The 31 Studebaker Indy Car Is Sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 31 Studebaker Indy Car Is Sold

It grieves me to share this but the Indy Car will not be coming home to South bend. It just within the last 15 minutes crossed the auction block and was sold to a phone bidder for $1,000,000 plus buyers premium of $105,000 totaling a world record price of a Studebaker of $1,105,000.

On behalf of the Museum's Board of trustees, I want to THANK all SDC members and Chapters who pledged to the Museum's efforts to bring this car home to South bend. Your efforts added in excess of $!20,000 to the Museum's efforts to purchase this car. At this point, since it was a phone buyer, the buyer is unknown. I am sure that Pat and Andy will do all they can to determine just who the buyer was..

Hopefully there will be an opportunity at some point in the future to place this historic car on display in the Studebaker National Museum.

Again THANK YOU all for your support.

Don Jones
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Well, that sucks.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Am I the only one who is holding out hope (however unlikely) that the winning bidder will choose to display the car at the SNM indefinitely? One can dream, right?
      ~Matt Connor
      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Wouldn't it be fun to be the winning bidder...and then hand the keys over to the museum. So many cool things I could do with a million bucks.
        Fosco
        Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

Comment

Was at a private car collection yesterday at the Syracuse zone meet and the owner was at Pebble Beach for the auction ....I hope he bought it ....he uses his cars
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for the information, but I was looking forward to paying my pledge to bring this significant Studebaker home. Wow, over $1.1 million! Perhaps this will add to the Studebaker cache?!

Comment

I honestly would love to see this car, but I also would hate to see it all locked up in a museum and never used again. I would like to think the new owner will actually enter historic races in this wonderful race car. I know it is a significant part of not only Studebaker history, but the history of American race cars. I know that for most of the world including us, racing an irreplaceable million dollar automobile seems a waste. But I think the car should be used in the manner it was designed for.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thank you, Joe.

This is how #37 and the other Studebaker Indy cars should be seen and heard:
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnJQpxaAck
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Joe, there was a plan not to lock away the car in the Museum forever. It was to be designated in a special class in the museum's invenrtory so that it could appear at vintage racing events and other places. Yes, Gary it would have sounded like your you tube video as well. Again Thanks to all who pledged.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Posted on Yahoo news this morning. At least they could have included a picture.
                    https://www.yahoo.com/news/1931-stud...014419023.html
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      Posted on Yahoo news this morning. At least they could have included a picture.l
                      This should get you where you want to go.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...ecial-indy-car

Bob
                      , ,

Comment

Working...
                      X