Correct color of a Stude GM engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct color of a Stude GM engine

I'm rebuilding a 283 from a '65 Stude and would like to give it the correct color treatment once assembled. Would greatly appreciate a paint code or just a picture. Thanks!

Very early, black with yellow valve covers. Later, through 1966, all black.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

There are several good pictures of the 283 on Bob Johnstone's site:
      http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/...83/65x283.html

...including this one:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	65x283x7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1728753
      Mike Davis
      Regional Manager, North Carolina
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

As thunderations stated, it depends on how early in the 1965 model year the car was asssembled.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...tory&styleid=1

Craig

Comment

They are ALL cast iron grey at some point..!

Mike

Comment

I painted mine with acrylic urethane in semi gloss black. I had yellow valve covers on mine and got the color close using an old picture I had. I also had the correct round edged decals without the “283” for the early 65 models. I have those decals available if you need them. I know the vendors sell the later decals with the 283 on them. I also reproduced the decal for the heat sink if your car has transistorized ignition. Let me know if you need any help.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker1965 View Post
                I painted mine with acrylic urethane in semi gloss black. I had yellow valve covers on mine and got the color close using an old picture I had. I also had the correct round edged decals without the “283” for the early 65 models. I have those decals available if you need them. I know the vendors sell the later decals with the 283 on them. I also reproduced the decal for the heat sink if your car has transistorized ignition. Let me know if you need any help.

Nate
                can you provide a photo of the valve cover decals please. thanks, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I will attach a couple of sets of pictures. I don't have a picture of the decal I reproduced for the valve cover and I'm on vacation but will include it when I get home. I have a picture of the round-edged original decal that was saved from an original late 65 engine. In the picture is an example of the vendor-supplied new decals with the 283 on it. Studebaker did not have 283 on the 65 engines. I think it was used in later 66 models. I will also share a picture of the original heat sink decal plus the decals I have reproduced. I also reproduced the air cleaner decal (this was done before our vendors had theirs made). I tried to use the exact font and colors. You can see my yellow valve covers are a pale yellow as opposed to a very bright yellow. This was created from pictures of stock 65 engines from my car as well as engineering pictures. So the color is not exact but as close as I could get. Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Valve Cover Decal.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1728766Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Valve Cover Decal NewOld.JPG
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1728767Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Engine Picture.JPG
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1728768Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Transistorized Ign Decal2.JPG
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1728769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3408.JPG
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1728770Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Transistorized Ign decal1.JPG
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1728771

Comment

"Studebaker 1965" The engine compartment looks excellent. Thanks for posting the pictures. Since we are dealing with nits - shouldn't your rocker arm covers hold downs be yellow?
                    Last edited by studegary; 07-15-2019, 10:11 AM.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Gary,

Great Eye! And yes I think you are correct. I really went back and forth on that one. I have plans to change them to yellow before finishing up. I even busted out the big bucks and purchased a correct Willard Battery to complete the look. As well as a NOS regulator and I purchased a set of NOS plug wires I may or may not use...not sure yet.

Nate

Comment

Thanks for the photos. I did not realize the early decals had rounded corners. Do you know if the decals were applied at the GM engine plant or if they were applied on the Stude assembly line? Same with the valve covers...were the engines shipped with black ones and then did Studebaker paint them yellow while they were installed on the engine? Cheers, Junior
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

My understanding was that the early engines with yellow valve covers were painted at GM to resemble the previous Studebaker engines. Later engines painted all black was to save $10 per engine. I believe the decals were installed at Studebaker.
                          Originally posted by junior View Post
                          Thanks for the photos. I did not realize the early decals had rounded corners. Do you know if the decals were applied at the GM engine plant or if they were applied on the Stude assembly line? Same with the valve covers...were the engines shipped with black ones and then did Studebaker paint them yellow while they were installed on the engine? Cheers, Junior
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I too think the valve covers were painter at the McKinnon plant and decals applied later. One question I had was if the oil filter canister had the AC Delco decal like the GM engines or if they were left black. I’ve kept mine black based on the engineering drawings. Does anybody know?

Comment

You guys are the best! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X