Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    I woulda thought "TRANSAT", or "TRANSOD" would have been better. but maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    The Studebaker part catalogs also show one-word codes for common phrases for dealers to use in the front couple of pages when corresponding via telegram for inquires regarding shipping and availability, etc.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Sample of telegraph message from Studebaker to Ohio dealer in 1950 showing use of the code words.

Click image for larger version

Name:	western union.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1728813

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    As Greenstude mentions these are telegraphic codes. Unfortunately, however, the parts book he mentions does not have a breakdown of these code words by model and transmission. Only for parts orders.
    Specific to your inquiry the "Corsair" is a 1951 Land Cruiser with overdrive transmission. A "Cutter" is a Land Cruiser with Automatic Transmission.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]82541[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82542[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82543[/ATTACH]
    Thanks Richard. That solves the mystery. My has an automatic and the other one has an OD transmission.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Corsair Click image for larger version

Name:	corsair.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1728811 and Cutter Click image for larger version

Name:	cutter.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1728812

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    As Greenstude mentions these are telegraphic codes. Unfortunately, however, the parts book he mentions does not have a breakdown of these code words by model and transmission. Only for parts orders.
    Specific to your inquiry the "Corsair" is a 1951 Land Cruiser with overdrive transmission. A "Cutter" is a Land Cruiser with Automatic Transmission.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	51 composite copy.jpg
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1728801Click image for larger version

Name:	51 access forum.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1728802Click image for larger version

Name:	51wps copy.jpg
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1728803

Leave a comment:

• Greenstude
    replied
    "Cutter" and "Corsair" look like codes used in telegrams to replace longer sentences, or to indicate particular information about the car or shipping. The parts catalogue for your car may have a page near the front which de-codes the words.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    started a topic Build Sheet question regarding 51 Land Cruisers

Build Sheet question regarding 51 Land Cruisers

The build sheet for my 51 Land Cruiser indicates the 'MODEL AND BODY TYPE' as H-Y5 CUTTER. I have seen a build sheet for another 51 LC indicated as H-Y5 CORSAIR. I know the H is Commander, Y5 means Land Cruiser, but what do the 'CUTTER' and 'CORSAIR' suffixes indicate?

Thanks,

Jim
Working...
X