Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get another Studebaker metal plate with the serial # on it? Mine is trashed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get another Studebaker metal plate with the serial # on it? Mine is trashed...

When I bought my '49 2R5 a couple of weeks ago this metal plate was taped to the inside of the glove box door which is obviously not the original location. The guy I bought the truck from put it there because it was in very poor condition and he was afraid it would fall off and be lost forever. Is there someplace where I can get a duplicate and mount it in the correct location? (By the way, what is the correct location?) I found a guy on eBay who makes them but I figured I should check with you guys first. It measures approx. 5" x 1.75". Thanks in advance....
    Attached Files
    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Studebaker of Australia makes reproduction serial number plates for later models as seen here https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....t+serial+plate

I am not sure if they make them for your model or not, but it's worth contacting them.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Most of those New Fake Serial Number Plates are for newer CARS, some are only Decals, make sure to match your Truck Design.
      Of course all the embossed Data will be blank and will need engraving once you look up the correct Data.

Actually you would be better off straightening that one, and using Body Fuser to permanently bond it on the Cab.
      It is not pretty, but totally readable.

It does matter whether you have it currently Titled & Licensed in your State or not.

If that is not done yet whichever way you go, it MAY be questioned by Vehicle Licensing and or Law Enforcement and depending on the State, you may have to register it with a State issued Fake I.D. (VIN Number).

Not having the Original Serial number on the Title, devalues any Vehicle.

49_2TonChassis6.jpg This is the Inside "Running Board" at the Left rear, the I.D. Plate on the "B" Pillar is the Body Tag only, the Serial Number Plate is on the Seat Riser in Black.

This Pic can be clicked 1 to 3 Times to enlarge.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-07-2019, 07:37 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 50Champ View Post
        (By the way, what is the correct location?)
        I believe these were mounted on the left side of the seat riser, just as you open the drivers door. But I've never owned a truck, so I don't know if the location varied from model to model.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Most of those New Fake Serial Number Plates are for newer CARS, some are only Decals, make sure to match your Truck Design.
          Of course all the embossed Data will be blank and will need engraving once you look up the correct Data.

Actually you would be better off straightening that one, and using Body Fuser to permanently bond it on the Cab.
          It is not pretty, but totally readable.

It does matter whether you have it currently Titled & Licensed in your State or not.

If that is not done yet whichever way you go, it MAY be questioned by Vehicle Licensing and or Law Enforcement and depending on the State, you may have to register it with a State issued Fake I.D. (VIN Number).

Not having the Original Serial number on the Title, devalues any Vehicle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83123[/ATTACH] This is the Inside "Running Board" at the Left rear, the I.D. Plate on the "B" Pillar is the Body Tag only, the Serial Number Plate is on the Seat Riser in Black.

This Pic can be clicked 1 to 3 Times to enlarge.
          It is currently titled and licensed in Kentucky and the serial number is on the title. The guy on eBay charges $33 including shipping plus an additional $25 to engrave it but it looks different than the one I have now (see pic below). Will that make a difference? It appears to be the same size as my damaged one. Thanks for the info and pic....
          Attached Files

Comment

It says Model M5 so that plate must have been intended for a '41 to '48 "M" Series Truck instead of an "R" Series, but it is close and not many would know the difference.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-07-2019, 10:35 PM.
            StudeRich

Comment

You can have one made https://www.nostalgicreflections.com/auto1.html it looks like they do a good work and can make about any type of name plate or emblem but their services are not cheap!

Comment

About a year ago I communicated with the gentleman in Australia who was reproducing the serial number plates. He said that there had been such a negative push back by people, who were worried about nefarious activity, because of forged plates, that he had decided that he didn't want to continue with the project. So if nothing has changed you are out of luck.

Richard Bloomquist of "White Glove" automotive in Wisconsin was providing the service for all the pre-war owners, but sadly he passed away in 2017. You might get some contact information for his son. There may be a chance for some help there.

Comment

Studebaker is on Page 6 of Nostalgic Reflections Webpage.

They have some incredibly beautiful reproduction items.
                  THAT kind of U.S. Made Quality is worth whatever it costs.

If '50's and '60's Stude. Car and Truck owners sent them the items MOST of us need, in original samples, I'll bet they could make ANYTHING.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 08-07-2019, 10:58 PM.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Studebaker of Australia no longer exists, as far as I know Matt Pettigrew has the stock, as for Chris Skinner???

Was told this a couple of weeks ago by a Queensland couple visiting Christchurch.
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      It says Model M5 so that plate must have been intended for a '41 to '48 "M" Series Truck instead of an "R" Series, but it is close and not many would know the difference.
                      I ordered it this morning. With tax, shipping and engraving it was right at $65 which seems reasonable. The seller has been around since 2001 and has over 26k positive feedbacks and is nearby in Indiana. I'll post a pic of it here when it arrives. Thanks again....

Comment

I bought a blank plate and stamped in the number for my CE. The original plate is lost but the number is stamped on the frame. I figured if there was a nice appropriate looking plate the policeman would think...ok. It worked fine.

If anybody questions it I will say it is the right number but a replacement plate and invite them to look at the frame.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I got the plate today and put it on the truck. I am very happy with the quality and fast service of this seller (world-graphix in Indiana). I ordered it and paid via PayPal on Thursday morning, he shipped it that afternoon and I received it this (Saturday) morning in the mail. I took some pics of the other plate down there and was wondering if someone could decipher it for me. What color was the truck originally? It's pretty hard to read so I took a pic of the back of it too. You can barely see this plate on the right of pic #2 since it's been painted red like the rest of the truck. Thanks in advance....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 50Champ; 08-10-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

C2 means standard cab (deluxe cabs weren't available on 2R trucks anyway). The cab number has no significance. Since cabs were not used in sequential order, cab numbers were used to help dealers keep track of running changes to the cab. The break points are listed in the parts book. The trim number indicates the color of brown or tan that was used inside the cab. I can't read the paint color, but if you can provide it, I might be able to tell you the name of the original color.
                            Last edited by Skip Lackie; 08-11-2019, 04:26 PM.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                              I can't read the paint color, but if you can provide it, I might be able to tell you the name of the original color.
                              I think the paint color is a 2. What color would that be? And what would cause the hole in the upper left part of it? Thanks for the other info....

Comment

Working...
                              X