No announcement yet.

Got my new Sky Hawk home yesterday. 7-27-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every time I see a discussion about Sky Hawks I get sadder and sadder. Why did I ever sell the rust free, original single color paint, three-speed overdrive Sky Hawk that I bought and tucked away? Then decided I had too many other cars to work on. It ran well, but needed brakes and a few other things that would keep it off the road. I had bought it in Asheville, NC and flat towed it back to eastern WV.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      One thing that is entirely missing is the Lower Air Intake Panel with the brackets that hold the hood latch.
      It does look very original and nearly complete. An excellent starting point. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the correct mirrors for the doors either?

Mark
      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
        Every time I see a discussion about Sky Hawks I get sadder and sadder. Why did I ever sell the rust free, original single color paint, three-speed overdrive Sky Hawk that I bought and tucked away? Then decided I had too many other cars to work on. It ran well, but needed brakes and a few other things that would keep it off the road. I had bought it in Asheville, NC and flat towed it back to eastern WV.
        Dang it, Paul, you're making me feel bad for the Sky Hawk opportunities I've missed (several of them over the years). I'm envious of rockne10.
        -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          One thing that is entirely missing is the Lower Air Intake Panel with the brackets that hold the hood latch. [ATTACH=CONFIG]82850[/ATTACH] This is on my critical shopping list if anyone has part # 1312083p in their inventory. [ATTACH=CONFIG]82851[/ATTACH]

It does have red heater hoses. [ATTACH=CONFIG]82847[/ATTACH] That might have been a deal breaker.

Normal rust on front fenders is worse on the drivers side, and what I would consider repairable without commercial panels. [ATTACH=CONFIG]82848[/ATTACH]

Small fiberglass repairs were done years ago, and should be easy to address.
          What's very odd is the front outer fenders have rivets along their entire seams, but show no other evidence of ever having been replaced or of any spot welds removed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]82849[/ATTACH] This seems strange.
          I have a friend here in the Seattle area that has the lower air dam and latch assembly available. PM if interested. —Kenny
          1950 Commander Land Cruiser
          1951 Champion Business Coupe
          1951 Commander Starlight
          1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
          1953 Champion Starlight
          1953 Commander Starliner
          1953 2R5
          1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
          1957 Silver Hawk
          1957 3E5 Pick-Up
          1959 Silver Hawk
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Cruiser 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
          1965 Cruiser
          1970 Avanti

Comment

If you've never driven one before you may be surprised to earn that the BW trans starts in second gear. If you want a faster takeoff you have to put it in the L gear and manually upshift. That shouldn't be necessary as the car has plenty of torque and you will be amazed as it pulls smoothly away w at 15mph or less without downshifting. My car has been overbored to 0.60 and it has plenty of power.
            peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
              ... you may be surprised to earn that the BW trans starts in second gear.
              I know, Peter. I've been driving a DG200 for 43 years. Both my '51 Starlight and '53 Starlight are so equipped.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by 64gran turismo View Post
                I have a air intake panel that I took out of my 64 hawk.
                Jerry, check you private messages.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Is it done yet? What's taking so long?
                  peter lee

Comment

Most Skyhawks used the Flightomatic not the DG250.
                    Studebaker used up some Detroit Gear transmissions on early 1956 Studebakers ,but I believe that those were used on the Presidents.
                    A quick check if you car has A Detroit Gear or Flightomatic is to check if the access cover to check the transmission oil level is on top of the transmission hump or on the passenger side.The Detroit Gear transmission access cover is on top.
                    You are lucky if it has the extremely well designed Detroit Gear transmission even though it is very difficult to find someone to service those transmissions.
                    Improper service and lack of the proper tools and service info gave these transmissions a bad name.
                    Last edited by rkapteyn; 08-01-2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                      Is it done yet? What's taking so long?

First things first, Jerry.
                      This car has apparently passed through three estates now since it was last registered, probably in 1973, per its most recent safety inspection.
                      In the interim the title had been purged in the Department of Transportation files, and I had to petition the court to direct the issuance of a title.
                      It took a few weeks to get on the court docket. But legal ownership has been granted and money can now begin to trickle out of my monthly SSI income.
                      Attached Files

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

I approve of the Sky Hawk because I find it to be a more tasteful design without all of the chrome gubbins that the Golden Hawk has. What is your goal with this one? Full restoration? Hot rod? Gasser? A simple driver-quality job? Spill the beans, please!
                        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

A year or so after I got mine fresh from a full restoration I contacted a company in San Diego which will tell you how many of a certain car model are registered. According to them, as of about ten years ago there were 66 in the country and a handful in my state of New York. If you extrapolate that to include the rest of the world we can still safely estimate that the total is still under a hundred. My car is Glenwood Green and Seaside green and is a real attention-getter at shows and even locally. The engine has recently been re-built and the car is equipped with low-restriction mufflers (not loud glasspacks) and it emits the most delightful low-tone burble which warms the cockles (whatever they are) of this old man's heart. I cruise the back roads of Long Island's Hamptons and the rest of the world ceases to exist. The only car I would buy if I sold this would be an Avanti. Good luck and happy motoring!
                          peter lee

Comment

Brad, glad to see that the Hawk is now safely in your hands. I can imagine what it will ook like in a year or so.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                              . What is your goal with this one? Full restoration? Hot rod? Gasser? A simple driver-quality job?
                              A Sky Hawk needs no modifications to be better than it was.
                              I can't farm it out to professionals so, first priority will be to make it safely operable, without regard to appearance. For my own peace of mind it will have to pass a thorough Pennsylvania Safety Inspection. Beyond that, it will have to run cleanly and efficiently, with everything functioning as it did when it left the factory.
                              If there is any time left after that, I will work on the appearance.
                              Regardless of how far I get, when the time comes for it to pass to someone else, I will have improved it without damaging it.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Congrats on that find!

It sounds like the SkyHawk is many member's favourite - and all Studebaker Hawks are beautiful! And, yes it's my favourite, too.

There are VERY few here in Canada.
                                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                                X