Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    Really a beautiful job, and a whole lot of precision fitting and welding.

In my HO though, the 1850's Conestoga Wagon Wheels may be appropriate for a Conestoga in Name, but in looks not so much.

Leave a comment:

• Cruzzar
    replied
    I had '53 coupe about 20 years ago so when I picked up another one I was looking to do something different so I came up with the idea of making a wagon out of it. I found a suitable donor '55 wagon that was pretty rusty from the belt line down. The B post is from the coupe and it is uncut in height. I did lower the wagon roof about 1 1/4". In doing so I had to slide the roof back on the D post (rear pillar). Since the roof was slid back I also had to move the bottom portion of the C posts which makes the passenger windows longer. The windshield is stock height but laid back because of the shorter roof (wagon is on a 116 1/2" wheelbase and the coupe is 120 1/2"). I had planned on adding a filler piece to the roof to extend it to meet the windshield in its stock angle but because of the little metal detail immediately above the rain gutter that starts at the back window and increases in height as it goes forward. This detail kept made it impossible for me to add the filler because the filler detail would have to be level and not ever increasing in height like the rest of it. The new windshield angle made it impossible to have operational wind wings so I made them stationary (the car has AC) and electric operated side fender vents. I was able to find late model, electric outside mirrors that matched the new windshield angle. Doors have electric windows and the passenger windows still slide back like they originally did. I have not installed the slider handle/latch yet because I am waiting until all the interior upholstery is done. Every piece of interior trim had to be modified (cut/welded) which was just one of the time consuming items that I faced. The car is built on a '63 GT frame (11 guage).

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    That is really impressive. I've been looking forward to seeing it for a long time. What did you use for the rear pillars? They look just like stock pillars. Incredible body work!

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Very nice, looking forward to seeing it on the road. Bob

Leave a comment:

• 55coupe
    replied
    Is there any chance you’ll be ready for the zone meet in Sacramento? I sure hope so can’t wait to see it in person. Very very nice.

Leave a comment:

• 56H-Y6
    replied
    Nice work, always thought fitting the roof from a '60-'61 two door wagon with the thinner top panel and pillars would create one slick 'what if'.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• junior
    replied
    Wow, like I really mean WOW! Can't wait to see the finished product. cheers, junior

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    That's the best looking Stude wagon I have ever seen. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    I agree...and once this thing is on the road...there will be a whole 'nuther explanation why California is SHAKING!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    That's the best looking Stude wagon I have ever seen. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Leave a comment:

• StudeNewby
    replied
    VERY COOL! Is there a gentleman's chop on that roof?

Leave a comment:

• Metman
    replied
    Cruzzar- Fantastic work! I hadn't seen your other reports, so I went back and looked at your progress posts #1- #4. Just awesome! Can't wait to see it done! Did you have any conceptual drawings to go by, or did you just 'go for it'?

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    No 1953 wagons were build.
    1954 was the first year for a wagon.
    Looks like they have taken a C-bodied coupe and are making a wagon out of it.

That looks really cool - must have been a real challenge grafting the wagon roof to the coupe and rear. Would love to hear details.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    No 1953 wagons were build.
    1954 was the first year for a wagon.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Mighty cool indeed!
    (But it would've been even cooler with tires instead of tape, that's my bad taste... )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X