Most recent Avanti woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most recent Avanti woes...

An old friend invited me to a nearby town for BBQ luncheon on Saturday. It was sunny, clear and only 77 degrees so I decided to take the Avanti. The total trip was about 40 miles. For 30 miles the car ran like a dream and fast as lightning. On the way back I gave her about 3/4 throttle from a 1st gear take off and the auto trans barked tires when shifting to second. But a few miles down the road all her power went away and it was like she was starving for gas. The car would idle at stop lights but it was hard to get her up to running speed. She would not exceed about 55mph even after I got her going. Hitting the throttle would just bog her down. All gauges read normal; temp = 170F, oil press =60psi, S/C was still working. Fuel was over a quarter tank of 110 octane leaded fuel mixed with 93 octane non-ethanol. I feared she wouldn't make it back home, but she did manage to stumble the ~12 miles. I pulled her into the garage and popped the hood. There was no gas on the carb or intake. She seemed to rev up ok in park or neutral. No engine miss apparent. But under load she just doesn't want go. My guesses were (1) maybe a clogged fuel filter, (2) bad fuel pump, or (3) a clogged exhaust. My brother "the Studebaker mechanic" is coming Tuesday to help diagnose and fix the problem. Fortunately, I do have a brand new Carter R2 fuel pump in the box. A fuel filter is certainly no problem, nor would a clogged glasspack muffler be a big deal. I'll also buy another 5 gals of 110 octane leaded fuel - just in case. I hate it when a high perf car is running perfect and then out of the blue it starts running like a broke 4 cyl. I would appreciate any ideas as to possible problems I haven't considered...
    Thanks you!
    Attached Files
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Could also be trash in the fuel line or tank. Has the tank been cleaned out in the recent past?

Comment

I would first check the fuel line between the tank and the pump. It sounds like it's pulling air in some where.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

All good suggestions on what to check. I'll add the air intake. Sucked up a plastic bag or something.

Comment

Let the car sit and try restarting it. If it starts and runs it could well be debris in the tank that got sucked up into the fuel pickup and dropped out once the car was turned off.

Also...check the oil dipstick and see if it smells like gasoline. If so the diaphragm in the fuel pump could have ripped...dumping gasoline directly into the oil pan. If that's the case a new fuel pump and an oil change should get you back on the road.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

When you said:

That reminded me that I Think this is NOT the first issue with this Avanti from Hell.
            Something like $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 spent on what should have been a $5000.00 Avanti!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Don't overlook distributor/coil issues, depending on what you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                When you said:

That reminded me that I Think this is NOT the first issue with this Avanti from Hell.
                Something like $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 spent on what should have been a $5000.00 Avanti!
                Isn't that just part of the Avanti experience?
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Make sure the supercharger to fuel pump hose did not come off or is cracked. Usually this results in no fuel when the boost goes up to or past the fuel pump pressure. but..maybe the fuel pump is weak and the hose is off. Also check the points. Make sure there is a gap.

Comment

Try it without the gas cap on? Maybe the vent is plugged on it.

Comment

Yes. Tank was removed and professionally cleaned some years back.

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Could also be trash in the fuel line or tank. Has the tank been cleaned out in the recent past?
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Unfortunately, that's not far from the truth. There is virtually nothing mechanical, electrical, rubber, glass or cosmetic (inside and out) that has not been replaced or repainted. The car is also haunted.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        When you said:

edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

Thank you all very much for the trouble-shooting help. Will check out each suggestion until the problem is identified.
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

I recently had a recurring problem that may help you.

In the morning when cool my Avanti ran fine inbound to work, a 13 mile commute.

On the way home one evening, there seemed to be an occasional mis-fire. The next day a little worse and a little earlier, around mile 9. Next evening even worse. Replaced the resistance coil. No more mis-fire.

Comment

Update: No muffler problem. No apparent air leaks in the fuel lines. Removing the gas cap didn't help. The fuel pump line to the SC was fine. There was no gas in the oil. And no indications of any electrical issues. However, the gas filter was loaded with some type crap, maybe sediment or rust? No clue where it came from since the tank had previously been professionally boiled and cleaned. Obviously, trash has gotten into the carb again. Can't figure it out, but I'm going to have the fuel lines from the tank replaced and the new Carter fuel pump installed. I'll be dialing up Mr. Tebow to buy another carb kit so my brother can rebuild it again. And I think I'll put two fuel filters on the line with the second one being clear so I can see if any debris is building up before it kills the carb again. My guess is I'll be spending around another $400 to get her back running right. That fuel pump looks dang hard to get to. My local auto shop is going to attempt the replacement since we don't have a lift. Any hints on installing a new fuel pump? Thank you all...
                              edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X