Mice Love my Studebaker Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice Love my Studebaker Land Cruiser

I keep mothballs inside my old cars to keep the mice away, but my girlfriend freaked out at the smell, so I removed them 2 months ago from my 1950 Land Cruiser. Today when I sat down, 2 fat mice ran out from under the front seat and ran out the inside vent on the right kick panel. Now I put mothballs back in and make sure the inside and outside vents are kept closed while parked.
    I'm also going to set a lot of mouse traps in the garage. I'd sure hate to see my nice original upholstery get chewed to pieces, besides the stink they can make in a car.

My friends in Arizona use rid-a-rat

Low Power LED Device That Discourages Nesting in Cars

There is also an electronics place in Tucson that sells high power LEDs with a built in special strobe that makes rodents crazy. They run at 12 volts and ~800 milliamps.

I built a power supply that uses 110VAC and have installed them under the house, in the garage, and in the storage shed.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Also for long term storage push a small sponge ball in the tail pipe, I found a mouse condo in one cylinder once.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        /Cut/2 fat mice ran out from under the front seat and ran out the inside vent on the right kick panel./Cut/
        You know what this means right? It means that the little buggers have chewed through the Heater Duct Hose to get to the open Right inside Vent, they can't enter from the outside door because of the screen.

Usually the Right Inside Door is kept closed so that won't happen, BUT if there is no longer a Cover over the Fuel Tank Sender Hole in the Trunk or the accelerator Pedal Boot is open/damaged or chewed through those are the ONLY ways into the Car.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, my short hose from the blower to the outside vent on the right is off, and I need to find a good original short hose to replace it. What's left on it looks to be too short, but I'll see if I can fasten it back in place.

Comment

Better pop out your seat cushions, if they were there most likely they had lunch and started building a nest.

Comment

Not to mention all the delicious wiring insulation...

Comment

I feel your pain.

I have to leave the hood up or it will be a rat condo.
                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Yep, those damn mice even built a nest on my Olds daily driver engine last summer. They do work fast.
                  Here's 2 pictures of the mouse trap I just placed beside my Studebaker.
                  I have a 90 degree flat scoop to lift out the bodies. Hope to have some by tomorrow.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	1729410 Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1729411

Comment

Dryer sheets work well to repel rodents, also whole and ground cloves and coffee grounds.

Comment

We have one very good cat. She hunts non stop, and we havn't had a single mouse.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Got this trap from Amazon. Plug it in, or use batteries, set it on the floor of the car, they crawl inside, and it zaps them. I have zapped several large roof rats.

Eliminator Powerful Electronic Mouse Rodent Trap Killer -Eliminate Mice, Rats, Chipmunks and Squirrels Humanely, Efficiently and Safely Without Poison
                        51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                        53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I had to set traps IN my 55 at one point.

Comment

they got into my 50 champ & destroyed the front seat. I now use that stuff call tidy cab I think. Smells nice to us, but I guess bad to the buggers.....I hope it keeps working....
                            Mike Sal

Comment

To keep mice under control on my outdoor parts cars I leave the windows or something open and put out cat food a couple times a week for the local stray felines.

Comment

Working...
                              X