Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in CA View Post
      After ending up with a former cal trans champ, I wanted to see pictures of them in state service. Someone at cal trans told me about copies of an old division of highways engineering news magazine. I searched all of 1961 to it's end in 1967. Unfortunately I only found a few pictures of champs. I did see more Larks though.
      That's pretty cool you found a couple photos of the Champs in service. Hoping to find some Champ photos in service with Oregon, but no luck so far.
      Mike
      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

My long narrow bed '61 Champ was originally used by the NC Forest Service. The previous owner worked for the NC Forest Service and being a Studebaker guy jumped at the chance to obtain it when it came up for auction when the Forest Service was getting rid of it (and others I would assume). He painted the truck light blue (around here it is called "Carolina Blue") when he rebuilt it (with an genuine R1 engine). When beginning the process of installing a new rubber surround on rear window , that old green paint is still there. I have had the truck for a long time but have never sent away for the official production order I guess it is time to do so.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          My long narrow bed '61 Champ was originally used by the NC Forest Service. The previous owner worked for the NC Forest Service and being a Studebaker guy jumped at the chance to obtain it when it came up for auction when the Forest Service was getting rid of it (and others I would assume). He painted the truck light blue (around here it is called "Carolina Blue") when he rebuilt it (with an genuine R1 engine). When beginning the process of installing a new rubber surround on rear window , that old green paint is still there. I have had the truck for a long time but have never sent away for the official production order I guess it is time to do so.
          That is pretty cool some of the original green paint is still there. I'm thinking about somewhere on the this pickup, trying to save just a little spot of the original paint. Won't really mean anything to anybody else, but will to me. I'm hoping to repaint it close to it's original cobalt blue.
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
            That is pretty cool some of the original green paint is still there. I'm thinking about somewhere on the this pickup, trying to save just a little spot of the original paint. Won't really mean anything to anybody else, but will to me. I'm hoping to repaint it close to it's original cobalt blue.
            The top front door hinge covers usually survive well, and are small and portable enough to be shined up and used as a color reference if the original color mixing code cannot be located. Then they can be placed in a safe spot to be installed at the finishing stages. On my '66, I'm leave those top hinge covers, and the underside of the trunklid original.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X