63 wagon identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 wagon identification

Can anyone tell me if a non sliding roof 63 is common. Just bought one has fixed roof and third seat Hope to get it home tomorrow and will find out what I bought.

The fixed-roof wagon was a mid-year introduction, but I don't think they are all that uncommon. Is this the one you just bought? https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....on-Fixed-Roof)

Someone would have to go through all the Production Orders at the Archives to get a true count of how many were fixed-roof models.

Craig

Comment

Yes that is the car. Don’t usually do this but I bought it over the phone and have not seen in person. I just liked it and thought I better get it

Comment

Welcome the the SDC and to the SDC Forum Dave!

I am sure you know compared to the "Big Three Makes" ALL Studebakers are "Rare".

But among Studebakers and Studebaker Owners/Studebaker Drivers Club Members only a certain few, VERY rare Cars and Trucks actually are!

The '63 to '66 Wagons (non-sliding roof) and sliding roof Wagonaire's are not as common as 4 Door Sedans or even 2 Door Hardtops, and there were way less Fixed Roof Wagons built, so I guess the answer is NO, they are not common.

Does that mean they are more valuable and more desirable to the MAJORITY? Not really.

What is quite unusual is having a third seat option but no headroom for entry, the few that were sold, were almost always on Wagonaire's, NOT Wagons.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-16-2019, 11:56 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Whilst it'd be nice if Studebakers were valued at $$$$ most of us couldn't afford to buy one.

I'll hopefully get one in a few years, if not, at least I can happily recall my 62 lark regal and 66 Daytona sport sedan. Lovely cars, happy motoring with your wagon.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Wasjunk View Post
            Can anyone tell me if a non sliding roof 63 is common. Just bought one has fixed roof and third seat Hope to get it home tomorrow and will find out what I bought.
            "Common" is sort of a relative term. Most 1963 wagons that I am familiar with were Wagonaires, but I have seen other fixed roof wagons. Up to this one, I have never seen a fixed roof wagon with a third seat option.

There were only 11,915 1963 wagons of all configurations and series built. And that was the highest wagon production after 1960.

EDIT: I would be interested in seeing the production order for this wagon.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rich,

Just asking, cus I don't know. You indicated that production for the fixed roof wagon was less then that of the two door htp. The only number that I can come up with is 3763 Daytona htps, so what was the production on the non-Daytona two door htps?-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                Rich,

Just asking, cus I don't know. You indicated that production for the fixed roof wagon was less then that of the two door htp. The only number that I can come up with is 3763 Daytona htps, so what was the production on the non-Daytona two door htps?-Bill
                Not Rich - There is no such thing as a "non-Daytona two door htps". All 1963 hardtops were Daytonas (except Hawks, of course).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  Rich, Just asking, cus I don't know. You indicated that production for the fixed roof wagon was less then that of the two door htp. The only number that I can come up with is 3763 Daytona htps, so what was the production on the non-Daytona two door htps?-Bill
                  See Post #2 Bill.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Gary, I will post more about this car when I get it in my shop. I will send for production order and will share it with all as I am interested also

Comment

Thank you gentleman, I couldn't remember see any non Dayton htps just couldn't remember. So maybe the number of fixed roof 63 wagons my not be more rare then the 2dr htps.

Comment

Well actually Bill, there WERE 1962 Lark Regal 2 Dr. Hardtops and Convertibles!

But Gary and all of us were talking about 1963's.

That is THE ONLY Year I know of that a Hardtop or a Convertible actually came in a lower than TOP of Line Model.
                        Most other makes were the same.

However this was during the Time that Ford had their BUCKET SEAT Galaxie 500 Convertible & Hardtop and Chev. had their Impala SS BUCKET Seat Convertible & Hardtop. Still the same Line, just with the added sub-Model attached.

So not to be outdone, Studebaker built Regal trim levels and Daytona's, just that ONE 1 st. Year for Bucket Seat Larks.
                        It included the simulated Walnut dash Trim, Bucket Seats, Console and the Daytona Body Side Trim.

The Regal's had the Standard bench seats, split bottom or solid.

This one has the "Daytona" Moulding.
                        Note: Just noticed, my Son Dave's Green '65 Cruiser at La Palma Park Anaheim, CA OEC, SDC Car Show.

Actually, those Fixed Roof '63 Wagons ARE more rare than Hardtops, Wagonaires, 2 Door Sedans, 4 Door Sedans, Cruisers, Convertibles, Hawks, Champs, Transtars, Avantis, Zip Vans and 6X6 Trucks, what did I leave out, Clarke Floor Sweepers, cans of "Studebaker Corp." labeled STP?

But, as I said in Post #4:
                        Does that mean they are more valuable and or more desirable to the MAJORITY? Not really.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-18-2019, 12:53 AM.
                        StudeRich

Comment

The wagon is supposed to be delivered in the morning. The vin is 63V31231 I believe it is late in production but not sure what the end 63 numbers are. I have ordered the build sheet from the museum but it must take some time to receive as website say 4 to 6 weeks Dave
                          Last edited by Wasjunk; 08-19-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasjunk View Post
                            The wagon is supposed to be delivered in the morning. The vin is 63V31231 I believe it is late in production but not sure what the end 63 numbers are. I have ordered the build sheet from the museum but it must take some time to receive as website say 4 to 6 weeks Dave
                            The number that I have for the last South Bend built 1963 V8 Lark/Hawk car is 63V37264.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks Gary Its not as late as I thought. I will be patient and wait for production order

Comment

Working...
                              X