Business opportunity = = studebaker glass & rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business opportunity = = studebaker glass & rubber

After 44 years of providing and reproducing Studebaker glass, we've decided to downsize and dedicate some time in service to our church, thus we are presenting for sale our business, Studebaker Glass & Rubber. Starting in the spring of 1975 with the reproduction of C/K windshields and now supplying windshield, back glass, side glass and rubber weather seals for practically every Studebaker produced from the mid '30s to end of production, this is a growing opportunity for the person of persons looking for a future as a Studebaker vendor. This should be considered a "turnkey" business opportunity with established vendors and customers. Serious inquiries only, please. For details, please call, email or text me at 208 390-6306. Russ Jenks studebakerglass@hotmail.com Website: www.studebakerglass.com
    Russ Jenks
    Idaho Falls, ID
    \'62 GT Hawk
    \'64 GT Super Hawk
    \'60 Champ (2)

Say it isn't so Russ! We will seriously MISS you!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I first met Russ a few years back at a Studebaker meet in Post Falls, Idaho. He is a great gentleman so naturally when it came time for me to purchase glass, he was my only choice. As simply an endorsement, Russ supplied all of the glass for my '57 Clipper Wagon. It fit perfectly and looks great, just like 1957.
      I wish you well with finding a suitable purchaser to carry on your legacy.
      Cheers, Bill

Comment

Wow!!! I’m not knowledgeable (or articulate) enough to comprehend all this could involve in a practical business sense. I don’t know how much you care to (or can) divulge here on the open forum, but my curiosity leads to many questions. For instance...the extent of your business? Physical property? Number of employees? Are you a manufacturer, or reseller? Do you contract with manufacturers to produce the products? If so, do you own the molds, extrusion dies, or any proprietary equipment required to produce the products at their manufacturing facility? Do you have contractual agreements with manufacturers and wholesale resellers? Is your inventory measured in tonnage, volume, or????

If a prospective purchaser were to need to relocate the business...how practical would this be? Would you be available to cooperate as a consultant/advisor to facilitate a period of operational transition to new management?

I’m sure there are many other questions, but these quickly came to mind. If I were younger, this would be a very intriguing proposition...especially if I could see an opportunity to expand the customer base beyond its current Studebaker focus.

I'm vaguely familiar with the large supplier https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...RzpvhFDd0-kuZJ but unless something has changed...their specific Studebaker items are limited.

Regardless, I respect your stated reason for refocusing your time & efforts, wish only the best for you and would like to thank you for your contributions to the longevity and availability of supplies to the Studebaker experience.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

An effort to answer your questions: We have one (1) employee and he is me. It keeps me busy 5 days a week. I've shipped glass & rubber to every continent on the planet and 50 US states. Most of our product is produced overseas but is of top quality and fit is flawless. We also manufacture here glass and some rubber products that are not available from common vendors. We have spent years finding suppliers of rubber products and receive discounts from them. So, we are both a manufacturer and reseller. Our library of flat glass patterns for vehicles of all makes span from the late 1930 to the early 70's and we have sources for earlier patterns. Although we don't promote it, we also sell factory manufactured reproduction glass for Ford, GM, MOPAR, and the common orphans, including curved side glass, windshields and backs. Some of the manufactured Stude glass is exclusive. I can discuss cost of product and margins privately. Physical property includes the patterns and a lean/moving inventory. No proprietary equipment as we contract out the glass cutting and tempering. I expect to act as a consultant to the degree it would be feasible. This as we will be going to Germany for 18 months later this year. It is not my desire to butcher a hog in this sale, but to make a smooth transition that would assure continued/consistent service to my present customers and allow me some financial comfort in my gray haired days. If I were younger, I would be expanding to provide glass to the Brand X cars that I have never been personally interested in (Studes forever!) but understand. I could show a path forward on such a project to a future owner of Studebaker Glass & Rubber. Other questions or comments: fire away!
          Russ Jenks
          Idaho Falls, ID
          \'62 GT Hawk
          \'64 GT Super Hawk
          \'60 Champ (2)

Comment

Still available. Have a few nibbles but the clock still ticks. Happy to discuss with anyone who would consider themselves interested. Easy down payment and very reasonable terms. Perhaps I would assume a minority ownership and serve as a consulting partner, or...? Must sell it or close it by October 15th.
            Russ Jenks
            Idaho Falls, ID
            \'62 GT Hawk
            \'64 GT Super Hawk
            \'60 Champ (2)

Comment

Russ, have you considered putting an ad in Turning Wheels? You might get some additional exposure among club members who don't visit the forum.

Comment

The obvious match would be Studebaker International, Steve Allen's or one of the other major Studebaker parts suppliers. It would also make a nice complementing business to the folks at Starliner Studebaker Interiors. Surprised they have not expressed interest or maybe they have. Anyway best of luck and I hope someone takes on this business and continues to make these hard to find parts available

Comment

I have an update on the sale of Studebaker & Glass. Russ and I have put together a deal, that will be completed next week. My wife and myself will be the new owners, and we are excited to be able to carry on the business, and great service that Russ provided. The web site will be updated next week, with new contact information, and we should be set up to process orders by the 18th of Oct. Thanks for your patience, while we move inventory, and set things up in their new home in Elko NV.

Comment

Good to hear Tom! Glad to see the business will carry on.
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                      I have an update on the sale of Studebaker & Glass. Russ and I have put together a deal, that will be completed next week. My wife and myself will be the new owners, and we are excited to be able to carry on the business, and great service that Russ provided. The web site will be updated next week, with new contact information, and we should be set up to process orders by the 18th of Oct. Thanks for your patience, while we move inventory, and set things up in their new home in Elko NV.
                      While I'm not currently in the market for new or replacement glass, this is very encouraging news! As we know, it is sometimes discouraging to consider risking our precious vintage vehicles by exposing them to traffic full of disinterested, distracted texting, or doped up drivers.

From the earliest days of my Studebaker journey, I have heard the question, "Where do you get parts?" And, even if you provide an answer...many of those who ask the question, exhibit disbelief, change the subject, or roll their eyes, as if they don't believe you.

It is the very knowledge that we still have dedicated vendors available that gives me the courage and confidence to continue venturing out to the highways & byways with my Studebakers!

So...Cheers to you, and I wish you all the best!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Tom, the next time I go through Elko I will give you a call and stop by.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Thanks, all. I hated to see the business go by the wayside, and Russ treated me very well on the purchase. Initially, we will get things up and running, much as they were, then our hope is that we can make some additions to what we will offer.

Comment

That is excellent news! Very glad that the business will carry on.
                            Mike Davis
                            Regional Manager, North Carolina
                            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Tom— Can you post on this string your business contact information? I am currently in need of a ‘62 Lark w/s gasket, Wagonaire side window gaskets, and a C/K w/s gasket. Oh— and Avanti window gaskets as well...
                              1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                              1951 Champion Business Coupe
                              1951 Commander Starlight
                              1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                              1953 Champion Starlight
                              1953 Commander Starliner
                              1953 2R5
                              1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                              1957 Silver Hawk
                              1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                              1959 Silver Hawk
                              1961 Hawk