Cars shows: same old Chevro-Fords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars shows: same old Chevro-Fords?

I attended a show with my Sky Hawk at a winery on the north fork here on LI, and it must have been 90% Chevvies, Fords, Corvettes, and seemingly endless late model and even brand new Mustangs. The only thing that makes it worth while are the occasional, classics and independents, such as a magnificent 1934 Cadillac convertible, a couple of 1948 Lincolns, and a Crosley. I understand that they let these new/newer cars in because they help to raise money for the sponsoring organization, but it makes for a mostly uninteresting show. It seems as if only AACA-sanctioned shows keep the 25-year guidelines any more. I think I'm going to have to be a bit more selective in the coming car season.
    peter lee

Jeff and Carrie Rice, my wife and I attended a new local car show yesterday and we were very pleasantly surprised at the diversity of cars and trucks there.
    Granted that the SBC was the dominate engine of choice but there were Mopars, Fords, and even a few orphans. The neat part was watching Jeff in the Yellow POS be taken to the very front of the show and being placed right in front of all the main stage happenings. It was just amazing to sit and watch people stop in their tracks, take pictures and gawk at how neat that vehicle is. Congrats to Jeff and Carrie for the entertainment they provided. Bill

Comment

Peter,

I know what you mean. I agree that the new cars have a lot of new tech and are scary fast, but if I wanted to see them I would just go to a dealership.

There is a place for them at car shows, but comparing a new Challenger or Camaro straight off the showroom floor to a restored Studebaker, even an Avanti, or to any pre-1980's car, is apples to oranges. One guy has poured limitless time and effort into restoring a piece of history; the other applied a coat of Mequiar's. I'm not knocking the new cars nor their owners: It's just that what they have and what we, the old cars guys, own are simply not comparable.
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I was at a local drive in its a place where all the car guys hang out. I was parked next to a guy with a new challenger, when i opened the hood of my power hawk he said wow that must have been a lot of work. i said yeah but its good therapy
        His response. I just bought mine like it is
        I Dont have to work on it.
        I wanted to tell him where he could park the new pos but kept my composure

Comment

I am beginning to understand why the guys who were into brass era cars, and the like, considered 1940s cars unworthy. My brother and I attended a very long running "antique" car show two weekends back that included some vehicles that I would have thought got lost on their way to the spectator parking. There was even a Dodge Hellcat in the show. There were some super looking oldies though, including a beautiful Auburn.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

New Corvettes seem to be the car of choice here...by the "old guys" !!!! I, like others, cannot understand why on earth someone wants to go to a dealer, buy a new car, and start entering it in car shows. I know very well why someone would want a new car to use daily, but...... Oh well, perhaps more of the abandoned or forgotten oldies will come available to us other "old guys" to enjoy.

Comment

What’s a POS in post #2?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                What’s a POS in post #2?
                Just another poor old studebaker...

I always make a point of complimenting people at shows who don't have a "typical" old car at a show. Really nice couple at a show a few years ago in a '57 Chevy four door hardtop. Thing that caught me eye is that it still had its six cylinder engine. I thanked them for not putting a SBC under the hood to which the owner replied, "why would I do that? That is the motor it had in it when we bought it new so why would it need something different."
                Last edited by 62champ; 06-24-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

piece of s%$#

Comment

Personally...I'm thrilled that (except for Studebaker meets), the shows and cruise-ins are not full of Studebakers! If they were that common, then car shows would be like just another trip to Walmart. In spite of my efforts to be a unique person... I'm already more "average" than I like to admit...but, showing up at an event driving a Studebaker is sufficiently acceptable to qualify as different, and certainly not "common or average."
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                      Jeff and Carrie Rice, my wife and I attended a new local car show yesterday and we were very pleasantly surprised at the diversity of cars and trucks there.
                      Granted that the SBC was the dominate engine of choice but there were Mopars, Fords, and even a few orphans. The neat part was watching Jeff in the Yellow POS be taken to the very front of the show and being placed right in front of all the main stage happenings. It was just amazing to sit and watch people stop in their tracks, take pictures and gawk at how neat that vehicle is. Congrats to Jeff and Carrie for the entertainment they provided. Bill
                      That was a fun show. Super nice crowd. A tad hot, but still fun..
                      Here's a video of the show.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-24-2019, 10:00 AM.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sorry but I don't agree with some of the negativity I'm seeing voice here. At a time that old car ownership and participation in events is waning, I find it gratifying that there are still events worth going to. It's common to find Studebaker owners, or any independent owner for that mater, to carry a chip on his shoulder. When I take one of my seldom seen cars to an event I don't experience any animosity, on the contrary the response is generally very positive. I guess if I was looking for a fight I could find it. When I go to a car event my intent is to enjoy myself. I'm comfortable with the cars that I display, but knowing full well that they will never appeal to everyone. As I've said before there are Ford people and Chevrolet people, and then there is everyone else. Most interest in the cars that I display is going to come from the third group. It's been like that for seventy years, nothing is going to change that dynamic. To be honest Ford and Chevy people don't have much use for the other group's cars either.
                        Last edited by Hallabutt; 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with Fords and Chevrolets; there are lots of neat models but they are like noses. Almost everyone has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                            There is nothing wrong with Fords and Chevrolets; there are lots of neat models but they are like noses.
                            Then attend this show in November: https://www.mcacn.com/

They will be the 'rarest of the rare' Chevs, Fords and Mopars that you don't see everyday, but best of all, there will be some Studebakers present!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                              Sorry but I don't agree with some of the negativity I'm seeing voice here. At a time that old car ownership and participation in events is waning, I find it gratifying that there are still events worth going to. It's common to find Studebaker owners, or any independent owner for that mater, to carry a chip on his shoulder. When I take one of my seldom seen cars to an event I don't experience any animosity, on the contrary the response is generally very positive. I guess if I was looking for a fight I could find it. When I go to a car event my intent is to enjoy myself. I'm comfortable with the cars that I display, but knowing full well that they will never appeal to everyone. As I've said before there are Ford people and Chevrolet people, and then there is everyone else. Most interest in the cars that I display is going to come from the third group. It's been like that for seventy years, nothing is going to change that dynamic. To be honest Ford and Chevy people don't have much for the other groups cars either.
                              X2. I also am not attracted to some of the cars at car show...so I walk past them. Some folks are not interested in what I bring.

It would be a pretty boring hobby if we all liked exactly the same thing.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X