1963 NY Autoshow Halibrand wheels photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 NY Autoshow Halibrand wheels photo

I just saw this photo of a white Lark at the 1963 New York auto show. It has knockoff halibrand wheels on it. Does anyone have any more info about this car and why it has those wheels on it? I know dealers offered the bolt on type Halibrand wheels, but could you also get these? Or was it just for show?

Photo:

https://studebakerarchives.photoshel...0005vACCkkvEAc

The wheels in the photo are bolt on wheels with a fake knock-off center. Motor Trend magazine featured a cover shot of a GT Hawk with the same wheels in 1963 as well as photos in the magazine testing the car.

Bob Caser
    mrbobinc

Comment

Nels has a set on his 1963 G.T. Hawk:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Dragone View Post
        I just saw this photo of a white Lark at the 1963 New York auto show. It has knockoff halibrand wheels on it. Does anyone have any more info about this car and why it has those wheels on it? I know dealers offered the bolt on type Halibrand wheels, but could you also get these? Or was it just for show?

Photo:

https://studebakerarchives.photoshel...0005vACCkkvEAc
        George Krem knows all about this specific car, Alex. I'll alert him to your inquiry. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Alex, the photograph you refer to in your post is one of several similar ones that the Studebaker National Museum has in their archives. I used that particular photo as the lead photo in my Turning Wheels article entitled "Super Lark Number One At The 1963 New York Auto Show". It was published in the May 2012 issue of TW; the photo is on page 6. If it helps to find that issue, there's a turquoise Avanti on the cover. The last time I checked, back issues were available...

My article tells the story of how the first Super Lark (an R2/4-speed) was used early in its life. Those Halibrand wheels were not installed on any Studebakers on the assembly line; Studebaker installed them for publicity purposes. Later, a different style of Halibrand was supposed to be a dealer option. Does anyone know of a dealer who actually sold any?

Best,

George
          george krem

Comment

Alex, I have a set of re-pops that were put on by the previous owner of our car, they are pretty close to original looking except for the American Racing logo.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
              Does anyone know of a dealer who actually sold any?
              I believe Bert Needham in Australia ordered a set or more through his dealership: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....librand-Hunter

Craig

Comment

I hope he doesn't mind but Ed George has PS Engineering wheels on his R3 powered Avanti. He had a local foundry cast the spinners.

http://www.psvintagewheels.com/products.html
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 08-16-2019, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  I believe Bert Needham in Australia ordered a set or more through his dealership: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....librand-Hunter

Craig
                  That is correct. Bert had a set fitted to his Strato Blue non-package R2 4 speed Cruiser which he ordered while visiting the South Bend factory. This may be the only factory RHC R-series car ever built. I believe that particular set of Halibrands is now with Greg Diffen in the UK.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                    That is correct. Bert had a set fitted to his Strato Blue non-package R2 4 speed Cruiser which he ordered while visiting the South Bend factory. This may be the only factory RHC R-series car ever built. I believe that particular set of Halibrands is now with Greg Diffen in the UK.

Chris.
                    The wheels in question were in the possession of Greg Diffen, but were later shipped to the USA and are on a local owners daily driver.

nyautoshowhalibrands.jpg
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

These type of Halibrand wheels were a dealer installed option that some dealers advertised, in addtion to Halibrand Wheels themselves.
                      Attached Files
                      Lew Schucart
                      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
                        These type of Halibrand wheels were a dealer installed option that some dealers advertised, in addtion to Halibrand Wheels themselves.
                        That $287.50 in 1964 dollars would be $2362.32 in 2019 dollars.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X