Oregon State Police Champ pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    The “Oregon State Police” on the doors were not painted on but a sticker or decal. They were removed when sold, so you won’t find anything of note under the paint.
    That's to bad, but makes perfect sense. My wife and I thought it might be fun to paint the pickup close to the original dark blue, with some sort of obviously fake logo on the doors. But we are still a long ways from that decision.

Thanks again for the info,
    Mike
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

As a college student in the mid 1960s, I used to hang out (and even worked part-time) at Courtesy Motors Studebaker in Corvallis, Oregon.
      Maybe you have seen this photo before. Just below the tower, is Courtesy Motors, and "Studebaker" can be seen painted on the building. It may not show up well in this sized photo, but in the full size photo, it can be seen pretty clearly when zoomed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CorvallisOR1970s_2500 small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1729353
      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

actually the sticker thing might be easier. Most sign companies can make them in Vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
          actually the sticker thing might be easier. Most sign companies can make them in Vinyl.
          Thanks, will have to look into that.
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
            Thanks, will have to look into that.
            I would suggest having them applied to a thin magnetic sheet and laser-cut to the size of the OSP graphics and have them on only for shows, parades, etc. The local law enforcement agency may frown on a permanent sticker as the vehicle is no longer used for that purpose.

Craig

Comment

Oregon State patrol cars at the time were dark blue - and so were these Champs - except the dark blue was metallic, and quite a pretty color.
              Cool beans, Jerry.

Comment: Might the "pretty dark blue metallic" have been the O'Brien Marine Blue Metallic used on Indiana State Police cars at the time? It was a fleet color; not regular production.

Click image for larger version

Name:	62larkpolicecarbuild.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1729360

Above is a Production Order for one of the ISP cars. Note the Marine Blue Metallic notation. I'll bet Oregon used it, too.

(Yes, I've posted that PO previously. Note that dual exhausts were not specified ...but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the car left South Bend so equipped.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Maybe you have seen this photo before. Just below the tower, is Courtesy Motors, and "Studebaker" can be seen painted on the building. It may not show up well in this sized photo, but in the full size photo, it can be seen pretty clearly when zoomed in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83572[/ATTACH]
                Courtesy Motors was on 3rd and Van Buren, as I recall. Held Pontiac was across the street. The Courtesy Motors building was eventually torn down and replaced with a fast food operation.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  I would suggest having them applied to a thin magnetic sheet and laser-cut to the size of the OSP graphics and have them on only for shows, parades, etc. The local law enforcement agency may frown on a permanent sticker as the vehicle is no longer used for that purpose.

Craig
                  Thanks Craig, I think would check with the State Police about a possible reproduction logo made, and like you said, just for shows or parades.
                  Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Comment: Might the "pretty dark blue metallic" have been the O'Brien Marine Blue Metallic used on Indiana State Police cars at the time? It was a fleet color; not regular production.
                    Above is a Production Order for one of the ISP cars. Note the Marine Blue Metallic notation. I'll bet Oregon used it, too.
                    I'm curious as to what our Production Order will say. Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I can see the Greyhound bus station on the main drag there. I've stopped in Corvallis many'a time for the hound.
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I'm curious as to what our Production Order will say. Thanks, Mike
                        Cool beans, Mike; let us know.

The O'Brien color code was OB-1021, so that should appear on your PO if it's the same color. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I got the production order for our pickup today. It was indeed sold to the State of Oregon. The color was Cobalt Blue Metallic.
                          A few curious things to the order. It specified, "omit tail gate lettering". And "all miscellaneous exterior parts to be painted blue". The door mirrors are gone. Hopefully can find some replacements.
                          It also spec'd HD clutch, HD battery, HD shocks and special gas filter - ceramic filter with magnetic trap.
                          It also states HD front springs. I'm not sure the front springs are original since my dad tried converting it to 4wd. Not sure if the front leaf springs are Studebaker, or Jeep. I'll have to check that. Hopefully they are Studebaker, as like to keep it as original as possible.
                          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Thank you for your update!

An interesting Production Order for sure! I bet it looked great when it was brand new in that metallic Cobalt Blue color.

I would not be surprised that Studebaker International will have those leaf springs in stock, if the current ones on the truck are not original.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I would not be surprised that Studebaker International will have those leaf springs in stock, if the current ones on the truck are not original.
                              Thanks for the information!
                              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

After ending up with a former cal trans champ, I wanted to see pictures of them in state service. Someone at cal trans told me about copies of an old division of highways engineering news magazine. I searched all of 1961 to it's end in 1967. Unfortunately I only found a few pictures of champs. I did see more Larks though.

Comment

Working...
                                X