X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52-fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenstude View Post

As an aside, when I started to drive (Sept. 1958), my father had a 1952 Dodge Mayfair 2-door hardtop (Canadian equivalent of a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere). It was the dealer's private car when Dad bought it in Feb. 1953, and had every imaginable option -- EXCEPT direction signals.
    At least back then people knew what hand signals were. Now they would think you were waving or making an angry gesture.

Leave a comment:

• Greenstude
    replied
    When I put correct direction signals on my 1947 Champion, I was surprised to find the following:

1. The outboard lenses of the 2-piece tail lights have the word "direction" cast into the glass. The inboard lenses are marked for tail lights/brake lights.
    2. When I removed the original chrome bars above the grille, I found that the sheet metal underneath has cut-outs to make room for the light bodies on the direction signal chrome bars.
    3. The steering column has cams to cancel the direction signal switch after you turn the corner.

Obviously Studebaker was prepared to sell a lot of direction signals in 1947. I wonder if any other car maker at the time had provided all the above to enable signals.

When I bought the car, the previous owner had crudely set up the front parking lights as direction signals, using the original bulbs. The bulbs were even dimmer than his idea --- invisible in daylight or with the headlights on. There is not room there to install the larger 2-filament bulbs.

As an aside, when I started to drive (Sept. 1958), my father had a 1952 Dodge Mayfair 2-door hardtop (Canadian equivalent of a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere). It was the dealer's private car when Dad bought it in Feb. 1953, and had every imaginable option -- EXCEPT direction signals.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    One can never get too much rest.<G>
    Well...resting can get pretty danged boring...but, GOOFING OFF...is a great alternative!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    All day, every day!
    One can never get too much rest.<G>

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    It is probably a reference to an older slogan.

Wow that's pretty cool, they reached back to 1934 advertising for the clock filler design in 1947.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    All day, every day!
    That's the slogan some of our local restaurants use to advertise their Breakfast Menu!!!

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 07-19-2019, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by dpson View Post
    Studebaker used an interesting Clock filler in the instrument panel in 1947.

To the right is a multi-engine airplane, perhaps like the B17's that they made the engines for in WWII, and near the bottom center what appears to be a open cockpit race car, perhaps in reference to the ones that Studebaker ran at Indianapolis in the 1930's. Nice work that is often overlooked.
    It is probably a reference to an older slogan.

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    Studebaker used an interesting Clock filler in the instrument panel in 1947.

To the right is a multi-engine airplane, perhaps like the B17's that they made the engines for in WWII, and near the bottom center what appears to be a open cockpit race car, perhaps in reference to the ones that Studebaker ran at Indianapolis in the 1930's. Nice work that is often overlooked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1947StudeClockfiller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1728822

Leave a comment:

• unclemiltie
    replied
    47 champion had gold centers, 49 had silver centers, not sure about 48

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Thanks Craig. Since I've learned something this early in the day, I can rest the rest of the day.
    All day, every day!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Yes they did, but turn signals were an option.

Craig
    Thanks Craig. Since I've learned something this early in the day, I can rest the rest of the day.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    That speedometer seems to have turn signal indicators in it. Did Studebaker have those in '47-8-9. I know nothing of those years.
    Yes they did, but turn signals were an option.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    That speedometer seems to have turn signal indicators in it. Did Studebaker have those in '47-8-9. I know nothing of those years.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Now they have to put a 289 in it. The OTHER one!

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Hmnn...Jus wondering...looks like they might have transferred the floor that had rusted away in the old Studebaker too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X