1961 Lark Marshal what we are learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Lark Marshal what we are learning

The build sheet showed up and shows it was assembled 8 -29- 1960, a very early car with lots of build notes.
    It has the 3rd 289 engine for 1961

Its pretty loaded all right, 289, 4 barrel, HD trans with 3.73 TT and even had Firestone 500 tires!

Also note: ' put decals on engine, both banks ' Police Special' 'Put Police in blue removable paint in Large 8 inch letters on each front door"

"Tag introductory show car"

2 full pages of build sheet that I am having trouble with. Dad can scan it and load it up later.

I wonder if any engine shots or the whole car may be floating around. I would think somebody got a picture.

You know, but others may not, the only cars that the 289 was available in for the 1961 year was Hawk, optional on the Cruiser and special/ fleet cars like this one.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I would think Richard Quinn would have a photo in a copy of Stude News, surely they would have done an article on it???
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks Mike, I do have a scanned Copy of the Production Order that Andy told me he would expedite to me.

I am really curious about those "Police Special" Decals on the Valve Covers, they are no longer there.
        Obviously done for the San Fransisco new model Introduction Auto Show or some major Auto Show.
        A new name for the 289 4V: "Police Interceptor", (I stole it from Ford!)

The Fuel Tank Drain cock is a neat feature, I wish all my Cars had.
        Most people know that you can't put a Car INSIDE a building where many people are, with Fuel in the tank.

This '61 Lark W4 Deluxe, has kept most of it's special order features after 59 years, zippered headliner and all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8_29_60 Prod. Order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1729318 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1729319

Talk about a RARE Stude. THIS is IT.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-24-2019, 12:38 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          You know, but others may not, the only cars that the 289 was available in for the 1961 year was Hawk, optional on the Cruiser and special/ fleet cars like this one.
          As per the option book, that was true, but you know as well as everyone, Studebaker would make exceptions from time to time, including a 1961 Regal two door hardtop with a 289:

Craig

Comment

Rich,

Thanks for posting that Production Order. As it has 'pull cable to roof & trunk', is there a metal shelf near the left trunk hinge as seen in this factory photo of a 1962 Marshal?

Craig

Comment

No Craig, some features that were built into this Car were never used.
              Like: the Roof Reinforcement and zippered Headliner, no trace of Siren Bolts or holes and the Radio wire in the Trunk being used, but it may have been.

Who knows it could have been used as a Detective Car, Supervisor car or never even made the grade to a Police Dept. at all!
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Who knows it could have been used as a Detective Car, Supervisor car or never even made the grade to a Police Dept. at all!
                I also agree, Rich. It was probably exhibited at vocational/trade vehicle shows such as this show in the first post here--------> https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....87375-Transtar

And it may have never been registered to a Police Department once it completed its rounds at shows. But I know its now in good hands, six days away from its 59th birthday!!

Craig

Comment

It also says " 99 - Tag Introductory Show Car "

No tag on the car, I'd like to see that one. Also any pics of any auto shows.

Comment

Wow, great find.

What exactly would the "pull cable to roof..." do? Or, is it not a "pull cable" as in a hood release cable, but instructions to the factory to install a "cable" wiring harness to the roof and trunk areas, respectively, by pulling them into place?

Or possibly pre-install a cable in those locations so that a wire harness can be pulled into place using the cable at a later time?
                    Last edited by Mark L; 08-23-2019, 09:25 PM.
                    Mark L

Comment

That IS exactly what it means Mark, "pull" the electrical wires in the roof and trunk (Not Cables) as provisions for equipment that MAY be installed.

You do have to remember that this Car is not your usual H.D. Sedan: a Y3 Long W/B Sedan/Police Car that would be Standard equipped with most of the special equipment that had to be "Special Ordered" on a Regular Deluxe W4 4 Door Sedan to "Build" a '61 "W" Body Police Car Prototype for show/display to show what could be ordered by Law Enforcement agencies.

Remember from another String, that I believe that this Car WAS built by, or completed by Engineering, not an assembly line completed unit.
                      It has the 3rd. '61 289 Engine built, and an Engineering Serial Number Plate in different Font than Production and SCREWED to the "A" Pillar.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        an Engineering Serial Number Plate in different Font than Production and SCREWED to the "A" Pillar.
                        Hey Rich, would love to see a pic of the serial number plate!
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          Hey Rich, would love to see a pic of the serial number plate!
                          I bet it looks like the one on the left in the top post here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-on-ebay/page2 (There were also comments in that thread about the serial number plate being screwed on as well.)

Post 19 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ebaker-diesels

and Post 300 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....highlight=font

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 08-24-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

It does Craig. It has a 1 instead of an I and all slightly different than the norm. Also, 2 screws instead of spot welds....

It also seems 'out of sequence' to me with where it should have been. Having engine #3 , body 134 (34 ) and the 464th serial number do not jive with regular production. It must have been in engineering at least a few days before the serial number was assigned, or shuffled back into the line since most of these 'mods' are not major.

Did they do 100 cars per day by this point?

Comment

" Originally Posted by studegary

As per the option book, that was true, but you know as well as everyone, Studebaker would make exceptions from time to time, including a 1961 Regal two door hardtop with a 289:"

By "available" I was referring to normal production orders. The one Lark (non-Cruiser) that you cite I would put into my "special" category.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X