Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    For about 25 years I was the Potomac Chapter's rep to the committee that ran a rather large (~450 cars) local show sponsored by the city of Rockville, MD. Since the city ran it and it took place on city property, they got to make the rules, which were (at the time) a 25-year cutoff, and no hot rods or street rods. They always had a couple of city cops on-scene for security. The cops, while friendly, intelligent and imposing, usually knew nothing about old cars. So I was often called upon (along with a cop for enforcement) to either deny entrance to a unqualified vehicle that had gotten by the initial screening at the front gate, or throw one out that had already gotten on the field. These interactions were not always pleasant.

Most of the complaints about non-original cars came from someone else with a high-end, authentic restoration. Some judgement was required. Authenticity was supposed to be the guide, but I usually allowed someone with something like period-correct Cragar SS wheels or some modest custom touches to stay. It's easy to make things too hard.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    The thing that I noticed in the posted video is the nice wide parking spaces. Around here, they have been shrinking the spaces in order to get more cars in. Just last week, I was thinking that the spaces where I go grocery shopping at least once per week are small. I looked carefully and discovered that they had painted over the old parking lot lines and painted new lines closer together to squeeze more cars in.
    This has led to more parking lot dings. I try to be careful where I park and who I park next to, but often there is a different car next to mine when I return. A couple of weeks ago, when I got the most damage at the Galleria parking lot, there was no car on that side of my car when I came out after about one hour.
    That's one thing I really like about Costco. They have generous parking spaces to accommodate even the biggest SUV's with tons of room to load large purchases.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    I get more enjoyment driving the Lark around town; lot's of comment, questions and smiles! I avoid most of the local shows because I'm bored within the first hour....

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Most of the shows and cruise-ins around here allow any car. It is getting so that the majority of the cars are newer than my newest car. The last two shows put on by the local AACA chapter allowed cars up to 2001. I could have entered my everyday car that I went to the show in and won a trophy.

On Sat., June 15, I went to a show at the boathouse on the Hudson River at Marist College. It was a nice location and a nice show. Their cut-off year was 1994 (25 years old). There was quite a variey of cars including five Volvos. There were VERY few Chevrolets. I believe that there were more Plymouths + Dodges than Chevrolets.

The thing that I noticed in the posted video is the nice wide parking spaces. Around here, they have been shrinking the spaces in order to get more cars in. Just last week, I was thinking that the spaces where I go grocery shopping at least once per week are small. I looked carefully and discovered that they had painted over the old parking lot lines and painted new lines closer together to squeeze more cars in.
    This has led to more parking lot dings. I try to be careful where I park and who I park next to, but often there is a different car next to mine when I return. A couple of weeks ago, when I got the most damage at the Galleria parking lot, there was no car on that side of my car when I came out after about one hour.

Leave a comment:

• thom
    replied
    I can walk right on by the stuff that doesn't interest me at shows. The more the merrier. One thing I don't like is drones flying around overhead, taking pictures or not. Somebody is going to get hurt or killed or a car will be damaged. I don't trust strangers flying those thing above my head or over my car.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    I don't have a problem with the late model stuff that shows up at local type car shows. The show I referenced is still billed as an antique show and once had very early cars and some full classics among the more common 30s and 40s cars. This year they even had a few street rods and rat rods. I couldn't believe it.

Leave a comment:

• 50pete
    replied
    It wasnt what he said but how he said it
    Of course he had his trophy wife with him. Honestly i checked her out more then his car. Glad my wife doesn"t read this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    I wanted to tell him where he could park the new pos but kept my composure
    Thanks for keeping your cool. Frankly, if I had the money - I would have a new Challenger because they are good looking cars that resemble what I remember from my youth. And since they are bigger, I'd still fit. Of course - I'd get a buttload of nice Studebakers first, then get the Challenger.

When is some brave Studebaker guy going to take a couple South Bend Challengers and Daytonas to a Mopar show to mess with them. After all - we used the names before they did.

Leave a comment:

• j.byrd
    replied
    Love the 4CV ! A kid in my hometown had one for a few months and we had a ball with him while we were pushing it around , ha ! I think they are very good looking little cars and it seems like a big bike engine (like they do in the Minis) would be a hoot ! Marvin's car was even the same color as yours lelshaddai... I always thought the 3 lug nuts were a bit strange, but having ridden in Marvin's the one time he had it running long enough to take us for rides, it is certainly not going to break anything with torque, ha ! Honest, in spite of my true comments, I do love 'em, and have tried a couple of times to buy one !

Leave a comment:

• lelshaddai
    replied
    Hopefully in the next year I can show up in this. That ought to shake things up as different.

Leave a comment:

• 50pete
    replied
    Originally posted by 50pete View Post
    I was at a local drive in its a place where all the car guys hang out. I was parked next to a guy with a new challenger, when i opened the hood of my power hawk he said wow that must have been a lot of work. i said yeah but its good therapy
    His response. I just bought mine like it is
    I Dont have to work on it.
    I wanted to tell him where he could park the new pos but kept my composure
    I just dont think new cars should be lined up
    With classics.
    Maybe ill go back next week in my new 2019 tundra. Hey its a 381 hp V8

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree with some of the negativity I'm seeing voice here. At a time that old car ownership and participation in events is waning, I find it gratifying that there are still events worth going to. It's common to find Studebaker owners, or any independent owner for that mater, to carry a chip on his shoulder. When I take one of my seldom seen cars to an event I don't experience any animosity, on the contrary the response is generally very positive. I guess if I was looking for a fight I could find it. When I go to a car event my intent is to enjoy myself. I'm comfortable with the cars that I display, but knowing full well that they will never appeal to everyone. As I've said before there are Ford people and Chevrolet people, and then there is everyone else. Most interest in the cars that I display is going to come from the third group. It's been like that for seventy years, nothing is going to change that dynamic. To be honest Ford and Chevy people don't have much for the other groups cars either.
    X2. I also am not attracted to some of the cars at car show...so I walk past them. Some folks are not interested in what I bring.

It would be a pretty boring hobby if we all liked exactly the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Fords and Chevrolets; there are lots of neat models but they are like noses.
    Then attend this show in November: https://www.mcacn.com/

They will be the 'rarest of the rare' Chevs, Fords and Mopars that you don't see everyday, but best of all, there will be some Studebakers present!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    There is nothing wrong with Fords and Chevrolets; there are lots of neat models but they are like noses. Almost everyone has one.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Sorry but I don't agree with some of the negativity I'm seeing voice here. At a time that old car ownership and participation in events is waning, I find it gratifying that there are still events worth going to. It's common to find Studebaker owners, or any independent owner for that mater, to carry a chip on his shoulder. When I take one of my seldom seen cars to an event I don't experience any animosity, on the contrary the response is generally very positive. I guess if I was looking for a fight I could find it. When I go to a car event my intent is to enjoy myself. I'm comfortable with the cars that I display, but knowing full well that they will never appeal to everyone. As I've said before there are Ford people and Chevrolet people, and then there is everyone else. Most interest in the cars that I display is going to come from the third group. It's been like that for seventy years, nothing is going to change that dynamic. To be honest Ford and Chevy people don't have much use for the other group's cars either.
    Last edited by Hallabutt; 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X