was it also coated inside?
              When my 50 Champion was restored in the early 90's, they coated the tank, and that crap kept coming off and plugging the intake to the fuel line.
              I removed the liner and found a mint looking tank, and have had no fuel problems since then.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                When the tank was cleaned was it also coated inside?
                When my 50 Champion was restored in the early 90's, they coated the tank, and that crap kept coming off and plugging the intake to the fuel line.
                I removed the liner and found a mint looking tank, and have had no fuel problems since then.
                just wondering how you removed the liner...I think my car may be having the same issue, and the chunks of liner are like rock hard high density rubber. thanks, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                  Do you have a filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump?
                  Absolutely...it's more important to have the fuel filter before the fuel pump than after. Keeping debris out of the fuel pump makes for longer diaphragm life.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Absolutely...it's more important to have the fuel filter before the fuel pump than after. Keeping debris out of the fuel pump makes for longer diaphragm life.
                    No, I don't have a filter before the fuel pump. When we replace the fuel pump next week will get one installed. I think I also get one of those 10 micron gas filters from the racing shop this go-round for the line from fuel pump to carb.
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      just wondering how you removed the liner...I think my car may be having the same issue, and the chunks of liner are like rock hard high density rubber. thanks, junior
                      I bolted it to a small homemade cement mixer set to about 45 degrees, and rotated it several times with a couple quarts of E-85 and a couple handfuls of wood screws and lag bolts. After several minutes of tumbling, I then turned it over to get the top side of the tank. It looked like new, so I don't know why it was ever lined.

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                        No, I don't have a filter before the fuel pump. When we replace the fuel pump next week will get one installed. I think I also get one of those 10 micron gas filters from the racing shop this go-round for the line from fuel pump to carb.
                        I have been putting a filter before the pump on all my Studebakers and changed it often. I have similar problems with my Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          I bolted it to a small homemade cement mixer set to about 45 degrees, and rotated it several times with a couple quarts of E-85 and a couple handfuls of wood screws and lag bolts. After several minutes of tumbling, I then turned it over to get the top side of the tank. It looked like new, so I don't know why it was ever lined.
                          Ok, thanks for the help.

edpjr...I have one of these in both my vehicles, installed right before the fuel inlet on the carb or pressure regulator. Super easy to disassemble and clean the screen. Also have standard style paper filters just before the fuel pumps. cheers, junior

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-8129
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                            I don't know. Never saw the refurbed tank. I paid my local mechanic to remove the tank and send it for professional cleaning and reinstall. Note: when I received the car from the seller over 10 years ago, the gas filter was so clogged up it looked like it had resin or thick syrup in with the debris. Obviously, the gas tank, lines and carb were in terrible shape. The car would barely crank, hardly run and would not idle at all.
                            edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

Had a similar issue with my 1947 Champion. Just a bit worse. Car would run fine for ten Miles’s or so, then slow down and finally stall. Let car sit for a while and would then start up run fine then slow and stop.
                              Turned out to be wheat seeds in fuel tank. They would float around and gradually block the fuel pickup.
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Gents, this story just gets worse. The "new" Carter fuel pump in the box that I bought years ago as a spare turned out to be a dud. Apparently, it was likely an R1 pump that somebody had tried to tap out a hole for connection to the S/C. After changing out the fittings and installing, it turned out the diaphragm was apparently busted too as gas squirted everywhere once the car was cranked. What a waste! I called up SI and got the last R2 fuel pump they had in stock. Seems most of my favorite dealers were gone to the National Meet. SI got me the proper pump quickly. All the steel lines from the tank were replaced, and a clear filter installed between the tank and fuel pump to check if any debris or sediment was coming from the previously boiled out gas tank. The car will run again now with no leaks. But the carb is obviously full of rust, sediment or debris. The car does not run good, still stumbles, bogs down and will not run over 60 mph. I called up Mr. Tebow and ordered another one of his excellent Daytona carb kits with the rubber pump and flat needle valves. I also bought a rebuild kit for the original fuel pump, so I'd have a real spare. Now my brother, the oldtime mechanic and carb expert, is going to rebuild and seal the Carter AFB 4-V for the 3rd time in 10 years. He'll rebuild the old fuel pump too. So now, I've got a filter on both sides of the new fuel pump and all new steel lines. The old lines had rust in them. Hopefully now, the complete carb rebuild will get me back to normalcy. Needless to say, this problem, especially with the dud fuel pump, has been exasperating and quite expensive. I won't feel good about it until this car is running super good again. Maybe by next week... Thanks again to all for the helpful info and suggestions.
                                edp/NC
                                \'63 Avanti
                                \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                                X