Learnin' the blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig--

Way cool! Many thanks for finding that. Now to track down a chip of this (or another Lark or a GT that's definitely Metallic Blue), to see just what the shade looks like.

I took another look at the '62 Stude Ditzler chart online BTW and the numbers line up nicely: they run from P6210 (Velvet Black) to P6217 (Metallic Brown Poly)...next one along would be my Lark's P6218.

Also glanced at the '63 chart: had a brainwave, my Lark is a late production '62 (completion date May 22/62), and I wondered if this P6218 blue was perhaps an early batch of a '63 shade applied (with a late-addition sequential paint code) to some of the last '62s. "Blue Mist" was added to the lineup for '63...hmm...

Thanks again for the info. This forum rocks!

Steve

Comment

Craig--

Way cool! Many thanks for finding that. Now to track down a chip of this (or another Lark or a GT that's definitely Metallic Blue), to see just what the shade looks like.

I took another look at the '62 Stude Ditzler chart online BTW and the numbers line up nicely: they run from P6210 (Velvet Black) to P6217 (Metallic Brown Poly)...next one along would be my Lark's P6218.

Also glanced at the '63 chart: had a brainwave, my Lark is a late production '62 (completion date May 22/62), and I wondered if this P6218 blue was perhaps an early batch of a '63 shade applied (with a late-addition sequential paint code) to some of the last '62s. "Blue Mist" was added to the lineup for '63...hmm...

Thanks again for the info. This forum rocks!

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T
        There were two more colors added later as 'spring colors', P6223 Limette Rallye and P6224 Rally Russet metallic. You will notice that Sales Bulletin is dated November 6, 1961, rather early in the selling year, although Metallic Blue may not have been immediately available right from the start of 1962 production. The Studebaker color chart I have here stops at P6217 as well, but it is 'Printed in USA', though. Here is a Lark that is painted Limette Rallye.

Craig

Comment

There were two more colors added later as 'spring colors', P6223 Limette Rallye and P6224 Rally Russet metallic. You will notice that Sales Bulletin is dated November 6, 1961, rather early in the selling year, although Metallic Blue may not have been immediately available right from the start of 1962 production. The Studebaker color chart I have here stops at P6217 as well, but it is 'Printed in USA', though. Here is a Lark that is painted Limette Rallye.

Craig

Comment

Hi all--

Well, I think I've found what P6218 Metallic Blue looks like. Was applying polish to Betty the '62 Lark and took a hard look at the two or three chips that reveal an earlier, somewhat paler, and metallic coat of paint beneath. I had thought that colour was a second coat over the original, but that was because I believed the current colour to be Riviera Blue--a '62 shade--reapplied over a later light blue to take the car back to original. Which I now know is not the case. Apart from anything else Riviera was much lighter than this.

One spot in particular--the tip of a drip molding--cracks the case: it has, for whatever reason, been sanded down to the metal, and all the layers are visible: the mid-blue on top; primer; the lighter metallic shade; more primer; then oxidized bare metal (looking like bronze). Meaning there is no other colour coat under the light blue, and thus those chips in the paint reveal P6218 Metallic Blue. To my eye it's a metallic sky-blue with a hint of green in it, rather like a bluer, paler variant of Avanti turquoise. Now, how to match it (preferably, for convenience' sake, to something modern)? Stay tuned.

Incidentally, Bob Barrick of the SDC Hamilton Chapter saw my Lark firsthand on Sunday and agreed that the colour Betty wears now, although a bit faded, is the same shade his own '60 Lark two-door (now with a different owner) wore: 1960 Gulfstream Blue. Haven't the faintest how a '62 ended up wearing a '60 colour; presumably a previous owner saw Gulfstream Blue on an earlier car and just liked its looks...at any rate the paintjob was very comprehensive, all the interior metalwork is Gulfstream also and smooth as glass to boot. I almost hate to contemplate changing it back...

S.

Comment

Hi all--

Well, I think I've found what P6218 Metallic Blue looks like. Was applying polish to Betty the '62 Lark and took a hard look at the two or three chips that reveal an earlier, somewhat paler, and metallic coat of paint beneath. I had thought that colour was a second coat over the original, but that was because I believed the current colour to be Riviera Blue--a '62 shade--reapplied over a later light blue to take the car back to original. Which I now know is not the case. Apart from anything else Riviera was much lighter than this.

One spot in particular--the tip of a drip molding--cracks the case: it has, for whatever reason, been sanded down to the metal, and all the layers are visible: the mid-blue on top; primer; the lighter metallic shade; more primer; then oxidized bare metal (looking like bronze). Meaning there is no other colour coat under the light blue, and thus those chips in the paint reveal P6218 Metallic Blue. To my eye it's a metallic sky-blue with a hint of green in it, rather like a bluer, paler variant of Avanti turquoise. Now, how to match it (preferably, for convenience' sake, to something modern)? Stay tuned.

Incidentally, Bob Barrick of the SDC Hamilton Chapter saw my Lark firsthand on Sunday and agreed that the colour Betty wears now, although a bit faded, is the same shade his own '60 Lark two-door (now with a different owner) wore: 1960 Gulfstream Blue. Haven't the faintest how a '62 ended up wearing a '60 colour; presumably a previous owner saw Gulfstream Blue on an earlier car and just liked its looks...at any rate the paintjob was very comprehensive, all the interior metalwork is Gulfstream also and smooth as glass to boot. I almost hate to contemplate changing it back...

S.
              Now that I think about it, I do remember a low mileage '62 Lark Regal that was for sale in Edmonton in 1978 that was Metallic Blue. It still had a Canada Track & Traffic magazne 'Car of the Year' sticker in the back window. It was a medium shade of blue, and didn't have any 'green' in it at all. It may still be up in the Edmonton area as far as I know. I would carefully romove one of your front door panels, and see what color lurks under it. That would no doubt be one spot for a 'perfect match' as it would have been covered since 1962!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X