No announcement yet.

Weather stripping / windlace sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The outer woven material seems to be permanently bonded to the inner hard foam.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      Thanks Skip, the reason I'm curious is that a windless made with foamed plastic would be less expensive than one made from cord/"rope" core. If the 62 Chevy was cord, or just a more expensive plastic, it would suggest that the difference was cost savings by Studebaker, totally realistic.

The problem back in those early years of some plastics applications was stabilization to resist UV, ozone and age were in it's infancy. Same thing happened to webbed lawn chairs, ones webbed from olefin plastics just feel apart after a short time due to rapid degradation. It took a number of years until those factors were understood and sorted.

Just my curiosity peaked, thanks - Bob
      The 62 Chevy windlace core material appears to be black foam rubber. However, the outer material is the same vinyl material that the seats are made of -- maybe protecting the core from deterioration.

Agree on the early plastics used in cars, too. I have a 70 Camaro and the top parts of the door panels are a textured hard plastic. These are notorious for disintegrating due to UV radiation -- a ready market for the aftermarket industry. The door panels in junk yard cars usually turn to powder. Fortunately,, my car was always garaged and rarely left parked in the sun with the windows down, so it still looks fine.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi John. I’ve completely disassembled my 53. I bought a complete package of weatherstripping from Valerie. One of the pieces got damaged and I wanted to replace it with another from the same company. Only that her company was acquired and I couldn’t remember who bought her company. I didn’t know about the OE windlace being of a poor rubber compound. No matter for me but it is interesting to know. I like when a conversation takes a turn now and then. It’s the way we speak in real life so why not here too?

Comment

If you have EVER had a Car stored in a attached House Garage and the property was Gassed/Tented for Termites, the Gas that used to be used will have destroyed all your Foam Seat Padding, Windlace Cores etc., etc.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

On point Rich. Is that true? Never heard this before.

Comment

Best source I've found for windlace is Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker. Headliners appear to be a crapshoot

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho View Post
                On point Rich. Is that true? Never heard this before.
                All I can say is the Seats in the cars in my Dad's Garage under the House in Lawndale, CA, did deteriorate, but I think the Fumigators have moved on from the "Really Good Stuff" now.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X