Need a pair of Eyes in So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a pair of Eyes in So Cal

I'm considering the purchase of a '58 President near Riverside. The car seems to be pretty solid, and if talks progress I will need someone to do an inspection for me. My HOPE would be to fly out and drive it back to North Carolina, and it would require some brake work and a tune up at minimum. Before the naysayers chime in, let me say that I KNOW there are risks, yadda yadda. This is an adventure, and I've done this before. That being said, I am always open to good advice.

If you wouldn't mind checking it out for me, please drop me a PM. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by StudeNewby; 07-21-2019, 01:39 PM. Reason: Added info for clarification
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Is it the brown one with the trunk AC?

Comment

That's the one, Kenneth. Are you familiar with it?
      Mike Davis

Comment

Sorry I am not just been watching the listing. Looks like a repaint I'm very leery of buying a repainted car without a personal inspection you just never know what was covered up. I would expect that there is rust under the fins of course the other typical Studebaker rust spots rear of front fenders, rocker panels and bottom of doors are always suspect.

Comment

You're right. Hopefully someone can take a good look at it and give us a full report.
          Mike Davis

Comment

Listed on ebay currently and ends in about 3 hrs bid presently at $3050 with no reserve https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Studeb...fd7e%7Ciid%3A1

Comment

I hadn't seen it there. I found it on Craigslist. Well, there goes that!
              Mike Davis

Comment

Keep a watch sometimes cars sell on ebay and then are relisted. I assume that the buyers changed their mind and did not pay, did not pick up the car or something happened with the sale.

Comment

True enough, but it does look like it's going to sell at a good price. I would ASSUME it will go through, but ya never know!
                  Mike Davis

Comment

As long as that Fin Rust did not indicate more Floor, Rocker Panel, Trunk etc. rust, that is a heck of a Good Deal!

Other than hooking up the A/C, replacing the Driver Door Glass etc. I would just do this:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Coppertone 4 Dr.2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1728883 OR, this Trim Color: Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres HT Coppertone_Beige2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1728884
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The car was listed on the LA Craigslist for the past week or so. I took a look at the rust and decided that was something I don't want to deal with, but for 3 grand it may not be a bad deal for someone who wants to spend the time doing metal work. Bud

Comment

That had been my intention too, Rich. Maybe next time!

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        As long as that Fin Rust did not indicate more Floor, Rocker Panel, Trunk etc. rust, that is a heck of a Good Deal!

Other than hooking up the A/C, replacing the Driver Door Glass etc. I would just do this:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]82691[/ATTACH] OR, this Trim Color: [ATTACH=CONFIG]82693[/ATTACH]
                        Mike Davis

Comment

Working...
                        X