X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by creegster View Post
    Well, there is a sticky at the top of the general discussion forum. Not that a newbie would look there first, but it does already exist.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82522[/ATTACH]
    It doesn't include the list of vendors, however. Maybe it should?

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Roy provided me with some examples. He was kind enough to do it in a PM as to not embarrass a member here.

I would suggest if you try to help a newbie and he ignores your help, that it's OK to move on to the next problem. Don't let it eat at you. Hopefully a few less than positive experiences won't stop us from continuing to try with the next guy.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    I think it's all a very mixed bag.
    And it may well have to do with the way an inquiry is presented, or worded; or it may be which side of the bed I got up on; or a combination.

Sometimes I am motivated to spend time searching, taking and editing photos, scanning diagrams or parts numbers, providing links and assembling an extensive reply.
    And other times, if I feel we are being used, I only provide a link, either to vendors, or to a page to join the SDC, where all questions are eventually answered.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Roy,
    Can you link to some examples of members doing that?
    Check your PMs.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-16-2019, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    This is an excellent thread, but there is another side to this same question.

Someone asks "what is wrong with my car?" We ask for more information about the car or the symptoms and they do not reply.

Or... we give them some tests to make to determine where the problem lies. They refuse to make the tests, but continue to ask "what is wrong with my car?"

Or... they have already decided what is wrong by shotgunning/guessing and they have misdiagnosed the problem and are unwilling to diagnose it properly.

If they do not understand the importance of the tests, or the importance of basic troubleshooting, but continue to want the correct answer and refuse to answer follow-up questions, how can we help without enough information?

Communication is a two way street.
    Roy,
    Can you link to some examples of members doing that?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    This is an excellent thread, but there is another side to this same question.

Someone asks "what is wrong with my car?" We ask for more information about the car or the symptoms and they do not reply.

Or... we give them some tests to make to determine where the problem lies. They refuse to make the tests, but continue to ask "what is wrong with my car?"

Or... they have already decided what is wrong by shotgunning/guessing and they have misdiagnosed the problem and are unwilling to diagnose it properly.

If they do not understand the importance of the tests, or the importance of basic troubleshooting, but continue to want the correct answer and refuse to answer follow-up questions, how can we help without enough information?

Communication is a two way street.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-16-2019, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Another thing that would help is to provide the individual with a part number and what Studebaker termed the item.

A lot of venders use the original parts numbers and some one who does not always know the names of items can make a phone call pretty frustrating.

I know one of our larger vendors employees said a lot of times they will ask for the person to send them a photo of what they need because “ that metal thingy in the brake area” is not going to get a lot of results.

The more positive response a visitor gets when looking for information, the better chance they will no longer be a visitor and will become an active member and can add to the overall participation here and elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• creegster
    replied
    Well, there is a sticky at the top of the general discussion forum. Not that a newbie would look there first, but it does already exist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 8.32.39 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1728788

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    You could provide this link...

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

...and provide your personal recommendation for a good source for the part.

Another answer that is not very welcoming when a newbie asks for help is..."Do a search". It would be friendlier to do a search yourself and provide a few good links (and maybe demonstrate how a search is done here).

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    started a topic Lending a "real" hand to those in need.

Lending a "real" hand to those in need.

I've noticed an all too common "thread" to many of the so called..."help" questions.
    This is mostly for the newer Stude owners, but also for most others asking questions like this also.

The question goes like this -
    Hi, I'm new here and just got my first Studebaker. I'm having trouble with xxxx. Can you please point me in the direction of / let me know where to find / help me with finding xxxx parts.

Answer -
    Any Stude vendor.

What kind of useless (non-) answer is this ? If the person knew WHERE...to find these, so called..."Stude vendors", do you think he / she'd be asking their questions here ?
    A link or two to a vendor wouldn't be too much to ask of the people answering the questions..??
    Really...taking too much of your time to actually help, rather than state the already painfully obvious..!?

Or maybe even better...one of those "sticky" things with the address of the "Studebaker Vendors" page..!
    For those who supposedly know...it ain't Rocket Science, to be able to actually lend a helping hand rather than just toss out semi-useless information...

Mike
Working...
X