Name:	P7280287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1760883 Click image for larger version

Name:	00F0F_Tdx5a4sxHd_1200x900.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1760884

For the moment it has displaced my '51 Starlight in the garage.

Purchased from a estate with a title that had been purged from Pennsylvania's system some twenty years ago. But we'll get that straightened out.
    The engine was rebuilt shortly before it was parked, and turns freely with the starter. Carpet is missing, which is probably just as well, since it would have retained moisture and humidity.
    Torque boxes appear all intact, if not as thick as when new. But there was no flex when loading on the trailer and the doors open and close strong with no sagging.
    All windows go up and down like they were installed yesterday; fit well and seal against top flippers that work.

And the executor threw in a 26" MTD dual-action electric start snow blower, which I've needed for 34 years.

And now the fun begins.
    Last edited by rockne10; 07-28-2019, 03:58 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

One thing that is entirely missing is the Lower Air Intake Panel with the brackets that hold the hood latch. Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280276.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1728965 This is on my critical shopping list if anyone has part # 1312083p in their inventory. Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1728966

It does have red heater hoses. Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280279.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1728962 That might have been a deal breaker.

Normal rust on front fenders is worse on the drivers side, and what I would consider repairable without commercial panels. Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280289.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1728963

Small fiberglass repairs were done years ago, and should be easy to address.
    What's very odd is the front outer fenders have rivets along their entire seams, but show no other evidence of ever having been replaced or of any spot welds removed. Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280290.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1728964 This seems strange.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Congrats on taking on one of the best-looking, best-driving cars Studebaker ever built.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

It looks like it found a good home.

Comment

GREAT Score! A '56 Sky Hawk is THE BEST Hawk built, or "one of" the best at least, I always preferred them to GH's.

Also, probably THE rarest Hawk of the "Flock", few were sold and fewer are left.

That appears to be an Original SW distributor drive Tach, that would be rare in an Automatic Sky Hawk.

We have some good used Stainless Rear Fender top Mouldings in stock, if you do not have 2 good ones. That looks like a pair in the trunk, but are they OK?

It looks like a Snowcap White with Sunglow Gold Lower Trim accent Color.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-28-2019, 05:02 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

WELCOME to the Sky Hawk "club"...the best looking of all the Hawks

Comment

My favorite Hawk of them all. Congratulations!
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                WELCOME to the Sky Hawk "club"...the best looking of all the Hawks
                I will second that opinion. That is among the last of Bob Bourke's work at Studebaker.

I see that you have most of the trim, including the "check mark" pieces. You also have at least one wheelcover that is ten model years newer than the Hawk, even though it has a Hawk on it. The windows and their alignment look very good.

I believe that those front fenders have been replaced at some point.

I would think that missing front piece is probably around someplace. The car wasn't driven without it. How about you, and perhaps the Executor, searching the building(s)? It might be easier to find the car's missing piece than to locate a replacement.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Looks like a good start to a nice car to me. Thanks for buying it. Saved me the temptation.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Thanks for buying it. Saved me the temptation.
                    You've still got forty years more energy left than I do.
                    Never say never.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    We have some good used Stainless Rear Fender top Mouldings in stock, if you do not have 2 good ones. That looks like a pair in the trunk, but are they OK?

It looks like a Snowcap White with Sunglow Gold Lower Trim accent Color.
                    Thanks, Rich. There are some dings on the rear fender mouldings but I've straightened and restored others in the past. Pretty good condition overall.
                    Your colors are correct and, while the whole car has seen a repaint decades ago, I can't find anything indicating the color was changed from original. I have ordered the build sheet just to confirm original configurations.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    You also have at least one wheelcover that is ten model years newer than the Hawk, even though it has a Hawk on it. ... How about you, and perhaps the Executor, searching the building(s)? It might be easier to find the car's missing piece than to locate a replacement.
                    Two of the later wheel covers and four correct ones.
                    Papers included with the car indicate the air deflector was absent when purchased from the prior owner twenty years ago. That might explain why the deceased only drove it from his house to the barn and back over two decades.
                    Last edited by rockne10; 07-28-2019, 08:11 PM.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

I have a air intake panel that I took out of my 64 hawk.I will send you some pictures, its like new.
                      It is the same part #so it should fit your 56, but i do not know for sure.
                      Jerry
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1728984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1728981Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1728982Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1728983Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1728980
                      Last edited by 64gran turismo; 07-29-2019, 02:28 PM. Reason: Added photos

Comment

Brad, I'd like to add my congratulations to all the others on your acquisition of the best looking example of all the Hawks.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

What fun, and such a nice starting point.
                          I hope I do another restoration one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by 64gran turismo View Post
                            I have a air intake panel that I took out of my 64 hawk.I will send you some pictures, its like new.
                            It is the same part #so it should fit your 56,
                            Jerry
                            Appreciate that, Jerry.
                            I can't find my '59-'64 Chassis Catalog, so couldn't verify if the GT Hawks used the same intake with the brackets for the hood latch as the '56-'61.
                            A matching part number is verification.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              Appreciate that, Jerry.
                              I can't find my '59-'64 Chassis Catalog, so couldn't verify if the GT Hawks used the same intake with the brackets for the hood latch as the '56-'61.
                              A matching part number is verification.
                              It's the same for all 56-64 Hawks (except the funny lookin' Packard version).

Comment

Working...
                              X