New book on the M29 Weasel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book on the M29 Weasel...

I ran across this newly released book on the Weasel on Amazon and received it today. It's full of photos from the development, wartime use and restored examples today. It's long on photos...more so than text but it's still a neat book on the Weasel which rarely seems to get attention.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Yet another lottery win vehicle that would be fun to have. Photo from Red Ball Meet in Pleasant Valley, PA, 2011.

Comment

The last Weasel that I remember seeing, other than at a Studebaker meet, was parked near the highway between Inverness and Crystal River in Florida.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I saw a Weasel in operation once. It was being driven by a drunken police officer in Denton Texas.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I had a chance at one with bad tracks for $2500 once that otherwise was in great shape. I wish I had bought it. Just couldn't figure out how I was going to load the thing.
          Matter of fact, it was in North Florida somewhere.

Comment

I love it! These vehicles and other Studebaker ventures/affiliations are fun (for me) conversations to engage in at cars shows and cruise-ins. Other related ventures, like pocket watches, STP, The WWII bomber engines, Gravely, Paxton, etc. Some folks will be very attentive, but others will give you that blank stare and their eyes sorta glaze over as they walk away in disbelief or bewilderment.

As for this publication, how much? Do you have a link? This would be great to display with our cars so that it provides documentation to our conversations. Although, you would probably have to keep a good eye on it to keep sticky fingers from pilfering it at an event. Perhaps this could be another item our SDC store could join up with the publisher and partner in marketing the book.

As for Weasles...they require a special kind of collector dedication. Like big commercial trucks, buses, fire trucks, and vehicles of the horse drawn era...in terms of space, housing, transporting, and upkeep. The commitment and dedication, in my humble opinion, is a relatively small group. I have been to several meets where Weasles have been displayed, and have met their owners and always try to engage them in conversation and thank them for bringing them. I'm already a source of great curiosity in my community with my Studebakers, "old iron" implements, and assorted junk & animals. With a Weasel...no telling what kind of terror I could stir up.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I love it! These vehicles and other Studebaker ventures/affiliations are fun (for me) conversations to engage in at cars shows and cruise-ins. Other related ventures, like pocket watches, STP, The WWII bomber engines, Gravely, Paxton, etc. Some folks will be very attentive, but others will give you that blank stare and their eyes sorta glaze over as they walk away in disbelief or bewilderment.
              You don't know how much I love it when at a car show I can point out a Shelby that needed a genuine Studebaker part to make it go faster!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=shelby

Craig

Comment

It was $16.11 from Amazon if you want the book itself. It's $11.00 if you want to download it a tablet device. https://www.amazon.com/Weasel-Tracke...gateway&sr=8-1

It's probably available from other sources like Barnes & Noble as well. For an interesting book on a Studebaker that's little known outside of Studebaker circles it's very affordable.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I am blessed (mostly that the Mrs. allowed me) to own a 1944 Weasel here on our British Columbia mountain property. I can attest that in very deep snow, one simply points it up hill and it just goes where it's pointed. With a two speed Clark differential, it is practically unstoppable with six forward and two reverse gears.The 170 CID flathead just purrs beside you keeping you warm to boot.
                  Tons of fun!
                  Bill

Comment

We had a picnic years ago for the Garden state chapter and So,Jersey chapter , Anyway a gentleman brought one on a trailer and we had a blast riding in it around the Clines tree farm , I was surprised how quickly it could get moving , Ed

Comment

Many of us had a blast riding around in John Benter's Weasel at the North Central Zone Meet a number of years ago.

I posted photos of his Weasel here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ype-paint-Jobs

Craig

Comment

I got to go for a ride in Tom Molnar's weasel at the engineering building. Quite a ride! I'll have to order that book, thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          I saw a Weasel in operation once. It was being driven by a drunken police officer in Denton Texas.
                          I don't remember it exactly that way... musta been Loy! Somewhere, there's a pic... OOPS!:

Beauty and the Beast:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Denton24.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1728798

Click image for larger version

Name:	Denton18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1728797
                          Last edited by Studedude; 07-17-2019, 01:50 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            The last Weasel that I remember seeing, other than at a Studebaker meet, was parked near the highway between Inverness and Crystal River in Florida.
                            Was it painted white?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              Was it painted white?
                              I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I usually remember all sorts of details about a vehicle, except color. I am not color blind. I do remember the colors of the 100+ cars that I have personally owned. Where I last worked, the Sales Manager used to fool with me on this. I would go out and evaluate a trade in. I would come back in and give him year, make, model, miles, condition in and out. Then he would ask what color it was. I had to go back out. He was just messing with me because it did not make much of a difference.

EDIT: It was off the north side of this east west highway (probably route 44).

EDIT II: There is someone that frequents this forum that resides in Crystal River. He could probably check for it.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X